Chinese Topic

Nolan Kryptonite

Notte stellata

Can anyone translate the name Hua Hsu (the U has an umlaut over it) into an English approximation?

I can repost the original story if you need some context to work with...

Do you want an English approximation based on the sound or the meaning? Either way, I think it's quite difficult...

Can anyone translate the name Hua Hsu (the U has an umlaut over it) into an English approximation?

Hua Hsü

There are too many Chinese characters that have this sound. Impossible to make a literal translation.

SorryNotSorry

There must be some translations which are at least in the ballpark?

There must be some translations which are at least in the ballpark?

Sorry, no. It'll only work if you used the actual Chinese characters.

Let's put it this way: there are 4 intonations in Mandarin. A single word, like "ma" has 4 potential pronunciations. Depending on how you pronounce "Ma ma", it can mean "mom" or it can mean "tiger".

If you want a Chinese translation, you're much better off getting the chinese characters than the... uh, pin-yin.

Notte stellata

Not to mention there can be a bunch of characters with exactly the same sound and intonation...

But I don't know "Ma ma" can mean "tiger"...Maybe that's from some dialect outside Mainland China.

I saw your other post in the Off-A forum. 華胥

華:Chinese 胥:an official

So 華胥=A Chinese official. That's the best I can do.

Does anyone else think the Chinese translation of "asexual" can be better? 無性戀 refers to both asexual and aromantic. The current translation for ___romantic is ___浪漫, but it's actually used to refer to romance, not romantic attraction.

So I propose a new translation (which may not enter textbooks):
___sexual: ___性吸引
___romantic: ___戀愛

For instance, a heteroromantic asexual will be 異性戀愛,無性性吸引

Notte stellata

Does anyone else think the Chinese translation of "asexual" can be better? 無性戀 refers to both asexual and aromantic. The current translation for ___romantic is ___浪漫, but it's actually used to refer to romance, not romantic attraction.

So I propose a new translation (which may not enter textbooks):

___sexual: ___性吸引

___romantic: ___戀愛

For instance, a heteroromantic asexual will be 異性戀愛,無性性吸引

Yeah, I've been feeling this way for a long time. I think 戀 is mainly about the emotional component in romantic love, so all the sexual orientation words in Chinese (__性戀) are actually more similar to romantic orientation words in English. And ___浪漫 just sounds so awkward. I once translated "heteroromantic" into ”异性恋爱倾向“, but still used "无性恋” for "asexual", to be consistent with other sexuality words.

Speaking of which, this month's Carnival of Aces is about language and communication, and I just read this post about asexuality in Chinese. Maybe you can write a post and submit too! :)

Thanks! I'll give it a shot, and maybe even start my own blog just for that.

• 2 months later...
Notte stellata

The Chinese AVEN never displays properly for me, except for some of the characters. All the forum names are messed up symbols.

And I've only ever got "not found" messages if I try and click to another part of the forum--even clicking on links that aren't just diamonds, squares, and random letters. I've tried in Canada and the PRC, it definitely doesn't work for me at all.

• 1 month later...
lapislazuli

Wow never know there's a Chinese version, but all I'm getting are funny symbols too...

And I'm using a Chinese based window so not sure what's going on there... :blink:

The site is probably dead. They probably should delete it or improve it.

你們好!我是一個美國人,可是這年我住在台灣,下月我要回國。

因為我去年就開始學國語,我的國語不太好。

因為我去年就開始學國語,我的國語不太好。

歡迎!我就住在桃園縣。很高興有另一個人也在台灣。但我下個月也是要出國。

因為我去年就開始學國語,我的國語不太好。

歡迎!我就住在桃園縣。很高興有另一個人也在台灣。但我下個月也是要出國。

謝謝!

我也住在桃園!真好的縣。

你要去哪國家?

Archived