'Asexual' in the news - negatively

Orbit

I just did a News Google on "Asexual" the 4 top stories there right now mention asexual in a NEGATIVE way. :evil:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c...amp;type=movies

Dear Mick LaSalle: I found Katharine Hepburn virtually asexual and rather silly and transparent in her early pictures. Later, as in "The Lion in Winter, " she was an actress with great depth and was much more appealing.

http://news.asianweek.com/news/view_articl...category_id=172

For years, the mass media have stirred up images that can only be described as anti-Asian male: quiet, submissive boy-toy guy, inscrutable kung-fu guy, asexual, pliant guy and chauvinistic blockheads are a few of the usual suspects.

This next one is particularly disturbing - they want more sex in the workplace! :( Apparently, an asexual work environment is bad for business??

http://www.computerworld.co.nz/cw.nsf/0/93...84?OpenDocument

If an organisation wants to ensure it fosters plenty of innovation, it needs more sex in the workplace.

That’s the view of IT Catalysts president Bob Lewis. However, Lewis isn’t talking about sex among co-workers; rather, he’s talking about sharing innovative ideas.

He says a business with branch offices could plan all its innovations at its headquarters, but that's attempting divine creation.

“As few business leaders are divine, the odds of anything useful happening are limited, proportional to the number of former branch employees working at headquarters.”

He says another option is to encourage each branch office to innovate, according to its circumstances.

“But if that's all the company does, it's asexual. The branch offices will diverge and because each will have to reinvent each other's innovations, progress will be slow.”

It also means the IT department has to support what will become many ways of doing business — and that's where Lewis says sex comes into it.

EXCUSE ME? I'm one of the most creative people I know - if I say so myself - and I'm ASEXUAL... And frankly, some of the sexualized so called sexy innovative ideas I've seen in commercials and in movies and tv and on the Apprentice - are cheesy, sleezy and not very original at all. Is SEXUAL attraction and excitement the ONLY way to inspire people??? I THINK NOT! *huffs*

http://news.mongabay.com/2005/0506-tina_butler.html

istorically, Hollywood has presented one mode of representation of the hospital and the inmate-as dangerous, incapable, burdensome, pitiable and pathetic, asexual or sexually deviant, as an object of violence or a comic character (Levers). In more recent years however, directors have attempted to topple these constructed prejudices surrounding the figures of the inmate, the medical worker and the institution.

Thoughts?

hawke

Silly Green Monkey

I feel that with most of the references mean a different definition than that of one lacking sex drive, but rather of lacking sexual characteristics (like androgynous).

With the workplace, it seems they are referring not to the sexual orientations of the workers, but of the sharing of ideas. Like the quote states. They are comparing the movement of ideas to movement of genes.

That last quote does make it sound like being asexual (while not sexually deviant) makes a person less than balanced mentally.

So - let 'em say what they want. I don't even stand for people I KNOW telling me who I am and who I'm not. Let alone strangers!

Well, it's not a big surprise for me. When I tried to search Polish internet to find anything about asexuality, this meaning

lacking sexual characteristics
was the only one I found. Well, now when you do a search my site comes out and some posts I made in various Polish forums. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!

But yeah, it's really annoying that there is that other negative definition of word 'asexual'

THAT'S what that beautiful accent is! My guess was Ukranian or (former) Yugoslavian so I wasn't too far off.

Er, in biology, when referring to certain kinds of life forms. I'm still shocked that people identify the term with what many of them learned only in HS before they break the term down, linguistically.

hawke: I'm blissfully unconcerned. I think people receive too much in the way of contradictory views on much more common subjects to be terribly sticky about how they understand 'asexual'. It's stll easy to point at AVEN, isn't it? You'll probably enjoy it less when those people use 'asexual' as we use it -- but with a sneer.

Silly Green Monkey

We didn't 'hijack' the term, it already had a meaning about sexual orientation.

girl_no_13
Er, in biology, when referring to certain kinds of life forms. I'm still shocked that people identify the term with what many of them learned only in HS before they break the term down, linguistically.

hawke: I'm blissfully unconcerned. I think people receive too much in the way of contradictory views on much more common subjects to be terribly sticky about how they understand 'asexual'. It's stll easy to point at AVEN, isn't it? You'll probably enjoy it less when those people use 'asexual' as we use it -- but with a sneer.

I hope that doesnt happen, but I suppose that as asexuality gets more (accepted? Talked about? Visable? Im not sure of the word i want) it will, and 'asexual' will become an insult in the same way as 'gay' or 'lesbian' has.

Completely fucked up.

Alot of people are sex-hungry idiots.

They think differently than us, and make out normal things to be completely terrible and bad because to them:

no sex = bad

Media sure knows how to screw things into the ground with a steriotypical upchuck...

• 2 weeks later...
Media sure knows how to screw things into the ground with a steriotypical upchuck...

I think thats all it is: stereotypes. I hate stereotypes.

Archived