Sexual Attraction Debate 101

Naosuu

Wow! Such an excellent, excellent thread! This is beautiful! What I got out of this, for me, is that my libido is directionless, but I do have a fetish, and I am also one of those repulsed by sexual intercourse and I most definitely don't NEED to have sex with anyone, nor have I ever fantasized about having sex with anyone.

The current definition of asexuality is simply, "the lack of sexual attraction" and you're saying that it should be elaborated to say, "the lack of sexual attraction and/or sexual desire." Would it make sense to elaborate it further by defining it like this: "The lack of sexual attraction and/or sexual desire in individuals who lack libido or in individuals with directionless libido."? Because that seems to make more sense to me if I was someone discovering asexuality for the first time. With the "the lack of sexual attraction" definition, it raises questions about "what is sexual attraction?" hence, a widespread ongoing debate on AVEN. With the "the lack of sexual attraction and/or sexual desire in individuals who lack libido or in individuals with directionless libido" definition, it raises the question to those new or ignorant on the subject, "what is directionless libido?" And that is much easier to explain that it is the lack of sexual attraction to all genders than to explain what sexual attraction is, and if this qualifies, and that qualifies, etc.

Would it make sense to elaborate it further by defining it like this: "The lack of sexual attraction and/or sexual desire in individuals who lack libido or in individuals with directionless libido."?

I'd love to be listening nearby when someone was given that definition. :lol:

A simpler, thoroughly-understandable definition is "not desiring partnered sex." Four words.

Would it make sense to elaborate it further by defining it like this: "The lack of sexual attraction and/or sexual desire in individuals who lack libido or in individuals with directionless libido."?

I'd love to be listening nearby when someone was given that definition. :lol:

LOL! Touché!

So, "not desiring partnered sex". Simple enough. But let me ask you this; if asexuality, by AVEN's definition, is the "lack of sexual attraction," then, could you still be asexual and still be sexually attracted to a specific fetish that does not involve sexual intercourse? My thinking is "yes" based on what I've read in this thread as it's a directionless libido in the sense that it's directionless towards males or females, yet directed towards a specific body part. :wacko:

So, "not desiring partnered sex". Simple enough. But let me ask you this; if asexuality, by AVEN's definition, is the "lack of sexual attraction," then, could you still be asexual and still be sexually attracted to a specific fetish that does not involve sexual intercourse? My thinking is "yes" based on what I've read in this thread as it's a directionless libido in the sense that it's directionless towards males or females, yet directed towards a specific body part. :wacko:

Based on the 'partnered sex' comment I'd say yes, because partnered sex specifically implies a libido directed towards another person.

Hey, glad you got some stuff out of this :D I'm kind of stuck on the last part... but.. yeah, totally working on it...

...... *shifty eyes* .....

Archived