Extravert, Introvert, or Ambivert?

Holland

1. 1. Are you an Extravert, Introvert or Ambivert?

• Extreme Extravert
    • Extravert
    • Slight Extravert
    • Ambivert
    • Slight Introvert
    • Introvert
    • Extreme Introvert
  2. 2. Extravert, Introvert or Ambivert?

• Extravert
    • Ambivert
    • Introvert

This poll is closed to new votes

Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Introvert.

Though one curiousity I've noticed is that despite not liking to be in crowds for extended periods and not gaining energy from being with large groups, etc., I have found a fondness for large lecture-hall classes for some reason. Which is really a bit of an oddity.

Introvert.

Though one curiousity I've noticed is that despite not liking to be in crowds for extended periods and not gaining energy from being with large groups, etc., I have found a fondness for large lecture-hall classes for some reason. Which is really a bit of an oddity.

Might that be because you can blend in with the class and you're all focused on the same thing? I have the same reaction - smaller classes make me uncomfortable and anxious, a place where you're more likely to get called on to answer questions and required to participate more, while lecture size classes are more about listening and are too large for much participation.

As an introvert, crowds are not my thing either, though I enjoy going to science fictions conventions. I just have to find a quiet spot to decompress for a while.

sanremi52890

I was considering how very in the minority I am and wondered if Introversion is a minority among people who identify as Asexual.

Do you mean to say that you're very much in the minority as an introvert...? Or becasue you're asexual? Because if you meant as an introvert, that's just not true... Some psychologists believe that around 20-30% of the population is introverted, others believe it's as high as 50%. If you think the vast majority of people are extroverts, that may be because you live in a Western country that highly values extraversion and therefore many introverts have learned to act like extraverts even if they're not.

I actually had to look up the term Ambivert. It's a new one to me, but pretty much what I am. I've always considered myself "the most talkative introvert" and "possibly the only introvert in the world who regularly craves company". I am definitely not an extrovert. I'm incredibly wary of the vast majority of other people, and I hate crowds and large social gatherings and talking to people exhausts me. Yet I go stir crazy without company, and I am incredibly talkative so I suppose Ambivert fits quite well.

Extreme introvert. I don't really like leaving the house all that much, especially when it's to see other people.

I'm between slight introvert and ambivert.

It's so interesting how many people have voted introvert in the poll, considering that there are more extroverts around than introverts. Maybe introverts just hang around forums more than extroverts do? :P

Kitty Spoon Train

It's so interesting how many people have voted introvert in the poll, considering that there are more extroverts around than introverts. Maybe introverts just hang around forums more than extroverts do? :P

Yeah, that's essentially it. Most forums I've been a member of have a lot more introverts than extroverts. It's even true on the MBTI forum I used to post on. Pretty sure about 3/4 of the members there were introverts.

Taking a personality type sample on Internet forums is like taking a problem drinker sample down at the local boozer. Epic selection bias for introversion. :D

lapislazuli

I'm definitely an extrovert! Love being around people, love talking, enjoy the attentions!

I get upset if everyone ignores me or talk about topics I can't join in.

I was considering how very in the minority I am and wondered if Introversion is a minority among people who identify as Asexual.

Do you mean to say that you're very much in the minority as an introvert...? Or becasue you're asexual? Because if you meant as an introvert, that's just not true... Some psychologists believe that around 20-30% of the population is introverted, others believe it's as high as 50%. If you think the vast majority of people are extroverts, that may be because you live in a Western country that highly values extraversion and therefore many introverts have learned to act like extraverts even if they're not.

I'm very much in the minority for many reasons that I never touched on. Being asexual and an extreme introvert, though, are important parts of my identity that lend to my perception of being in the minority. As I do believe - as I've heard very frequently - that introverts make up a mere 25% percent of the population, I consider introverts a minority.

I do think that the majority of people are extraverts. I've met a fair few introverts; I know that a quarter of the population is not insignificant. (I was mostly mentioning that I was very in the minority in passing, not to refer directly to introversion.) I don't equate shyness to introversion in the least (I'm personally very talkative, so I don't jump to the conclusion that being sociable is indicative of extraversion); my judgement of introversion in others is not rash.

Postscript: I'd hesitate to group Canada in with other countries.

• 1 month later...
A Taste of Harmony

Ambivert

I just can't choose one side..

Sometimes I can't even open my mouth to say "Hi"

but sometimes it's the complete opposite.

I think it's just depends on the people I need to interact, I'm very neutral at most of the things.

I usually try to accommodate what others want.

Definitely an introvert. I'm still capable of being social, but only if I can have it at my own pace. Otherwise, I start feeling pressured.

