When did you hit puberty?

pejoratist

When did you hit puberty (relative to your peers)?  

1. 1.

• Relatively early (male)
    • Relatively early (female)
    • About average
    • Relatively late (male)
    • Relatively late (female)

This poll is closed to new votes

Damien Day

It's all a bit vague. My voice started breaking at the age of 11 or 12(I think 11 is more likely). Testicles/ Pubic hair didn't appear till 13.

Loki

pejoratist
In regards to either sex, those that hit puberty at a young age tend to prefer the opposite sex in a highly masculinized or feminized form, respectively.

C. A. Tripp, the Kinsey associate, in his recent and posthumous book The Intimate World of Abraham Lincoln refers to a strong correlation in Kinsey's research between very early puberty in males (age 8 to 10) and high frequency of same-sex activity at a young age with a tendency towards same sex or bi sex activity throughout the rest of life.

For whatever that's worth.

boa

Worth quite a lot, sir! I do know that both homosexual males and females tend to have more testosterone in their bodies than the average (take THAT to the masses that view male homosexuals as feminine and weak).

nonentities
I just hope to God that when I tell my mom she doesn't make me pancakes shaped like the female reproductive system like the mom in the video.

Ahaha, oh my god, I definitely saw that same video.

Menarche started around 15 when I was visiting a French pen-pal who lived in the lodge of a chateau (outside toilet, no bath or shower, just a shallow concrete sink in the kitchen for the family to wash in, had to share a bedroom with my penpal and her 19 year old brother.... yup, pretty traumatic).

Sex drive - what's that? I don't believe I've been introduced...

Self-esteem fluctuates depending on whether I've thoughtful and considerate towards other people or feel I've been irritable or ungracious.

Damien Day
Worth quite a lot, sir! I do know that both homosexual males and females tend to have more testosterone in their bodies than the average (take THAT to the masses that view male homosexuals as feminine and weak).

That doesn't correlate at all with what I've read in science journals. Most studies indicate no actual difference between gay men and heterosexual men as regards testosterone levels (though I think there are one or two indicating a higher than normal level of testosterone in lesbians). There are however studies showing that a prenatal exposure to a deficiency of testosterone leads to a higher rate of homosexuality.See the paragraph below:-

"Research in Britain, America, and Germany has all confirmed that a prenatal exposure to deficiency of testosterone increases the likelihood of a man becoming homosexual. Men with an extra X chromosome and men exposed in the womb to female hormones are more likely to be gay or effeminate, and effeminate boys do indeed grow up to be gay more often than other boys. Intriquingly, men who were conceived and born in periods of great stress, such as toward the end of World War II, are more often gay than men born at other times. (The stress hormone cortisol is made from the same progenitor as testosterone; perhaps it uses us the raw material, leaving less to be made into testosterone.) The same is true of rats" (taken from the website below:-)

http://www.neoteny.org/a/homosexuality.html

Loki

CellarDoor

I was almost 15 when I got my first period, which is relatively late, and I have a low sex-drive. I have high self-esteem when it comes to some things, and low with others.

I just hope to God that when I tell my mom she doesn't make me pancakes shaped like the female reproductive system like the mom in the video.

I dont want to know!!

*sticks fingers in ears*

LA LA LA LA LA!!!! I'M NOT LISTENING!!!

I was late -- approx. 16 years old though most of it didn't happen until my first year of college 17/18 yrs old where I grew several inches taller and developed all other female elements. I have average self-esteem and a very low sex drive.

I had welldeveloped breasts at 10, and began menstruating early in my 11th year. I have high self-esteem and no sex drive. O, and because that 11th year was quite disturbed (my mother seriously ill, so we were farmed out round the relations) my father could be said to be absent: he was certainly absent by the end of that year (he died.)

Onset of puberty? Totally average, boring, middle-of-the-pack, etc ...

I honestly can't evaluate my self-esteem. I think it's okay in most areas, but it seems to be totally missing wherever relationships of any kind are involved.

I believe that this is due to a consistent series of negative experiences, so is it low self-esteem or just an eventual, logical acceptance of cause and effect?

*clueless near Seattle*

-Greybird

Early. I was the first in my class to start developping breasts. I was ten.

It made me very self-conscious. Especailly since they stopped growing (about 13), as everyone else started. First period was one month before my elventh b'day.

I wouldn't describe myself as having low-self-esteem, but for the sack of argument I have, along with a non-existant sex drive.

LisaRochell

Slightly early - my first period was just before my 12th birthday, and I was one of the first people in my year to have one. My puberty was very quick - everything finished before I was 14, and I've only grown an inch or two taller since!

