Neanderthals walk among us!

sonofzeal

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you have an occipital bun?

• Homg yes! Neanderthals represent! *__*
    • Er.... maybe a small one, it's hard to tell. o_O
    • Nope, definitely not. Cro-Magnon pride! \o/
    • This confuses and frightens me, I'm not participating. @__@

I've just spent the last ten minutes poking the back of my head.

If you want my, entirely uneducated, opinion on the Neanderthals, I reckon we murdered, enslaved and/or ran them out of their territory. It does rather seem to be our modus operandi.

And while enslaving them, we bred with them, probably against their wishes, as in the US South.

The native americans too. In Latin America most of the population are a mixture of indigenous and european.

All Native Americans, really, had - and continue to have - a pretty rough time of it, to put it mildly.

Happy Columbus Day everyone!

*sings*

In fourteen hundred and ninety two

Columbus came 'cross ocean blue

Met the Arawaks and had these thoughts two: "We could steal all their gold and enslave the shit out of these people".

And that's what he did do.

On Columbus Day, there was a protest march in Seattle. Our city is named for Chief Sealth and we have a statue of him downtown, but this city treated Native Americans just as bad as any other city.

I've just spent the last ten minutes poking the back of my head.

If you want my, entirely uneducated, opinion on the Neanderthals, I reckon we murdered, enslaved and/or ran them out of their territory. It does rather seem to be our modus operandi.

And while enslaving them, we bred with them, probably against their wishes, as in the US South.

Let's keep in mind that the Neanderthal extinction took a looonnnngggg period of time (like several thousand years). Given this, and that Neanderthals were physically tougher than Cro Magnons, it's unlikely that the Cro Magnons were the ones doing any conquest.

Let's keep in mind that the Neanderthal extinction took a looonnnngggg period of time (like several thousand years). Given this, and that Neanderthals were physically tougher than Cro Magnons, it's unlikely that the Cro Magnons were the ones doing any conquest.

I heard there was good evidence of violence, marks of Cro Magnon weapons on Neanderthal bones or somesuch, but all my information is admittedly tertiary. The book I got this from only touched on it fairly briefly, but attributed a mixture of violence and warming climate, and I never tracked down the sources they cited... and unfortunately am now on an entirely different continent from that book, if I could even remember the title at all.

So... uh.... how 'bout that local sports team? :blink:

I heard there was good evidence of violence, marks of Cro Magnon weapons on Neanderthal bones or somesuch, but all my information is admittedly tertiary. The book I got this from only touched on it fairly briefly, but attributed a mixture of violence and warming climate, and I never tracked down the sources they cited... and unfortunately am now on an entirely different continent from that book, if I could even remember the title at all.

So... uh.... how 'bout that local sports team? :blink:

Oh, there was most probably violence; I'm just saying it wouldn't have been anything near as decisive as Europeans invading the Americas. I think that is an erroneous comparison to make.

Hey, this means I can call someone a 'Neanderthal' and get away with insulting them :lol:

*Yes, I have a lump/bump - I thought it was unique. Anyone else get a headache if too much pressure is put on it?*

I knew there was something funny with some of the people I know locally where I live. They drag their women by the hair, they grunt, they don't take baths, they hate the federal government, and eat mammoth burgers for lunch. Yeah, there are a few cavemen still roaming around out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh wow! That's pretty cool. I think I have a bump, at least it feels that way. Me a neanderthal? I could see it... :lol:

I would like to read that book if you can remember the title, as I am interested in the subject.

Neanderthal's had advantages of larger brains and more brawn. Homo sapiens (Cro-magnons) required less food to survive, and were better able to enunciate, and thus possibly had a more advanced language.

But can we really say that they are extinct, since Eurasians are Homo sapien/Homo neanderthalensis hybrids?

But can we really say that they are extinct, since Eurasians are Homo sapien/Homo neanderthalensis hybrids?

I think the only modern human group which has been found to have no Neanderthal DNA is black Africans.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to read that book if you can remember the title, as I am interested in the subject.

Neanderthal's had advantages of larger brains and more brawn. Homo sapiens (Cro-magnons) required less food to survive, and were better able to enunciate, and thus possibly had a more advanced language.

Doing some backtracking on another forum I was on at the time......

The author was definitely Ronald Wright. I think that means the book was "A Short History of Progress". It wasn't all that long ago, but it was a chaotic time for me and my memories are fuzzy. I'll put a 85% chance on that being the book though.

I totally have that bump, live in Europe and enjoy the cold - can't stand hot.

oh well :lol:

The author was definitely Ronald Wright. I think that means the book was "A Short History of Progress". It wasn't all that long ago, but it was a chaotic time for me and my memories are fuzzy. I'll put a 85% chance on that being the book though.

Cool. Thanks! :)

Wiki sez:

In the third chapter, "Fools' Paradise", the rise and fall of two civilisations are examined: Easter Island and Sumer. Both flourished, but collapsed as a result of resource depletion; both were able to visually see their land being eroded but were unwilling to reform....

In the fourth chapter, "Pyramid Schemes", the fates of the Roman and Mayan civilisations are compared; both peaked with centralised empires but ended with power being diffused to their periphery as the center collapsed and ultra-conservative leader refused reformations.

That might be the USA one day. :ph34r:

Perhaps the Neanderthal had been there, done that.

Archived