ITV This Morning

osiris8siriso

osiris8siriso

Itv's This Morning (a morning show for us Brits) are doing an interview with an asexual later on today. I think they said at 11am but I'm not sure.

I'm hoping its covered well, sometimes the presenters come across as a little close-minded. :(

osiris8siriso

They've already started smirking and laughing when the headline is brought up, it's not looking good so far :(.

I'm watching it. They're actually covering it really well. I'm happy with it, at least.

Edit: They're talking about AVEN!!!

osiris8siriso

It's pretty great actually! Just don't read the twitter comments :/

Didn't see all of it, but caught quite a chunk. I thought it came across very well - so well done Lisa! :D I hope it'll be available on Youtube or somewhere else accessible for the rest of the world (and me, who'd love to see it all the way through without having to watch all of the programme)

Just watched it.

I was worried that it was going to be just another generalization, but I could really relate to what she said.

Did she say she was vegan too? Marry me! lol.

It's pretty great actually! Just don't read the twitter comments :/

I know. They're actually quite hilarious. A woman says she doesn't like sex and has no interest in it so people respond by saying, "You know what you need? Sex. It'll make you feel better."

• Like 2

I'm glad they can get the word out though. If it helps one person discover their asexuality after thinking there's something wrong with them, it'll be worth a million immature Twitter comments.

Ah, missed that, I'll have to find it if it gets put up on youtube; good to hear it was handled well. As for the comments on twitter, I think it's hardly abnormal for the internet to be making offensive comments :mellow:.

edit: thanks for the link.

Whilst I appreciate the use of the word asexual and the mention of AVEN, the psychologist then says that "there are lots of people who have this issue". 'Issue', nice.

And Lisa calls herself an asexual in the interview but the little description in the above link says this gem:

Instead, Lisa hopes to find a man who is willing to embrace her celibacy

So I'm a bit miffed at that, but overall, Lisa; you were wonderful and I genuinely hope that there were some viewers who were open minded enough to take this on board.

And then I looked at the comments on Twitter because I am an idiot. Hahaha.

• Like 1

I was annoyed by the use of "issue" as well but, to be fair, she then went on to say, "it's actually an orientation." I think the whole issue comment was meant for people who may be asexual but aren't aware that asexuality exists. Before I knew what I really was, I certainly thought it was an issue.

Thank goodness Richard and Judy aren't still doing this show. That would have been a horror show like no other.

One of my favourite lines from the comedy double act, was Judy laughing and calling someone who had been hospitalised with O.C.D. as being "So STUUUUUpid".

• Like 1
Electric Barbarella

Not sure I want to check the link now (I'm being super lazy, yes), but from the comments here I guess we should all be glad asexuality was handled well on tv, eh? That makes me happy.\o/

http://www.itv.com/thismorning/life/i-will-never-have-sex-again/

That was the scariest thing I have EVER done lol. I was a little disappointed as I wanted Pip and Holly, but Ruth and Eamon were the nicest people you could possibly hope to meet. Everyone was amasingly kind (Esepcially Martin who discussed the headlines) I went to the toilet with Kerry Katona and saw all of Atomic Kitten. Very surreal. Emma (the shrink) was an absolute star and was on my side from the get go. Everyone was brilliant! x

• Like 6

When I said I didn't miss much - I meant much time of the interview, only the introduction (I saw it on 'Player' :) ) . Very well done, I'd have been a gibbering wreck, just couldn't have done it but I'm glad you did :D

• Like 1

I was nearly sick, spent the morning downing coffee and had to put my hands between my legs because they were shakign so much, but everyone was so very very kind and patient! x

I just watched it on the website (because I was in school at 11:00 :() and I thought it was brilliant. It seemed to go really well. Unlike all the other interviews I've watched about asexuality they actually seemed to take it seriously and didn't mock it in any way which was great. What was even better was that the psychologist herself admitted asexuality is an orientation and fully supported it, unlike the psychologists I've seen on other interviews who are skeptical at the very least and sometimes a little offensive.

It was overall the best interview about asexuality I've ever watched and it brought a smile to my face. ^_^

Well done and thank you Lisa Smith, you did the world some good.

Edit: Good lord the sheer amount of ignorance in the twitter comments is astounding. Did they learn nothing from the interview? Oh yeah, they did, they just prefer to think it is a bunch of lies rather than open up their minds to the truth and accept it. They (and their ignorant minds) really are like the pupils of the eye: the more light you try to shine through them the more they contract and the smaller they get. -_- Good Lord I cannot believe humans sometimes.

I really could not believe the sheer disrespect. Did they not listen to the psychologist? Good Lord.

• Like 2

I was nearly sick, spent the morning downing coffee and had to put my hands between my legs because they were shakign so much, but everyone was so very very kind and patient! x

It went really well. I was pleasantly surprised about how accepting they were.

Thank goodness Richard and Judy aren't still doing this show. That would have been a horror show like no other.

One of my favourite lines from the comedy double act, was Judy laughing and calling someone who had been hospitalised with O.C.D. as being "So STUUUUUpid".

I have OCD. If I'd watched that I would have immediately called up with a very long complaint asking for an apology for their inconsideration. But then again I may just be too sensitive.

A very good interview. I thought at one point they were only going to ask you about sex but they moved it on to other areas very well. You can be very proud of what you have done for us all.

• Like 2

As far as insults go, I've heard them all from the other articles I've done; 'Anorexic corpse', 'looks 68 not 29', 'has a face like a bag of smashed crabs'. I'm an incredibly self conscious person with stupidly low self esteem, but for some reason, the insults don't bother me one bit. Probably because I know the people writing them are beyond pathetic and aren't happy unless they're making someone else feel rubbish. Plus I've lived 29 without owrrying about their opinion, so why start now? ;p x

• Like 2

I have OCD. If I'd watched that I would have immediately called up with a very long complaint asking for an apology for their inconsideration. But then again I may just be too sensitive.

I too have O.C.D. and was hospitilalised with it, but I didn't have the strength to complain.

@Lisa Smith- :) Thankyou. I found it to be a very good interview and you showed strength once again. And, just like the last time, ignore the braindead morons and their redundant remarks.

:cake::cake: :cake:

• Like 2

I just watched the interview on the catch-up TV thing, I thought it was really good! I was worried they'd get a psychologist who'd present it as some 'condition', but the moment she metioned the 1% statistic it was clear she'd done her research :) Thanks Lisa!

• Like 1

Emma was amasing. She was so warm and knowledgable and put me at ease instantly. When they said they'd have a Psych on, I was terrified it would be someone who would essentially shoot me down, but she was so supportive! I might start a fan club for her x

• Like 2