Using condoms to promote asexuality

test account

Yawn. I don't get all the fuss about it. It the same was printed on a pen, no one would be complaining. Everyone hands out the same crap everywhere. I just got a few condoms from political parties here, had nothing to do with their programma or anything. I hardly think the view of asexuality will be determined by what kind of promotional crap we hand out at a march here and there.

Also, if people think the World Pride is a gay event... Who the **** cares? Are we going to let our decisions be influenced by that ignorant part of society?

I can only imagine the uproar if political parties here in Canada handed out condoms.

I think politicians and condoms are fine bedfellows, we all need protection from them.

I can only imagine the uproar if political parties here in Canada handed out condoms.

I think politicians and condoms are fine bedfellows, we all need protection from them.

but....condoms ARE protection.....

Opinions on politics aside, condoms are still a very useful thing to have.

but....condoms ARE protection.....

Of course, constraint by protection!

Yawn. I don't get all the fuss about it. It the same was printed on a pen, no one would be complaining. Everyone hands out the same crap everywhere. I just got a few condoms from political parties here, had nothing to do with their programma or anything. I hardly think the view of asexuality will be determined by what kind of promotional crap we hand out at a march here and there.

Also, if people think the World Pride is a gay event... Who the **** cares? Are we going to let our decisions be influenced by that ignorant part of society?

You might care if that ignorant part of society are the conservative majority.

Why?

EDIT: Also, are you saying that all conservatives are ignorants? 'Cause that's quite debatable. Or are they ignorants only when they are a majority?

Edited by ithaca

Yeah no kidding. Unless there was a major protest at World Pride or something. But I don't remember anyone who was there mentioning a protest of the event so...

Prides have always had also others orientations, like bisexuals, and people parading for non binary gender identities, which are also part of our community.

We also need to consider intersections with the LGBT community, like homo/bi/pan-romantic aces ('cause they actually can be seen in relationships that just 'look gay') and trans* aces. So should these aces feel like they can parade only for a part of their identity? You can parade for beign trans*, but don't say you're ace at WP, you'll make the heteroromantic aces feel ashamed :o

It is like a slimming company teaming up with McDonalds and giving out McDiet burgers!!!

Maybe this never reached you folks across the pond, but there was once a McLean.

Lol, thanks Skull. Did the quarter pounder, become a quarter rouble (apologies to midnight) Did the Big Mac become the Little Lenny, a burgherless bun with dwafism, topped with a relish made from sawdust (Might have improved the taste)

Did Ronalds McDonald become Skeleton O'Connell

Lol, there is a difference, I think that McDonalds have a better marketing strategy on paper, better than dental dam opinion shaker, that started with the Aven Condom Caper,

Next Idea........ Sell vegetarian produce from a Butcher's shop?

Anyway, I am off to get my hair styled, I have an appointment with a Mr Sweeney Todd, who apparently, is an expert in short-cuts. He would be perfect as Aven's marketing manager, bless, he would soon dispose of any Aven critics like me..... Critics, Out with the hair cuttings.... bring on da condoms, the safety helmet of sexual intercourse!!!

rofl "skeleton O'Connell". :D

I support your contention that asexuality should break away from LGBT, because I really see very little similarities. And, watching my partner come to terms with her asexuality (having already come out as lesbian), there really doesn't seem to be much overlap, neither in the way it manifests, both emotionally and physically, nor the implications with relationships. Obviously I realize that asexuality and impotence aren't the same thing, but I do think they have more in common with each other than with the LGBT movement... can you imagine if the erectile dysfunction people starting calling themselves queer and making all the poor old dudes with limp dicks start picketing for gay rights? :blink: Doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense.

EDIT:

I just have to check, although I feel certain about the answer. Gypsies, you don't have an issue with the gays generally, right? Just in their relation with asexuality?

I like the idea of giving away cakes- not only do cakes represent innocence as Gypsy said, cakes are fun and tasty, a lot of people can take part in making them, and they're a much more universally accepted thing (unlike condoms).

Additionally, people pay for cakes as they are food, so the proceeds from that could go towards some kind of a cause or charity :)

(as a side note, black-grey-white-purple cake decorations, anyone? :D)

I like the idea of giving away cakes- not only do cakes represent innocence as Gypsy said, cakes are fun and tasty, a lot of people can take part in making them, and they're a much more universally accepted thing (unlike condoms).

Additionally, people pay for cakes as they are food, so the proceeds from that could go towards some kind of a cause or charity :)

Some points about this idea, even though it sounds nice, more on a practical level:

• how much cake would you need, considering we handed out 1000 condoms and needed more?
  • who's gonna pay for it? (yes, cake it's more expensive)
  • we had two carts (one smaller than the other) and we barely fit the things we had there (which was not only condoms, giving we had 10.000 leaflets, t shirts, the stuff to set up the banner, we had balloons and a can of helium to prepare the ballons, not to mention bags and alike), so how would you arrange to bring cake in what is a marching event?
  • handing out cake can lead to many issues on a safety level (not so innocent lol). Many kids would run and take cake, or we would hand it out, marching, without having time to know if the person taking it is allergic to any ingredient. We shouldn't kill people to promote asexuality, right? :lol: Even though some people are allergic to some materials the condoms are made of, they are packed and it's adults who know what they are and whether they can use them or not

These are just the ones off the top of my head. We did consider cake, but you see the problems?