I have a virtually non-existent sex drive, and I don't have a sexual or romantic interest in anyone. My self esteem depends on the situation - if I'm with a group of strangers it's low, if I'm among a few friends it's average. I don't seem to have an aggressive bone in my body either. If I was interested, I guess I could have had my pick of partners, as I've had to shortage of 'offers' over the years. :lol:

• 1 month later...
Miss_Moneypenny

I was a late developer. I didn't "start" until I was 14 and didn't develop a chest until at least a year later than that.

When I entered my teens and still hadn't started, I was secretly hoping that there was something wrong with me, I hadn't got a uterus or something and wouldn't have to put up with that particular inconvenience. When it finally happened, I was so distressed, I was literally shaking. Not because I didn't understand what was happening, but because I had fervently hoped it wouldn't.

I hated reaching puberty because it seemed that overnight I lost my mental acuity, my thought processes weren't as sharp, everything lost its crystalline edge.

• 3 weeks later...

I was 11 when I got my first period. I really hated being ahead of all of the other girls in my grade, and I could feel that I was treated differently because I looked more mature.

Guest cases

When I was 14.........In high school....

and I didnt just hit puberty.....I beat the shit out of puberty and then pressed my thumbs into his eyes....

and he is still bothering me :(

• 2 weeks later...
Mrthedude87

I hit pretty early myself. Can't pinpoint for you an exact year (although I'm still only 16 but my memory is terrible) but I've been shaving since 14 and I already have more hair on my back and... rear end than most guys in their mid 30s. I hit quite early and I have pretty much no sex drive and I'm considered one of the most sensitive and caring guys in amongs the group of 40+ friends I hang around with.

I was 12. Fairly average I think. I never had high self-esteem as a kid, though that has changed. Or is changing. It's certainly improved a hell of a lot since then. As for the sex drive, it's low. It was much higher when I was going through puberty.

Puberty was very subtle for me and I think I started going through puberty changes at a slightly younger age then normal. About 11 or so. The physical changes of puberty didn't really show until a few years later though. And even then, it was nothing drastic. As a child, I was of average height and average everything. I started going through puberty in the 6th-7th grade. I grew like 1 inch/year for a few years and I'm 18 now and 5'2". I don't have a very womanly body, and I have a bit of a babyface so a lot of people guess my age to be younger then 18. Also, people who have known me for many years recognize me very easily because I hardly ever change. You can literally take a photo of me from the 8th grade and compare it to the 12th grade and I will look almost exactly the same. I don't know if that has anything to do with puberty though.

I'd just pased the 11+ and gone to Grammar School, so I suppose for the time (1960) I was early. However, I have never been confident, quite the opposite.

I started getting breasts when I was 11. My period started when I was 13 3/4. I think that's about average.

• 1 month later...

12 for first wet dream, fairly average sex drive. I think. Kind of only got statistics much later. How many people actually ask their friends how frequently THEY relieve themselves of sexual energies? o_O

Anyway, I have a what I see as decent amount of self-esteem; I just can't handle talking to other people. I might question myself for a better understanding, be confused, or unable to do some things, but I don't think much less of myself for it. Not to be confused with not at all. How I feel about me is influenced by other people, but not to the point where I'd be depressed about it unless it was someone really close to me that said something to make me feel inadequate.

I think it's about average or reasonable anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I started very early. I think i started my periods around the age of 9 and started to grow breasts soon after.

Needless to say i was VERY selfconsious of my body as a child. Still am actually. :roll:

• 2 weeks later...

Crazy height changes-13

Chest and period-14

Okay, well chest is sort of ongoing :lol: I suppose you could even say 16 for that one as when I was 15 there were still girls yelling "Still waiting for the boob fairy there?"

That's considered a little late isn't it? Oh, and I lack desire. I can be physically (like aesthetically I suppose) attracted but I don't ever want to do anything like that.

• 1 month later...

Period: age 8.

Breasts and curves: 9-16. I don't THINK they're changing anymore.

I think the stats blew that theory out of the water.

I got my period at age 12 - Christmas Eve. Thanks Santa!!

Though I'm sure it all started before that. I had my first "crush" when I was like 10 or 11. But who knows if it wasn't just because they told us we were supposed to have those feelings.

Got my sex drive at age 19.

I really don't think there was a line where I just started going through puberty though. I don't really think it just happens one day and you wake up and say, "I am going to be going through puberty as of today" ... and then god knows when it stops, because I'm pretty sure I'm still going through it. Whatever. I don't know!

Archived