What video games are you playing?

Deschutes

Does anyone have any good recommendations for games (for Windows pc) that let you explore, without a lot of combat or fighting monsters and baddies and without lots of maintenance or farming and building? I like exploring, wandering around, experiencing a world and mapping it out, seeing the sights, and maybe just hanging out somewhere peaceful for a while. Some goals and/or quests would be good, too, so there are ways to have some direction. One of my favorite games has always been Sid Meier's Civ games - I often like to set it to no war and just build up a civilization while I explore the world, but I'm thinking something at a more individual level could be fun. 

• Like 2

I've started playing a few games again recently: Ori and the Blind Forest, Stardew Valley, FFXIV, and a tiny bit of WoW.

22 minutes ago, daveb said:

Does anyone have any good recommendations for games (for Windows pc) that let you explore, without a lot of combat or fighting monsters and baddies and without lots of maintenance or farming and building? I like exploring, wandering around, experiencing a world and mapping it out, seeing the sights, and maybe just hanging out somewhere peaceful for a while. Some goals and/or quests would be good, too, so there are ways to have some direction. One of my favorite games has always been Sid Meier's Civ games - I often like to set it to no war and just build up a civilization while I explore the world, but I'm thinking something at a more individual level could be fun. 

The first game that came to mind was Journey... but that's not on the PC (yet! It apparently is coming out on Steam on June 11th). Abzu also comes to mind, and it is on the PC. Underwater exploration with gorgeous music. I haven't played it myself, however.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Jinkx said:

I've started playing a few games again recently: Ori and the Blind Forest, Stardew Valley, FFXIV, and a tiny bit of WoW.

I recently saw a couple of the Ori games on steam, and the screenshots look interesting. Might have to take a look at them once my comp is built.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Jinkx said:

The first game that came to mind was Journey... but that's not on the PC (yet! It apparently is coming out on Steam on June 11th). Abzu also comes to mind, and it is on the PC. Underwater exploration with gorgeous music. I haven't played it myself, however.

Thanks!

I'd prefer one with forests and greenery though. I'm one of those people who really enjoys the parts of LOTR books where it's mostly about the hobbits (or others) wandering through the woods and wildlands and descriptions of the landscape/countryside. :) (the stuff that many other people find boring) :P 

• Like 1
communityabed

I hope no one laughs, but I am playing Spider Solitaire, Super Mario Bros, Arkanoid, Feeding Frenzy and Midtown Madness. As you can see I am not much a gamer.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Una Salus Victus said:

I recently saw a couple of the Ori games on steam, and the screenshots look interesting. Might have to take a look at them once my comp is built.

It's an absolutely beautiful game! I highly recommend it. Storytelling, gameplay, soundtrack are all fantastic. 😍👌

18 hours ago, daveb said:

I'm having difficulty of thinking of something that would tick every box here. A few you could look at if you haven't heard of them:

Abzu

The Witness

Lost Ember

What became of Edith Finch?

Shelter/Shelter 2

Sunless Skies

I steered away from stuff like The Forest, Subnautica, No Man's Sky since these do have crafting/survival/combat elements. NMS is still fairly chill though.

• Like 1

I went back to mainly playing KOTOR in the free time I have. I plan on going back to Chimera Squad, though, eventually.

5 hours ago, Catserole said:

I'm having difficulty of thinking of something that would tick every box here. A few you could look at if you haven't heard of them:

Abzu

The Witness

Lost Ember

What became of Edith Finch?

Shelter/Shelter 2

Sunless Skies

I steered away from stuff like The Forest, Subnautica, No Man's Sky since these do have crafting/survival/combat elements. NMS is still fairly chill though.

Thanks! I'm compiling a list of games to check out. I've had some recommended that are described as grand strategy, which is not really what I'm looking for. I tried a game called Don't Starve, but it isn't turn-based (not as much of a deal-killer), very dark (definitely a deal-killer) in spite of the cartoon-like drawing style, and too much crafting/survival stuff for my tastes. I guess I'm looking for more whimsy and fun, not so much struggle and work. :) 

After finishing Horizon Zero Dawn (+ The Frozen Wilds) I replayed Super Mario Bros. 2 and just bought Mega Man 11 on Steam!

I've been on a bit of a Sega kick lately. Watching a LOT of Youtube vids about the Saturn, Phantasy Star, Eternal Champions, Comix Zone, etc. I'm sure business reasons have kept another LUNAR port out of the picture, but can ANYONE tell me why Shining Force III never got released in the west? I keep hearing that it was the high point of the series which is wild because 1 & 2 were SO good!

ALSO: Where the fuck is my Dreamcast Mini???

I'm going back to Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire. I just have the itch for pure RPG.

• Like 1
bluedragonwings

Animal Crossing New Horizons and AfterParty

Soo I recenttly got a Playstation 4 like FUCKING FINALLY because the latest renditions of 2 of my favorite series of all time were released there (aka Persona & FF ...) and I passed on it but when FF7R was released I couldn't not buy. And it was the biggest fucking finally purchase of mine in ages lol. 

