Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ithaca

Ask admods a question (that might not deserve its own thread)

ithaca

Hello,

I had this idea of a thread for all members to ask questions to moderators and admins, especially for members that are not sure their question deserves a thread on its own.

Please keep in mind that disciplinary actions towards other members and other discussions might still be classified and asking could receive a "Sorry, but.." kind of reply.

Other questions might be replied both in private and public, if the Admods see it necessary to discuss it further but more privately, or split if seen it necessary.

Some threads might be merged with this one, if they can get an easy and quick answer like "Why isn't my profile picture showing up yet?" to make an example.

So, yeah, do you have any questions that might not deserve their own threads?

cleuchtturm

When I'm looking at a thread, what does the Start New Topic button do? Does it start a new topic in the forum that thread is in or does it start a new topic based off the thread I'm looking at?

ithaca

The former :) It opens the page to start a thread in the forum you're in.

cleuchtturm

Ok, thanks.

I like this thread.

ithaca

No problem :)

And yay ^_^

Cake to the first question :cake:

cleuchtturm

*noms :cake: and waits for more questions*

Are all admods actually going to answer this if I ask questions to the whole team, or is it just going to be the usual suspects?

ithaca

What do you mean? If anyone asks a question, who's around may answer, not like all of the admods will answer each question. If it can be useful to your question, it might easily happen that we discuss how to answer in Admods Only and/or over skype. This has been something I have posted after asking Tea, Site Comment's mod, it's not my intention to put responsibilities on other admods. If anyone wants to ask a question, they can, if anyone wants to answer, they can. **shrugs** Is it important?

Well if people wanted to ask questions to get to know admods who aren't involved in the community as much would those admods answer? I just want to know so I don't ask pointless questions.

ithaca

I guess members can try asking question like " @ X-Mod ", but I can see that degenerating easily into passive-aggressiveness or snarky remarks, even though most members would have good intentions. If members want to know (personally, I guess?) some mods, why don't they PM them? :) But, yeah, if done respectfully I guess questions can be asked aimed at a specific admod.

I suppose I'll throw out some easy ones just to see how many responses it will get.

1. What, in your opinion, is the best part of AVEN?

2. If you could magically change anything about AVEN what would it be?

Okay maybe one less easy one.

3. If you ran for re-election right now do you think you'd win? Why or why not?

. . .but there are sounds

I suppose I'll throw out some easy ones just to see how many responses it will get.

The best part of AVEN, and really the reason I do this, is the sigh of relief a new member gets when they realize, "I am not alone; I am not broken; it is ok to be who I am."

Hell if I know how this could ever happen, numerous suggestions have been made but they all fall flat either in implementation or with some serious other hole, but, since we are invoking magic, some sort of spell that would make people vote exclusively on the merits of a decision entirely ignoring their own personal biases would be pretty sweet. (this is with regards to stuff in Admods Only, general forum polls, and most specifically elections (I really really wish we could make it not a popularity contest)).

If I was running to become admin from with admods again, I have no doubt what so ever I would win. I get comments somewhat uncomfortably often that I am "the best admin" from the admod team. That said, almost everything I do these days is internal, pulling logs, checking IPs, trouble shooting things for mods, so the general membership doesn't get to see me do much other than send warnings for chat. I think it would be close if I were to run for a mod position. There are days I kind of miss modding Rels, seriously, that place is great.

5_♦♣

What's the best part of your job? What is the worst part of your job?

Kisa needs a latte

I love the members. I'm not kidding, the members of this site are so dedicated to this community. Maybe member X isn't as active in Site Comments as Y, but Y will probably answering "Am I asexual" questions by linking to the wiki. It's really nice.

Increased transparency.

I actually think I would. I work really hard to getting to know the membership and listening to them. And I work hard to not be mysterious and scary XD

I love helping the team make decisions. Brainstorming is fun ^_^

The worst part is reports -_-

qqaazzaa

1. the sense of community that can be felt all over many of the forums

2. I would find a way to magically change us to be more transparent without being too transparent.

3. *points to the current JFF election*

I love feeling like I'm making a difference.

I don't like reports either

5_♦♣

Uh, I just looked and Cy is starting to gain on you.

And that brings me to another question: If you don't like reports, why are we encouraged to make them?

qqaazzaa

I know 5, I'm just saying that whatever happens is my answer to that question.

Well I don't like them because I don't like punishing people, however punishing people can help correct their behavior which makes this site a better place and reports allow that. which is why I encourage people to use the report feature.

Edited to fix some wording so that it doesn't sound like I just want to punish people

Reports should be about correcting people, not punishing them.

Kisa needs a latte

And that brings me to another question: If you don't like reports, why are we encouraged to make them?

I disagree with qqaazza's assessment actually. To me, it's more along the lines of "if you have a problem with a user, don't start a giant clusterfest of blaaaaaaaah because that will eventually leave us with more work than if you just reported something.

5_♦♣

"don't start a giant clusterfest of blaaaaaaaah because that will eventually leave us with more work than if you just reported something".

How so?

qqaazzaa

Reports should be about correcting people, not punishing them.

You're right, I worded that badly, in fact in a moment I'm going to edit it so that it sounds better.

. . .but there are sounds

What's the best part of your job?

I love working with the people. We have a great team with admods and the very vast majority of members are quite fun to talk with.

What is the worst part of your job?

The absolute worst is when people who I don't really know, who I have maybe only had one or two interactions with over the entire time they have been on the site, assume I have something against them when they come up in a report and subsequently I have to send them a warning. A disturbing amount of the time people seem to think things are personal when honestly I don't even know who they are beyond the report they came up in and it makes me really sad to see them getting angry at our supposed abuse of power or cruelty to "get them." I have been on here long enough that I am sort of inured against it, but I have seen how it really hurts some of the other admods and that bugs me a lot.