One of the things that made me the happiest recently was starting to study for my summer exams at home instead of going to class (yeah, doing that is possible over here). At first I felt a bit disoriented, but I developed some sort of cocoon phase later and now I don't want to go out much anymore... ugh. :wacko:

Flowers and Ghosts

I was torn between Introvert and Extra Introverted but I chose just plain Introverted because while I avoid social situations at most costs, I wouldn't say I go to extreme measures to avoid them. I used to be afraid of talking on the phone and such with strangers (like pizza delivery people) but I'm pretty good with that now. I have like 2 really close friends and maybe 1 or 2 acquaintances. I've been trying to be less antisocial online, though. Need to work on that. :D

WhenSummersGone

I would call myself an introvert. I prefer to be alone a lot and just doing my own thing. I also have social anxiety, but I've been in social situations having a good time and I just wanted to go home.

My introversion is actually quite interesting; I'm extreme introvert when it comes to people who matter, but for people who mean nothing to me I'm extroverted. That's why I'm a good public speaker but a terrible conversationalist and peoples person.

Grumpy Alien

I call myself an outgoing introvert. I'm not shy per se, but I'm the opposite of a social butterfly and I can definitely put on an act. I've been called a people person, for example, even though I'm really not.

silverfirefox777

Highly introverted normally, when I'm being myself. Although I can act extroverted or can actually be quite extroverted when with friends. Its all situational I suppose. :)

Glitter Spock

I think introverts seem overrepresented in this poll because introverts are much more likely to join and be active on online forums.

Introvert.

I thought I was extremely introverted. Apparently I'm only 75% introverted.

• 2 weeks later...

Extreme introvert with probably a bit of social anxiety, though never diagnosed. Keep people away from me, don't talk to me unless I know you. Then I am happy. :)

poindexter

I consider myself to be an introvert... I guess. When I take personality tests it tells me I'm 100% introvert, but I don't think I am (I always take those results with a pinch of salt, anyway). I enjoy hanging out with my friends a lot. I find them pretty inspiring to be around, and I think it's one of the best ways to really feel "alive".

When in large groups, I think my "introvertness" comes from a sense of disgust at the way other people act, especially in the night-time, and I end up feeling pretty excluded, which would be "draining" for anyone. Is this a result of my introversion? If I was less introverted, would I be able to look past the feelings I have when surrounded by lots of happy drunk people who don't understand the meaning of "personal space"? There's something rather lonely about being in a large group of people that you don't get when in more intimate settings. I don't feel all that "energised" when I just sit at home on my own, but I don't really feel particularly "energised" by being around other people either... perhaps it depends on my mood. Maybe I am an "ambivert"...

I despise small talk, and saying "hello" and "goodbye", especially to people you rarely see, like relatives and old friends from school. I often wish people could go straight from seeing each other to having a conversation without all the "what have you been up to?!" business beforehand, just because it's inevitably awkward.

I think most people who regularly frequent internet forums are introverted, which is probably why the results seem skewed from real life tests.

Extreme introvert. I have no friends at all outside of my family and one acquaintance online that I check up on once a week or so. My social needs are met entirely by a sibling that I currently live with and love dearly, and a few other, very close family members. This relative isolation does not bother me at all.

I privately love everyone and wish strangers well as I see them on the street, but I would generally prefer to avoid having to talk with them in most situations or be around them constantly. My desire to love is therefore fulfilled, and I know from experience that I am loved enough by my aforementioned family for that need to be met as well.

I prefer mostly to keep to myself even online. It took some time to work up the nerve to register here, and I worry all the time that I'm just bothering people or that what I'm talking about (too often myself; apologies, I swear I'm not like that to my sibling or IRL in general, but most of the threads I feel I can answer ask about it in some fashion) is so boring that no one reads it anyway. I suppose that falls more under social anxiety than simple introversion.

Introvert. I do not make friends easily or leave the house for much more than the essentials, though I have started venturing out a bit more often of late. Quiet and constantly daydreaming, I don't do very well in crowds or loud places, especially if I am expected to 'mingle'.

I do like to have friends, but only if they understand that I am likely to retreat into my own personal space at times. It is nothing that they ought to take personally, it is just how I feel most rejuvenated and secure.

• 2 weeks later...

Mostly introvert. I love being alone in my room but sometimes I wish I could be doing stuff with my friends. But if I'm with them for like the entire day until really late I get grouchy and want to go home. I hate that.

Introvert to the XTREEEEEEM

HighViolet

Introvert, leaning to the extreme side.

I talk only to my family and partner and have one person I can consider a friend but hardly ever I tell her my personal stuff or meet each other even if we live one mile from each other.

I enjoy doing what people usually do in company, just I like doing it on my own - stuff like going in town, have a drink/coffee, travel etc.

Don't enjoy being around too many people, like at parties, social gatherings, and don't like loud places. If I need to go out I rather be one on one or a very small group of people I've been knowing for ages.

If it happens that I'm introduced to someone new I tend to say hi and then go into ghost-mode in regard to them.

I totally don't like to talk but I'm happy to listen, I spend most of my time thinking, it's what I enjoy to do

I consider myself an extreme introvert although I do not know if my view of myself aligns with the exact definition of an extreme introvert. I just tend to enjoy being alone and collecting my thoughts and thinking about things that capture my interest.

Oh, I'm an extreme introvert... only to the heart's desire :)

Archived