Got Persona Dancing bundle which was super cheap and enjoyed it, also began FF7R which is "awe-inducing" if I had to describe shortly, got too excited playing Project Diva (sometimes I forget how I LOVE Vocaloid games ...) also bought a few JRPGS sold by a couple dollars on the Anime Sale, hooray - including Vesperia and Shining Force ... Finally lol - and didn't even have time to begin P5 or FFXV ... 

... Because I went back to work and now I am quarantined away from home. Hahah. Ha. 

Before getting my PS I also got nostalgically addicted during quarantine to Ragnarok Online which was ... A great part of my formative years. It was great, really good for like not thinking about anything, just enjoying the aesthetic and a matured community? But. My laptop doesn't run that either. 

Now I am playing, uh, nothing so I am back to trying to work on my own games... and... Drawing a blank. Siiigh 

On 5/13/2020 at 1:30 PM, MojoSolid said:

After finishing Horizon Zero Dawn (+ The Frozen Wilds) I replayed Super Mario Bros. 2 and just bought Mega Man 11 on Steam!

I've been on a bit of a Sega kick lately. Watching a LOT of Youtube vids about the Saturn, Phantasy Star, Eternal Champions, Comix Zone, etc. I'm sure business reasons have kept another LUNAR port out of the picture, but can ANYONE tell me why Shining Force III never got released in the west? I keep hearing that it was the high point of the series which is wild because 1 & 2 were SO good!

ALSO: Where the fuck is my Dreamcast Mini???

Seconded on the DCMini 😖 Really would've liked that. 

Waaaaaaay back in the days I was BIG into Sega, I loved Sega far too much when they were still around, heck Sonic was my first fandom experience in every sense p much. And being in forums etc there were people who actually owned DC/Saturn and that was like, whoa, me wants. Guess growing up as a huge weeaboo I realized some of the coolest experimental-ish games were released for these consoles and never even got localized. It was so sad getting to emulate it years later and realizing how much I would've liked it. 

Been thinking about getting a Saturn for ages now (even got Princess Maker for it already lol,) just lacking the courage maybe. If there was a console that could play Saturn and DC games somehow ......... *sigh* sign me tf in. 

BlakeTheNightowl~

I need help beating this mutated Kenny bastard to fight him off in obscure 🤣🤣

I bought Renowned Explorers the other day and I'm enjoying it. It's a turn-based game, where you play as Victorian era explorer and a couple of crew, but it's not very historical. You get a wide variety of characters to choose from of various races, genders, nationalities. You explore various fairly generic locations and have encounters, and try to gain renown. Looks like it has an end-point where you find out if you won or not. But seems like there should be a good amount of replayability, at least by choosing different characters (not sure if the locations stay the same).

Because GTA5 was free on Epic Store I am playing that again.

On 5/13/2020 at 6:30 PM, MojoSolid said:

Congrats to finishing Horizon Zero Dawn. I've spent the first four weeks of quarantine finally finishing it and would have loved to try out Super Mario Bros 2. 
Now I've sadly went back to LoL which has a great impact on the amount of time spent productively. 
Anybody else playing LoL and up for a just-for-fun match can send me a message. 

Interference

been playing terraria for a while. it's quite fun.

• Like 1

I'm trying to clear some of my (disc) PS3 games. The cupboard I keep my games in is getting kinda full, so I want to make some space in there and also get some trophies.

So I'm playing Lego Pirates of the Caribbean - it's a very fun game. POTC is awesome and I think this is one of the best Lego games - it's not as bloated with challenges and stuff as some of the more recent releases and everything just works really well.

Not playing, but I'm watching a playtrough of Final Fantasy 7 Remake. Haven't played the original, but I'm loving it!

Lego Pirates is all finished (what a game!), so now I'm playing through Back To The Future.

I'm just about to start episode 3 (of 5) and it's been great so far. The writing and dialogue really fits the spirit of the original movies, so it feels like a genuine sequel rather than a crummy spinoff.

Started playing Dark Souls 3 in jolly cooperation with my brother. My trusty build of no armour + the biggest possible sword served me well to get all achievements on DS1 and 2, let's see if it still holds...

Valentine Loren

Minecraft and Minecraft Story Mode

The first in The Witcher series, because nostalgia is hitting big right now.

Been playing Civilization 6 a lot recently, but planning on moving on to Dishonored 2, since I never got far in it.

Twisted Tempest

Doom Eternal and Fallout 76 are my jams at the moment. With a little Devil May Cry and Animal Crossing thrown in for funsies. I took a break from Doom, and was super rusty, but now I think I'm even better than I was before, because I'm having way more fun now. :D

ChickenMayo

usually i play fps, horror, or racing game, ex: fallout, bioshock infinite, far cry, nfs, juiced, silent hill, resident evil, etc. Especially, i love it when fps and racing game always gives me a thrill of adrenaline in game

Art of Matt Eldritch

I've been pretty much only playing games on Steam nowadays. Finished up Saint's Row 2 and I'm gonna start Life is Strange soon.