Using condoms to promote asexuality

test account

Not all condoms are created equal. Basically, some condoms are more prone to tearing than others... Which likely doesn't matter if you want kids anyway, but if you don't... You'll likely want to avoid the cheap ones.

I have a feeling it's not the quality of the material that bothers them though, but rather the brand name, like it's a fashion statement to only use certain brands.

Yeah, but people associate the lower brand with lower-quality material. It's exactly as someone describe above - it's considered bad to use Durex, let's say, because people see it as a brand that is prone to failing.

Please ask yourself, when you were Googling for information about asexuality, did you use keywords like, Queer, Condom and Dental Dam? If not, why introduce them now?

And LGBT people are constantly typing 'condom'/'dental dam' into google? Sure. xD

I don't know about 'queer', don't think there's a dutch equivalent for it. But I understand it partly means 'non-heterosexual', so why wouldn't (asexual) people who are confused about their feelings use the term in google? Eh?

Please ask yourself, when you were Googling for information about asexuality, did you use keywords like, Queer, Condom and Dental Dam? If not, why introduce them now?

And LGBT people are constantly typing 'condom'/'dental dam' into google? Sure. xD

I don't know about 'queer', don't think there's a dutch equivalent for it. But I understand it partly means 'non-heterosexual', so why wouldn't (asexual) people who are confused about their feelings use the term in google? Eh?

Actually the first time I ever found out about asexuality was while reading about queer tropes, so.....

Not all condoms are created equal. Basically, some condoms are more prone to tearing than others... Which likely doesn't matter if you want kids anyway, but if you don't... You'll likely want to avoid the cheap ones.

I have a feeling it's not the quality of the material that bothers them though, but rather the brand name, like it's a fashion statement to only use certain brands.

Yeah, but people associate the lower brand with lower-quality material. It's exactly as someone describe above - it's considered bad to use Durex, let's say, because people see it as a brand that is prone to failing.

Would using them be considered a cheap date?

Dental dams, I hadn't heard of them until the they were introduced at pride. Never heard anyone talk about condoms until Pride, either, irrelevant. (may have missed it on the threads)

There are many other words they could also enter, dildo, vibrator etc etc....... If someone is confused about their sexuality, I am sure entering asexual into google will bring them here, where I am sure they can discover whether they can fit in or not. Arent we here as a resource for asexuals and for those sexuals in relationships with asexuals, not as a clearing house for every sexual preference in the sexual spectrum?

Meanwhile, I come to this forum to be informed about asexuality, the issues, problems and challenges we all face, regarding this specific area. I have been to over 40 meets and stalked these boards for quite a few years, I guess. Never once have I been confronted by one person lamenting the challenges of the dental dam or the complex subtleties involved in the correct and proper use of the condom. (This thread apart)

Condoms and Dental Dams are peripheral activist tools, not objects commonly used for discussion topics. Personally, I have reams of more relevant issues to sift through daily, problems to solve, information to confirm and challenges to confront.(When I eventually get away from JFF :) ) This is really far more useful to me than trying to affect my Dr Hannibal Lecter look, with my shiny-new, trusty Dental Dam, involving a process that would probably scare the living daylights out of Nervous Daphne, my dear, but jumpy work colleague, who sits on the edge of her seat, next to me. I will probably save the Dental Dam for Halloween night.

I do apologize, I really must dash, as I have another Ann Summers party to organize later. :)

Oh bless, lol, poor mite... :) Please excuse me for being rather inquisitively forthright, but I wonder, did they call him Johnny? :redface:

Nope -- however, there is another nickname for the P that he was almost named.

Reveal :ph34r:

Actually the first time I ever found out about asexuality was while reading about queer tropes, so.....

I would never in a million years have thought to look up what I was by using Google.I suppose this could come across as offensive,but I'm Asexual and therefore being offensive to myself,but I will apologise just in case.I didn't look anything up via Google because I thought what I am was an impossibility.Naive or scared,probably a little bit of both,but I honestly thought I was going to be told somewhere that I was a little bit crazy.I wouldn't have had any idea what to type in anyway and had never heard of Asexuality until I eventually stumbled across the term.

Thank God for crossed wires.

