Drake Magazine

Shivers

Another article.... click over to http://orgs.l3.drake.edu/drake-mag/img/sta...eMag_screen.pdf and scroll down to page 19....

Or you could read it here.... Y'better appreciate the fact that I typed this all out for you guys!! (-:þ

"I dont want your sex"

Norman Baker doesn't want to have sex with women, but he doesn't want to have sex with men either. In fact, Baker doesn't want to have sex at all. He's one of the estimated one percent of adults who define themselves as an asexual - someone who has no interest in sexual contact with another person.

"Through puberty, I always classified myself as having a low sex drive, and I thought my lack of sexual desire was just that I hadn't met the right person yet," says Baker, a 21 year old from Ontario, Canada. "I heard of asexuality for the first time in December 2004, and I realised that the description fits me perfectly."

According to an October 2004 study by psychologist and human sexuality expert Anthony Bogaert of Brock University in Ontario, Canada, one in 100 adults has no interest in sex. David Jay, founder of the Asexuality Visibility and Education Network, says the online community at asexuality.org has grown to almost 3,000 members since he founded the site in 2001. "We're talking about a side of sexuality that everyone knows exists, but hasn't been examined," Jay says. "[Asexuality] is very similar to something like being straight, or bi, or gay in that it's not a choice that we have made. It's just the way we are.

Support groups like AVEN connect fellow asexuals and offer information on the often-misunderstood topic. Asexuality is difficult to grasp because there aren't standards to classify these non-libidoists. According to AVEN, a person is an asexual if he or she says so. But this assertion brings many different responses, including 'Maybe they're homosexual and just don't know it' and, as Baker asserts 'Maybe he just hasn't found the right person yet'. Jay says these reactions illustrate just how misunderstood asexuality is.

"It always amazes me how people focus on the moment at which I could be sexual," he says. "Potentially, I could wake up one day and find myself interested in sexuality, but right now, I'm not interested in sex and I'm living a completely fulfilled life."

This isn't to say that asexuals live completely relationship-free or even sex-free lives. Some asexuals have a sex drive, but don't engage in actual intercourse. Instead, they might masturbate. Others enjoy long-term relationships and have sexual preferences, but act on the attraction non-sexually.

"Being an asexual is simply having no desire to have sex - which isn't to say that asexuals aren't capable of love," Baker says. "It varies from person to person, but in my situation, everything else that people desire in a relationship, I desire - just not sex."

Jay and other activists raise awareness for A-love and A-pride through match-up and support sites like asexualove.net and AVEN's asexuality.org where you can purchase T-shirts that say "Asexuality: It's not just for amoebas anymore."

Norman says he recieves a lot of blank stares when he reveals his asexuality, but is pleased that it's finally recieving exposure. "It's becoming news because today's society is so sex-obcessed that hearing about someone not having sex is a novelty," he says.

I'm not sure I like this bit....

"According to AVEN, a person is an asexual if he or she says so. But this assertion brings many different responses, including 'Maybe they're homosexual and just don't know it' and, as Baker asserts 'Maybe he just hasn't found the right person yet'. Jay says these reactions illustrate just how misunderstood asexuality is."

I never said that I was asexual just because I hadn't met the right person! I think it might just be bad wording, cuz I said that that was what I used to think before I heard of asexuality, but still.....

I still like the article though....

Theres just no stopping spock; soon the whole world will know about us...

Archived