The Sun (UK Tabloid) article is here

Lisa Smith

found the barstool article...wow. Feel pretty horrific right now. Is there any way we can force them to take it down? Here are a few delightful comments they've posted about me;

'D. Thank the Good Lord you’re not trying to f*ck me'

'I can't stop staring at D. She looks like a 2 day old bowl of Ramen noodles. Chicken flavored'

'D is clearly a succubus' -(I'm guessing they have no idea of the meaning of that word!)

'D looks like she is a human Q-tip and gets sunburned on the walk out to her car in the morning'

'a dead, anorexic, meth-addicted prostitute.'

'ill tell you what. id love to kick the sh*t out of D'

'D was plucked straight out of Shallow Hal.'

'I could have guessed that Marilyn Manson was asexual.'

'D is clearly an alien...'

I didn't realise that other people could use the page in this way. Honestly, right now, I feel like I don't want to ever leave the house again. I am seriously regretting it now. How can people be so heartless?

This might sound like an easy thing to say and it often comes across that way when someone else is telling you to ignore something.

What you have to remember, is that these are the sort of people who tweet about wishing some celebrity who has cancer, was dead. The sort of people who racially abuse sports personalities. The sort of lowlife, bottom feeding scum who have that mob mentality and congregate on stereotypical websites, spouting foulmouthed, common, caveman like responses, in order to get just one more "like" from the other morons who post there. I dare say most of them will be miserable in life and will not exactly be living the high life with a bevy of beautiful women.

From what I have seen written over the last two pages the mojority of people are happy about the article and a lot of people have thanked you and admired your bravey. These are the comments that matter. The comments from the people of the site, the community that you so happily mentioned.

Again, like I said at the start, it is easy for me to say "Ahhhh forget about those uneducated shitheads and focus more on the fact that not many people would have seen those remarks, no where near the amount that would have read your very positive article".

Easy to say I know, but you have done something very brave. And to be commended by the people, your people, the people that matter, that is something you should focus on. :cake::cake::cake:

• Like 3

My asexual article is in there (though they misquoted me a bit) I'm Lisa and it's over two pages! Yay! x

Congrats! I just read the article and I loved it! Thank you so much (and well done) for raising more awareness on asexuality in the UK!

I started reading the comments though and blimey. Lets just say I did a lot of flagging for comments being offensive. Jesus Christ. Some of the comments were nice but a majority were just bigoted, idiotic, close-minded twats typing up potentially offensive (or extrememly offensive) comments. Its such a shame but some people simply cant be reach through their thick, narrow skulls. (Sorry for that little rant there-some of those comments really rubbed me the wrong way.)

• Like 1

Honestly, I thought the article was okay, pretty good even, considering the asexuality movement is still in its comparative infancy.

The sex therapist was maybe a bit condescending but she meant well, and the interviewees spoke a lot about the myths surrounding being ace.

Would also like to add my appreciation of those interviewed, that took tremendous courage and they all came across well.

I take it this was the woman's section given the lack of males interviewed? I think it would take even more balls for a guy to do it given the link between sexuality and perceived masculinity.

As for the comments, well it is the Sun newspaper whose readership - especially those who take the time to get involved on their website - are pretty thick.

Edit: just read beyond the first page so read some of the 'comments', these idiots are pondlife talking nonsense. Ravenguest you gave a great interview and looked nice, sadly there will always be trolls hovering around this sort of subject like flies around dung.

• Like 4

I'm not sure it's going to attract the right type. I can see a wave of under bridge lurkers heading our way like a scene from lord of the rings.

I'm just curious, what is the 'right' asexual type?

I'm not sure it's going to attract the right type. I can see a wave of under bridge lurkers heading our way like a scene from lord of the rings.

I don't think they meant asexual type, I think they were talking about the audience of the newspaper not being the right type to be informaed or balanced x

What the article's comments say reveals more about the people who make them than you. Some people (especially, but not exclusively men) seem to be capable of looking a someone without the thoughts, feelings and character that goes along with it. I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't think they meant asexual type, I think they were talking about the audience of the newspaper not being the right type to be informaed or balanced x

That makes sense, thanks.

