Would you date yourself?

shockkkk

Would You Date Yourself?  

1. 1. Would you date yourself?

• Yes
    • No
    • Uncertain
    • No interest in romance/dating (aromantic)

This poll is closed to new votes

So, if there existed a duplicate version of yourself, would you date them? For simplicity assume this also includes being in anytime of romantic relationship with them. Also, assume the gender of this person is your preferred gender if you have one. For example, as a hetero-romantic male I would consider a female version of myself. Consider both personality and appearance of this hypothetical person.

Given that I posted in the 'ideal relationship' thread that my ideal relationship was with a female version of myself, it should be unsurprising that my answer to this question is a resounding yes. What about you?

at first I put yes, but then I stopped and thought about it. No I wouldn't. Personally I think it would be quite boring...you have the same interests in everything so there would be nothing new that the other person brings to the table. Id rather someone different to an extend, who is interesting and introduces me to new things and shit like that...

significantlysilent

I think I would say no because
a) I think I would get bored for the same reasons Aimeendfire stated...
and

b) I think I would probably get really angry at myself as I'm a stubborn and illogical person (in the insane logcial sense) person.... haha

Certainly not, I would lodge with me, lend money to me... but I certainly wouldn't date me !!!

If you take in the option of sex change... yes, I would. I think the complete lack of friction wouldn't be boring, but pleasantly calm and harmonious.

And the genitals are the only thing stopping me from being completely awesome, anyway. 8) :lol:

Date? Probably not, because I don't care much for the traditional "date", and presumably this clone of myself wouldn't care for it either. But we could totally hook up somehow if we got around the initial clone-weirdness.

Date? Probably not, because I don't care much for the traditional "date", and presumably this clone of myself wouldn't care for it either. But we could totally hook up somehow if we got around the initial clone-weirdness.

I'd see the date more like "eating a pizza together, watch a scifi flick, and delve into some crazy theories about the universe works"... there wouldn't be much in terms of romantic trappings or physical closeness, as neither of us likes that. ^_^

Kitty Spoon Train

I put down yes, but when I think about it - what I really mean is that I wouldn't mind being a close friend / cuddle buddy with a female version of myself. :lol:

Also: when I think about it more deeply, I can see that it could get boring being exactly alike. That's why I'd rather keep it in that cuddle buddy / friendship zone and still be open to actually "dating" someone else who complements me with some differences, rather than basically being a totally predictable human pet.

I'd see the date more like "eating a pizza together, watch a scifi flick, and delve into some crazy theories about the universe works"... there wouldn't be much in terms of romantic trappings or physical closeness, as neither of us likes that. ^_^

Yeah, to me that's more like a "hangout" rather than what most people would call a date. I like having separate terms to discern the differences so that people don't end up drawing wrong conclusions about these things >_>

Strongly yes. I want to write and code. When I can't do those things -- like when I'm hungry, which seems to be about 75% of my time -- I'd like to be gardening and cooking. It'd be a perfect trade for both of me.

Then there are the psych and physio issues [e.g. being closer to the asexual side of that one particular spectrum, celiac disease, and plenty more]. I've actually done the math on these: out of the English speaking population to which I have access, or even out of the seven billionish total, it is very unlikely that I could find someone compatible on the points most important to me.

To be fair, it wouldn't so much be "dating" as much as it would be like what happens when two halves of a magnetic putty are united.

Yes.

Notte stellata

I said "uncertain" but I lean towards "yes". It's very appealing to date someone with the same values and interests as me. But firstly, it depends on what this male version of me looks like - I don't want to date someone who looks too similar to myself, because that would feel weird; secondly, it depends on what "date" means. If it's more like "hangout" or a romantic friendship, I'm totally up for it; but if it leads to life sharing, I'd prefer someone who complements me in practical matters - someone who can drive, who is physically stronger than me, who is better at computers than me, etc. :D

I think myself and I would have very poor chemistry.

because there is only enough space in the room for one ego :)

No, frankly my dear, I am quite wrong, it is because of your very, very, big and wonderful heart :wub:

Sure, I would like to riff movies with me, eat pizza with me, and bounce thoughts off of myself, but the stubbornness and no one having any idea of what I'm thinking would get annoying. Simply, I don't know.

Kitty Spoon Train
If it's more like "hangout" or a romantic friendship, I'm totally up for it; but if it leads to life sharing, I'd prefer someone who complements me in practical matters - someone who can drive, who is physically stronger than me, who is better at computers than me, etc. :D
I cannot imagine anything more tedious than to date a male version of myself. We would have all the same character strengths and flaws, with nothing to learn from each other.

Yup. This is why I said in my reply the female version of me would be more of a cuddle buddy / hangout / romantic friendship than a partner. In a partner I'd definitely want more of a balance of compatibility and complement, not someone as boring as me.

It's nice to be able to have both though. Polyamory rules. :P

(The idea of having a sexual relationship with the female version of myself freaks me out anyway, so my mind is automatically parsing that into that romantic friendship secondary zone rather than "primary partner" anyway *shrug*)

at first I put yes, but then I stopped and thought about it. No I wouldn't. Personally I think it would be quite boring...you have the same interests in everything so there would be nothing new that the other person brings to the table. Id rather someone different to an extend, who is interesting and introduces me to new things and shit like that...
I think I would say no because

a) I think I would get bored for the same reasons Aimeendfire stated...

and

b) I think I would probably get really angry at myself as I'm a stubborn and illogical person (in the insane logcial sense) person.... haha

I have also wondered if I would get bored in such a relationship but the way I see it is: I haven't gotten bored with myself yet, and I have to deal with myself all the time.

Notte stellata
I have also wondered if I would get bored in such a relationship but the way I see it is: I haven't gotten bored with myself yet, and I have to deal with myself all the time.

That's how I see it too. Being a huge introvert, I'm pretty good at enjoying myself. ;)

Janus the Fox

Self dating... A great first date... Would get tiresome afterwards. Though I believe I'm attracted to self, I don't think it'll work if seeing a doppelgänger of myself... :wacko:

Yeah, to me that's more like a "hangout" rather than what most people would call a date. I like having separate terms to discern the differences so that people don't end up drawing wrong conclusions about these things >_>

You'd find quite a lot (though certainly not all) of the time I spend with R. to qualify as hangouts instead of dates, too, then... it's just how I roll, apparently. :D

Yes, (all hardships of imagining the arrangement of it aside) I would date my clone.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO. The more similar someone is to me, the more we clash. I'd definitely get into a kickboxing death match with my clone.

Sounds absolutely right in the core I am prestty sure we would have unbelievable big issues of bunking in at each other's and how long two of us might survive a marriage is questionable but hey when I imagine the clone being on the other end of my mood swings rainbow it might be freaking awesome to feel needed or pulled as needed. If the clone was exactly on my cycle it would probably end quickly though.

Would I date the biologically male version of myself? Hmm...Maybe. I'd probably prefer to be best friends with him and go around telling people we're twins or something. = ^_^=

I might try kissing 'male-me' (what a strange first-kiss that would be!). I'd consider that. But overall the best-friends fake-siblings idea sounds a lot more appealing to me.

Aromantic here.

I don't date, heck I flipped and freaked out the other day when someone else asked me out...I couldn't imagine what would happen if the male version of me asked me out.

Oasis, I don't know why but your comment made me laugh. I don't know you at all, but it totally made my day. Thanks for the laugh! :D

I don´t know. It would be probably too boring and predictable, as others mentioned, on the other hand there´s noone who could understand me as much as me.

Archived