The Sun (UK Tabloid) article is here

Lisa Smith

My asexual article is in there (though they misquoted me a bit) I'm Lisa and it's over two pages! Yay! x

My article about Asexuality is in there and I made sure they mentioned this site and how amasing it is! I'm Lisa x

Thank you. :)

Lots of Sun readers at work. It could be an interesting shift (if they can manage 2+2). :P

It's not a bad article for something like the Sun. Whether it gets through to any of the readership is another matter

That is super cool. :lol:

There's a lot of negative/lack of understanding comments, and that is somewhat disheartening to see.

It's generally a good idea to ignore the comments on such articles.

• Like 1

WOW!!!

I'm having to buy The Sun for an actual reason, rather than reading something to pass a train ride.

Nice one and thanks for mentioning how great AVEN is :cake:

Were 2 threads really that necessary? O__o

http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/81392-go-buy-the-sun-newspaper/

The Sun is a bigger deal than you might think - it's the most popular daily in Britain with a circulation of just below 2.5 million. That's a lot of publicity. :)

The article is also available online here: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/woman/4683131/asexuals-on-why-they-dont-miss-sex.html

Yeah, there is the Sun readership factor, too. :P

I wasn't too keen on the sidebar which mentions Asexuals and their condition.

Especially as it was in 'The Sun' (banned on our house since Hillsborough but I'll try to sneak a copy in).

-_-

I must have posted in a duplicate as I'm sure I posted this before. Anyway I was very unhappy with the sidebar referring to Asexuals and their condition.

Great to see a positive piece from a sexpert at the end.

P.S. Loving the purple, Lisa!

• Like 1
Carpet Monster

Won't buy the sun because of political issues but I read it online. Actually quite surprised they addressed the issue and it isn't the worst article.

I would be terrified to out myself to the whole country when I don't feel comfortable telling friends and family! How did you build up the courage? :)

• Like 1

One of my friends txt me earlier today and told me there was an article in todays sun of all places lol but it was very well done to :)

I went a bought a copy staight after work just to read it. Well done to all those who had the courage to take part in it, :)

The Sun reporter was interviewing people at the World Pride conference so this might be from here but I only recognise one of the 4 in the article.

It reads pretty well until you get to the agony aunt type's comments. She tries to be nice but implies things in doing so. You'd have thought she'd have more emotional intelligence.

I'm sorry, but this article is horrible! They got so much wrong in there! Being asexual don't have a lot to do with not wanting to sleep with others or not desiring sex! It got the whole definition wrong! Sure some asexuals might not be interested in sex, but that's not even true for all.

Wrong:

ASEXUALITY refers to a person who experiences no sexual feelings for men OR women.

Being asexual means having no sexual attraction, that's it. You can still experience sexual feelings and even want sex. Some even enjoys it!

Wrong:

“Romantic asexuals” enjoy relationships, cuddling and kissing without the sex. “Aromantics” want no intimacy with other people at all.

Not all romantic asexuals enjoys intimacy like that. And there's absolutely aromantic people that wants cuddling etc. Being aromantic means not being romantically attracted to people.

Wrong:

Most asexuals do not masturbate or explore their own sexuality at all.

Sure, some asexual people don't masturbate or even explore sexuality, but that's far from true for everyone.

And last but not least:

As the condition becomes more widely known, more men and women are admitting they lack physical feelings of sexual attraction or excitement.

Being asexual is NOT a CONDITION!

:angry::angry::angry:

• Like 3

I, too, was pretty disappointed by the comments, but visibility has to start somewhere. I mean, just look back at everything the gay community had to go through before they got to where they're at today. I still have hope for the future--general acceptance will come eventually. Right?

I posted a note about this, but it probably got missed. I'm one of the girls in the article x

At least it gets people talking and makes them aware of what it is x

I posted a more lengthy answer in the thread in announcements, but long story short, that article was so wrong on so many levels :angry:

The usual idiots at the bottom giving stupid comments...

You're very brave ravenguest to put yourself out in the open like that. I could never... but it is important to put things like this out for people to see even if it only gains negative comments at first. In time, hopefully, people will start seeing asexuality as a commonplace thing, and will be less scathing about it, due to articles like these.

I agree with you GirlDreamer, and just the fact that the article is written will bring it to the attention of the public. The nitpicking details can be sorted out later, when people are more accepting of the fact that asexuality exists.

Urgh, just read some of the comments. Delightful bunch of people.

Unfortunately I guessed that it wouldn't be entirely acurate as I was only asked about 4 questions, and I don't live in London, so even the basics are wrong. Honestly I did this for several reasons; I think it needs to be 'out there', I did the More! Interview and they were very kind and positive about it, I needed the money.

I don't actually have any friends so it wasn't a problem if anyone saw it. I don;t think they'd recognise me anyway as I don't really wear make-up dresses etc.

The photoshoot staff were wonderful, but the interview was done over the phone which was a bit weird, especially as she didn't seem to really be listening to me. It starts debates and people might be inclined to look into it further themselves. It's The Sun, I can't honestly say I expected it to be perfect, but it wasn't as distorted and messed up as I worried it might be.

Just want to say, Ravenguest, it was very brave of you and the others to do this interview and it's nothing against you guys. There's nothing wrong about what you guys said or how you feel. It's the other stuff and the facts they got so horribly wrong I'm against.

I'm all for visibility and all, but I don't think it helps our case when they portrait all the facts so wrongly.

• Like 1