What Exactly Is Gender?

poetker

I always assumed I was a male because I have all the male equipment. But after figuring out my sexual and romantic identities I've started wondering, what really makes someone a male/female gender? Like, if you had to define the two. How would you do it?

To put it in simple terms as I've heard them from someone here before:

Sex is between the legs, gender is between the ears

or something like that. >_>

I'm Agender or Nutrois, which means I don't have a gender. I have always related closely to male characters on shows or in books as opposed to females. I still act like a girl sometimes but that doesn't mean I am not Agender. Most people say I am just very calm and a little distant like I am thinking about something, as opposed to feminine or masculine that is.

The Pofessional

"Gender is what you are, sex is who you do."

Don't know where I first heard that but it works for me.

I would go a step further and narrow it down in to: "Gender is what you feel you are, and sex is what you are born with, and sexuality is who you would like to have sex with'."

Just because "sex" in this instance refers to assigned sex, not the act.

Gender is what you feel in your mind/brain or presentation.

Sex is not always what your born with/assigned at birth in the cases of intersex/Hermaphroditism, but for most it is what your born with or assigned at birth.

Sexuality/Orientation is who you have sex/intimacy with.

I started thinking about this a few months ago, I still have no idea what gender is but I id as agender because when I look in a mirror and say "I am a boy" sounds wrong, and same with girl/woman; neither male, female or the stuff in between seem to fit...

I didn't know what gender was until a few months ago. I thought gender and sex were the same thing. Even though I felt a boy my whole life, I identified as female because my anatomy is female. They NEED to teach the difference between gender and sex at a young age.

Sex: Your body parts. Your genitals. "Girls" have certain parts, and "boys" have other parts.

Gender: Who you are. Most of the time, girls act one way and boys act another way according to their biological sex (their bodies.) Sometimes, people feel as if they are a boy in a girl's body or a girl in a boy's body. This person is transgender. Their identity, who they feel they are, doesn't match their body. Often they are repulsed by the body and genitals they have. For instance, a male in a female body will either want a penis, to get rid of the chest, or both.

Most of the time, girls act one way and boys act another way according to their biological sex (their bodies.)

Act accordingly to biological sex? Oh, I'd like evidence of this please to be convinced of gender(s). Yes, there are biological studies that suggests gender is real though it dismisses the possibility of neuro-plasticity and it suffers from small sample size.

Most of the time, girls act one way and boys act another way according to their biological sex (their bodies.)

Act accordingly to biological sex? Oh, I'd like evidence of this please to be convinced of gender(s). Yes, there are biological studies that suggests gender is real though it dismisses the possibility of neuro-plasticity and it suffers from small sample size.

Does this work?

AmoebaAssociate

Did you even read the Wikipedia page detailing that man? It was a prime example of gender being present and even causing body dysphoria.

There's a reason the term "transgender" exist.

Cisgender women are naturally drawn to mothering children, and cisgender men are naturally drawn to hunting and finding food for the family.

I mean, not anymore, but that's how our brain works. Now, it's more of that girls like to play with baby dolls and boys like more "violent" things that usually result in saving one or killing someone. That's not always the case, but it's almost common sense in a way.

I wouldn't say society drew up this idea, but they definitely blew it out of proportion. Some natural females don't feel that instinct to be mothers and care for the household, and they'd rather do what the "men" do. This is, unfortunately, questionable to a lot of people.

That_Girl_With_Red_Hair

While I'm perfectly fine with my female body as It is the one I was born with and have always had ( I'm fine with and use female pronouns). The whole idea that gender is how you feel has always confused me to no end (I can recognize how it works for others) as I don't feel female or male on the inside, I don't know if this makes me agendered or what it makes me (still trying to figure that one out).

It's just easier to say female when asked because I don't know how happy the people who read forms that I have filled in would be I wrote 'I'm happily female bodied but I don't honestly give a f*** what you call me.' On the line where I fill in my gender and/or sex, everything's got fit into neat little boxes right and a lot of people aren't happy if it doesn't.

Archived