The Great WTF

Definitely the friends I've made here. AVEN is the first forum that I haven't wandered away from after a few months of membership and I really do think it's the people here that caused that.

I'm having a much harder time with this question than 3, for the record. I can't quite narrow down what exactly it is I would want to change about AVEN... Communication has always been a bit of a problem. If I could have a magical fix for anything, it would be communication on all fronts.

I think I would. As far as I know I haven't irritated that many people yet.

I've got this weird habit of trying not to look at best/worst when it comes to jobs. I've had so many bad ones that it gets me down the road of BitchBitchMoan way too fast. Honestly, though, I think the best part for me is simply being able to take a more active role in the community I love. Worst part, hands down, is not being able to participate in discussions as much or in the way I want to. Even if it's not posting in green, mods are held to a fairly nasty standard and if I say something wrong it looks bad for the whole mod team and AVEN as a whole.

ithaca

I suppose I'll throw out some easy ones just to see how many responses it will get. 1. What, in your opinion, is the best part of AVEN? 2. If you could magically change anything about AVEN what would it be?Okay maybe one less easy one. 3. If you ran for re-election right now do you think you'd win? Why or why not?

1- I second what Sounds said. The moment when people find out they're not alone, and they're ok as they are.

2- I would like to restructure some forums. An idea I have now is to work on Mod Forum (I consider it sort of a dead-arm noone really looks at) and starting from it, making some sort of "History of AVEN" forum, with important threads we shouldn't lose.

3- I don't know, I hope so. I have just been elected admin and I don't think votes would change if we re-did elections now. As far as moderator, I think some people don't trust/like me 'cause I tend to participate in heated discussion, while I noticed most of the team doesn't do that. I hope people don't have any major issues with my modding style, and if they do I encourage them to PM me.

Best part is spending time working on projects with my teammates.

Worst part is when there's fights in the team, or someone takes things personally. It's not like fighting with someone on the board, this being a relatively small team and working every day together.

Uh, I just looked and Cy is starting to gain on you.And that brings me to another question: If you don't like reports, why are we encouraged to make them?

Reports are not the worst thing, but it's not like I like them, so I'll answer, and I second Tea. It's better to report than to create a giant mess engaging directly with someone you find objectionable/inappropriate/etc.

"don't start a giant clusterfest of blaaaaaaaah because that will eventually leave us with more work than if you just reported something".How so?

I think what this means is, to make an example: Member A posts something against ToS (example: insulting another member). Member B, instead of reporting and letting admods deal with it, says "dude that's insulting you shouldn't do that". Member A replies with "Fuck off I can say whatever you want you moron" and member B, feeling insulted, replies with counter-insuting. Member C, D and E, friends of either of them, join the clusterfest insulting the other party too. Now, instead of reviewing the behaviour of member A only, we have 5 people with objectionable behaviour.

Kisa needs a latte

"don't start a giant clusterfest of blaaaaaaaah because that will eventually leave us with more work than if you just reported something".How so?

I think what this means is, to make an example: Member A posts something against ToS (example: insulting another member). Member B, instead of reporting and letting admods deal with it, says "dude that's insulting you shouldn't do that". Member A replies with "Fuck off I can say whatever you want you moron" and member B, feeling insulted, replies with counter-insuting. Member C, D and E, friends of either of them, join the clusterfest insulting the other party too. Now, instead of reviewing the behaviour of member A only, we have 5 people with objectionable behaviour.

Pretty much. Writing one nudge or warn is easier on the team than writing 5. They take more time than you'd probably expect

5_♦♣

Ah. Thanks for the explanation.

Pretty much. Writing one nudge or warn is easier on the team than writing 5. They take more time than you'd probably expect

Nudges: Really? Warns: Well, that would explain why mine was rather lengthy. Seriously, while reading it, I thought "please get to the point".

Kisa needs a latte

Hey everyone I split some posts about transparency into a new thread here since it seems to deserve a thread of its own :)

Tea Lady Thingy, Site Comments Moderator

Qutenkuddly

I disagree with qqaazza's assessment actually. To me, it's more along the lines of "if you have a problem with a user, don't start a giant clusterfest of blaaaaaaaah because that will eventually leave us with more work than if you just reported something.

^ So much this! Believe me, it's far better to have someone step in early when the situation is a bit more easily correctable, than to wait until it explodes all over the place, leaving a bunch of people really whizzed off at each other.

1. The best part of AVEN is the forums. There is a wealth of information and experiences that is shared there, as well as a substantial sense of community. They're far more interactive than, say asexual blog communities, like those found on LiveJournal, but also far less ephemeral than what occurs in a chatroom.

2. If I could magically change anything, I'd conjure up another Doppel; we need a new server tech (or three) badly! I'd also like to see more input from DJ, so we can actually come to some mutual decisions about where to go with AVEN.

3. Probably not; I suspect a number of folk think I'm too much of a tight ass as a mod. :P

Beachwalker

Why did Faelights leave, when I spoke with her in chat when I used to go there she was always so positive and enthusiastic about Aven. I think she made a great contribution to Aven but I didn't even see a farewell thread for her, was there one?

Tanwen

Have to go with the 'not being alone' bit. I can still remember how it felt and spending hours till stupid o'clock in the morning posting with Ams, Goonie and Julie. AVEN has changed a lot since those days but at least I know I'm not alone.

I'd like to go back to the early days insofar as we seemed to be more considerate of each other but I suppose that's because it was a much smaller community and we mainly knew each other.

Maybe I would, maybe I wouldn't I guess it would depend on how people see me and whether they think I've done a good enough job. I like to think I have, I know I've tried.