"Asexual people are not freaks of nature"

hexaquark

It appears to me reading the comments following the article, that your subject has hit a nerve, and exposed great ignorance. It would also seem that those who for whatever reason are not in the stream of sexual activity, are to be freely ostracised. The "Asexual" minority who can number very good, talented people, have long way to go for acceptance and understanding, especially at the hands of the ignorant and insensitive. Remember criminalised homosexuality? Scorn for the unmarried career woman pre-feminism? Patronisation of those with physical disabilities. The Intellectually handicapped out of sight? Scorn of the overweight? The nasty underbelly of society is still there.

You ever get a moment where you realise not everyone in the world is a dick? Both the article and this comment are alright. The other comments, not so much.

And here I thought you were exaggerating when saying the comments were hateful.

I've never seen anything like this. It brings derogatory to a whole new level.

Weird, though, the comments aren't as bad as this in anti-asexual essays.

Hahaha that's why I never read comments :lol: and I won't ;)

I'm pretty happy about the article :P

I like the article like a nice introduction to asexuality for sexuals...and at the same time i believe many of those commentors need to kicked in the head.

:b loved it :). I don't care much for comments ever, even when I'm on Youtube.

Kitty Spoon Train

I've seen much worse comments on asexual articles in the past...

Detractors will feel the need to comment more than people who agree with the article's position. Hundreds of thousands read that newspaper and its web site. Five bad comments does not a consensus make :)

Good article :)

Yea! The article was good, and I went on to read some of the other articles as well. The comments though, are not good.

I read some of the linked articles and do fancy a night at one of those cuddle orgies! :D

I got as far as the article in the Guardian, which was pretty good but did they have to name it 'Among the asexuals'? That makes it sound like the journalist put on his pith helmet, picked up his machete and hacked through the rainforest to the unknown collection of asexual mud huts!

Beware The Demopan

If there is one thing I learned when reading Encyclopedia Dramatica, it's to ignore the crap people spout on the Internet. Thank God I no longer read comments. Anyway, that was a pretty good report.

(200th post!)

The comments aren't actually that bad for a NZ Herald article, and the article itself is one of the more enlightened pieces I have seen from that paper, although I did stop reading the papaer version a few years ago.