I would never in a million years have thought to look up what I was by using Google.I suppose this could come across as offensive,but I'm Asexual and therefore being offensive to myself,but I will apologise just in case.I didn't look anything up via Google because I thought what I am was an impossibility.Naive or scared,probably a little bit of both,but I honestly thought I was going to be told somewhere that I was a little bit crazy.I wouldn't have had any idea what to type in anyway and had never heard of Asexuality until I eventually stumbled across the term.

Thank God for crossed wires.

Good point, I wonder what words people have used to find Aven, is there a list secreted away somewhere?

"Is there a list secreted away somewhere"?

Yes, but only DJ has access to it (possibly Cole as well, not sure). However, the site has been around for 11 years, the forum for 10. As such, I don't think there's a list of every single search query over the past decade. (I could be wrong though).

It is interesting, I am sure a thread on the subject would ellicit some valuable marketing.

I was told that I was asexual by a gay friend of mine, 6 months later when I told them I was definately asexual and had in fact, joined Aven, they replied, "Asexual, I never knew that!"

I was in disagreement with the wonderful LG about her interpretation of the asexual definition, so at a meet, I questioned people about the definition, asking them to chose between LG's or the Aven Official one, the first four people agreed with LG. Lol, I let it rest at that.

I have another private meet approaching I will enquire again. But I am thinking LG's interpretatino has a lot of credibility.

Lol, views vary, in the outside world. it is interesting, sometimes far removed from Aven's group think!

LGBT attitudes are much removed from the PC, pat on the head, patronising superlatives of many well-meaning allies, whose support helps. But frankly,they are not in the same club, when you have been on the scene, there is a commonality of experiences, outlook and desire. There is also a lot sadness and sorrow, as coming-out experiences are littered with broken families, broken lives and altered futures. The scene stays together, because society has shoved them there. Unfortunately, in life, those who proclaim loudest about their tolerance and acceptance, through their liberal loud-hailers of benevolence, are some of the worst people you will ever encounter in your whole life, lol... :)

Yes, but only DJ has access to it (possibly Cole as well, not sure). However, the site has been around for 11 years, the forum for 10. As such, I don't think there's a list of every single search query over the past decade. (I could be wrong though).

It's not as good as data collected from the site (which I'm not sure if we track) but you can see some of the search terms people have used by looking at alexa data: http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/asexuality.org

It's not as good as data collected from the site (which I'm not sure if we track) but you can see some of the search terms people have used by looking at alexa data: http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/asexuality.org

Cool, thank you :)

It is interesting, I am sure a thread on the subject would ellicit some valuable marketing.

I was told that I was asexual by a gay friend of mine, 6 months later when I told them I was definately asexual and had in fact, joined Aven, they replied, "Asexual, I never knew that!"

I was in disagreement with the wonderful LG about her interpretation of the asexual definition, so at a meet, I questioned people about the definition, asking them to chose between LG's or the Aven Official one, the first four people agreed with LG. Lol, I let it rest at that.

I have another private meet approaching I will enquire again. But I am thinking LG's interpretatino has a lot of credibility.

Lol, views vary, in the outside world. it is interesting, sometimes far removed from Aven's group think!

LGBT attitudes are much removed from the PC, pat on the head, patronising superlatives of many well-meaning allies, whose support helps. But frankly,they are not in the same club, when you have been on the scene, there is a commonality of experiences, outlook and desire. There is also a lot sadness and sorrow, as coming-out experiences are littered with broken families, broken lives and altered futures. The scene stays together, because society has shoved them there. Unfortunately, in life, those who proclaim loudest about their tolerance and acceptance, through their liberal loud-hailers of benevolence, are some of the worst people you will ever encounter in your whole life, lol... :)

I have my own personal definition to Asexuality.It does fit in with the AVEN definition,as to me that is the best way to describe it,but I have added my own little touch.

I found out about Asexuality by Googgling The hit T.V. show Dexter.I didn't use the internet very often and hadn't used Wikipedia at all,but Mr.Morgans Wiki site mentioned that "in the first season Dexter could pssoibly identify as Asexual."And there was a link.I thought "Hang on a minute,that sounds Sex related and Dexter doesn't like it,let's go have a look see".Asexuality linked me to AVEN and AVEN linked me to some of the nicest,most kind,caring people of all the times.

• 10 years later...

(Below is an official, green, mod message.)

Hi, everyone. This event has finished.

So, it's being locked.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator