How rare do you mean in "rarely experiencing sexual attraction"?

Anonartist

What is your personal definition of "rare" in this?

This is mostly aimed at gray asexuals, but demis as well. It's sort of a poll I guess. Perhaps this should go in the poll area. Hrm...

Anyways.

~If you identify as a gray-asexual, or rarely experiencing sexual attraction, how often is "rare"? If you know?

~Or if you only experience it in specific or rare situations, what sort of situations are they?

~As a demi would you ever feel attracted to someone you want to be that close with but aren't? Or only when you're and your partner are already that close?

Hi Anonartist. Although I do not identify as gray-asexual (I identify as Queer) I also rarely feel sexual attractions or what I would term a sex-drive. For me 'rare' seems to be that about a handful of times each year I experience sexual attraction and only about half of those times do I feel like or seek to act on those feelings. Usually if I experience sexual attraction it is towards other women, and about once a year I am sexually attracted to a man. I do feel drawn to people quite often, and interestingly I feel drawn to men more often in manner that I describe as 'resonance' because I feel a connection to their masculine side as I also strongly identify as male even though I am a biological woman.

In my case "rarely" means I´ve been sexually attracted only to one unbelievably nice and charismatic guy. :wub:

Which doesn´t mean I had sex with him/I will ever have sex with him. It´s very improbable.

Kitty Spoon Train

Never "directly". Only through actually connecting with someone on a personal and deep emotional level.

By the way, I'm one of those people who defines my demi/grey-asexuality more in terms of desire than "attraction". I don't think I've ever really been "sexually attracted" to anyone, in the sense of looking at a person and thinking "I want to have sex with them". In the past it mostly just came as a natural extension of emotional closeness and affectionate (nonsexual) physical intimacy. How long does that take? Months. And it's not guaranteed to happen.

So that's my two demi cents: basically "never directly". But can happen "indirectly". Although I don't really find it too useful to think of it as "sexual attraction", as such. Sorry if this is confusing. I don't know how better to answer it though. :lol:

Janus the Fox

Though subjective and individualistic, "rare" sexual attractions between people can be say... Once per week... To only ever once or experience a phase of frequent sexual attractions then nothing thereafter and everything in between.

Though I've had a rather odd experiences in the past and not really having a clue if I do experience sexual attractions, I do experience rare bursts of aesthetic attraction. Sometimes a similar story with libido, often having a connection with both genders in some way like sexual thought. Aromantic - Asexual otherwise...

Never "directly". Only through actually connecting with someone on a personal and deep emotional level.

By the way, I'm one of those people who defines my demi/grey-asexuality more in terms of desire than "attraction". I don't think I've ever really been "sexually attracted" to anyone, in the sense of looking at a person and thinking "I want to have sex with them". In the past it mostly just came as a natural extension of emotional closeness and affectionate (nonsexual) physical intimacy. How long does that take? Months. And it's not guaranteed to happen.

So that's my two demi cents: basically "never directly". But can happen "indirectly". Although I don't really find it too useful to think of it as "sexual attraction", as such. Sorry if this is confusing. I don't know how better to answer it though. :lol:

I'm the same because it's hard for me to know when aesthetic or romantic attraction crosses into sexual territory. Even though I've never really felt an instinctual drive to have sex, I do fantasize about sex a lot with a handful of individuals so I think being grey-a fits better. For me, it is more about the situation than the frequency since I find lots of people aesthetically attractive and have a high libido. I tend to make up backstories in my fantasies of celebrities and fictional characters; we don't necessarily need an emotional connection, but there needs to be some sort of familiarity or mutual understanding.

My partner has been kind of an anomaly in all of this because I did feel comfortable with him touching me in a flirtatious way, which suggests some type of attraction (I normally don't like physical contact). In the beginning, sex never entered my mind when I was with him, but now that we've been together for a couple of years and reached a place of trust and understanding, I can and do think about sex with him and not be filled with dread or apathy.

For me, "rare" is like a couple times per year. I'll have spurts where I'm super sexually-charged and feel like I've had live wires implanted in my loins, but I have a feeling that has more to do with me being a teenager than my sexual orientation. And it only happens two or three times per year; the rest of the year I'm about as sexual as your friendly neighborhood boulder.

Scarlett-Raine

I think there has only been one person I have ever been truly sexually attracted to from the outset. Just his presence and physical appearance made me desire sexual intimacy with him.

In my other relations with people, I have been more emotionally or intellectually attracted to them, and then they have instigated sexual things with me which I went along with. I very rarely have the desire to start something sexual with someone, unless we have become very close in other ways for quite a period of time. Even though I haven't instigated a majority of it, I have still been able to enjoy it. I mainly enjoy the fact that I am making the other person feel good, rather than anything they do to me.

Archived