Ramen noodles? What will these trolls think of next?

Lisa, these people are nasty and karma is a b.... You should never feel bad about your bravery and coverage. Think about all the people who will read that and have a moment to realise that they aren't alone and broken! Please bear in mind that happy, positive people have absolutely no reason to go on the internet and be so vile and abusive about something or someone that doesn't affect them. You can't even imagine how people can be so heartless if you aren't that way inclined yourself. The only thing that matters is that you did a wonderful influential and encouraging thing which will bring more awareness and acceptance :) x

• Like 3

Dear ravenguest,

The Barstool Sports article is to be looked at with the right pair of glasses. For example I am wearing the "let me see into your future" pair of glasses. So let's see into the Barstool's OP's future, shall we? ;)

Here he says that EVERYTHING he does, is with the purpose to get laid. Everything. From going to work to simply going out. That is ALL eventually to have sex with girls. Good for him. TODAY. But let's see into his future, let's say when he's around 70? If his life is going on like this, I can see very well who this old man is. Can you?

I've seen him in so many bars, sitting at a table, possibly close to the door so he can smoke, surrounded by his 3 old pals, all drinking their glass(es) of wine and playing cards, just waiting for the girls from school to go there on their lunch break, hoping to look under their skirts when their cards RANDOMLY fall on the floor. His best hope will be "Let me bring my nephew here, so maybe he can 'get his rocks off' with that blondie over there and I can spy on them having sex through the doorlock or at least hear them through the thin walls of our house".

That's a pretty brilliant future, ain't it? puke.gif

Please keep in mind I'm the least anti-sexual person. But saying asexuals have a miserabe life because life is ALL ABOUT THE SEX, well, that's just sad. So, about the comments on you, can you imagine who the people posting comments are? That's right, it's the 3 pals of the old perv at the bar. You really wanna give weight to what they have to say? ;)

Lots of hugs and cake to you and the other girls for helping many asexual people finding themselves and their way to AVEN.

• Like 3
Sarcastic Bob
Typical Sun - get four nice looking girls and just shove the article out the way. That's nothing against them, that's just the way journalism works, and I get kind of annoyed that since I'm a 6 foot male geek approaching 40, that I get pushed out of the way for things I can't really control.

Hey, this is the Sun we're talking about. This must be the first time they've had a woman in there that wasn't some anorexic stripper wannabe. Small steps...

SorryNotSorry
I, too, was pretty disappointed by the comments, but visibility has to start somewhere. I mean, just look back at everything the gay community had to go through before they got to where they're at today. I still have hope for the future--general acceptance will come eventually. Right?

Yes, and the persecutors will feel persecuted at having this "indignity" forced upon them. It was the same with white racists during the civil rights era as it was with anti-gays in the wake of Stonewall.

I didn't realise that other people could use the page in this way. Honestly, right now, I feel like I don't want to ever leave the house again. I am seriously regretting it now. How can people be so heartless?

My condolences. Sometimes people are really sexist: they see a picture of a woman and all they can think to do is criticize how she looks. :(

• Like 1

Thank you all for your kind comments. I think the problem with the internet is that you can insult and offend anyone you like withough having to look them in the eye or know the consequences of it. x

• Like 2

In my experience, the people who defend the liberty of the internet most fiercely are those who have never been burned by it. Chin up, raven! :cake:

Thank you all for your kind comments. I think the problem with the internet is that you can insult and offend anyone you like withough having to look them in the eye or know the consequences of it. x

Hi Raven,

There are people on the internet who do nothing but post nasty comments about people all day. They are sad losers in many ways in their lives.

You can see from the comments how immature, stupid and thick some of them really are. I really feel sorry for them, even the ones who say they'd like to have sex with the people in the article, they probably NEVER have the opportunity to have any kind of intimacy with anyone. They are sad, lonely, immature and nasty people.

Well done for your work, and just ignore them.

• Like 1