Lol, Skulls, I was on the Gay Scene for over a decade, absolutely loved it, crazy people doing crazy things, whilst I somehow, remained sexually aloof.. That was until last year, when i had a couple of bad experiences, (I made the mistake of wondering off from the group,) so I decided to call it a gay day. I love gay people, I have them with potatoes and spinach, every Sunday, for lunch, yum yum.

Seriously, you can have so much fun at the clubs and pubs, all with no air of menace. You really need to have a very laid-back attitude and probably a thick skin. Over the years, every part of my body has been touched or been the victim of a swift-stolen fondle, lol. A lot of gay guys were really obsessed by breasts. At times, you would be dancing on the first floor and a line of lesbians would go past and one of them would have a quick feel of your little bags of air, then run off laughing, bless em!!!

I love people and their experiences, I have talked to so many, the incredible contrast in people’s lives is amazing. One thing i noticed on the scene in Brum, was the guys were more likely to be out at work, whilst the girls were more likely to keep their sexuality a secret. Come Saturday, the girls would spike their hair and hit the scene, then flatten it out for work on Monday.

A few years ago, I was falling apart faster than a 30 year old Aeroflot plane sitting in the Arizona desert. Like my friends, Nicola and Nutee, I was luckily taken under the wing of some wonderful alternative people and emotionally preserved for the future, forever. Basically, thanks to a gay gang of nutters. I really do think that Gay men make fantastic friends for the girls, they are awesome.

I still miss the scene and the fantastic laughs that we had, but I needed to change the course of my social life, before it changed my life to death, lol! I could hear the forecast for my longevity, the days ahead were menaced by permanently over-cast skies, incessantly wet and rainy vistas, becoming stacked high with cumulo nimbus clouds, whipped up like dark ice-creams of death, with only bad winters to look forward to. It was time my life-expectancy felt some global warming,

I was that immersed in the scene, that one time, in the club, I saw a straight couple kissing, my thoughts instantly ricocheted around, totally unconscious of logic, completely missing the sanity spell checker, which meant for a few seconds, I actually thought it was wrong for people of the opposite sex to kiss. Lol, I hadn’t seen it for years, a man and a woman together, just where did this innovative idea come from, tee hee?

I really have no trouble talking about, or emphasising the dark under-belly of the scene, it affected me! Then again, i can talk about the darkness inherent in most social scenes. Lol, the folk-scene was full of bed-hopping beards and flouncing,unfaithful floral dresses.

I just have the feeling that many aces, who have no experience of the scene, think Pride is full of nice, jolly, little gay people, wearing multi-coloured clothes, who are in wont of a pat on the head. I have experienced people patronising gay people and the scene. At a previous company, the staff knew my social life encompassed the gay Scene and they often remarked to me, that they had met some gay people, and how nice they were. I finally got them to shut up, when I mentioned that I had visited a non-gay nightclub and told them how lovely it was, I enthused that I’d met two thousand straight people, and you know what, they were really nice!

Scene lifestyle, is naturally quite different, generally, from the ace lifestyle. No lifestyle is ever better than any other, just more suitable for those who live it.

Some of the people that i’ve met, have really suffered, for their right to love their own gender and be proud of it and be unafraid to show it, and to express it all in safety

There are so many incompatible things between Aces and LGBT, I have been to over 40 meets and the mindset and philosophy is completely different. It is the reason why aces do not hang around at gay clubs for their meets. If people seriously want to be credibly represented at Pride, well, they must start spending the pink pound and join the scene. Don't just gate-crash their pride party once a year.

It is unsurprising Skull, that people who have spent an extended time on the gay scene, are against the pride stuff, whilst the naive ones are all for it. I just shake my head in disbelief. It is rather frustrating!!!

Ah... I see :(

I guess for a small event it would be okay but I hadn't even thought of it being on such a huge scale D:

This is why I don't organise things... xD

Edit: I should probably have done that as a reply but I don't know how to change that now... :(

Some points about this idea, even though it sounds nice, more on a practical level:

• how much cake would you need, considering we handed out 1000 condoms and needed more?
  • we had two carts (one smaller than the other) and we barely fit the things we had there (which was not only condoms, giving we had 10.000 leaflets, t shirts, the stuff to set up the banner, we had balloons and a can of helium to prepare the ballons, not to mention bags and alike), so how would you arrange to bring cake in what is a marching event?
  • handing out cake can lead to many issues on a safety level (not so innocent lol). Many kids would run and take cake, or we would hand it out, marching, without having time to know if the person taking it is allergic to any ingredient. We shouldn't kill people to promote asexuality, right? :lol: Even though some people are allergic to some materials the condoms are made of, they are packed and it's adults who know what they are and whether they can use them or not

These are just the ones off the top of my head. We did consider cake, but you see the problems?

Lol, may I ask, how do you know that people are not allergic to rubber? I must also remind you that giving out condoms at Pride is akin to giving ice to eskimos. Nearly every gay bar/club have boxes of Healthy Gay life condoms and lube.

I am sure that condoms probably represent more danger to kids than dangerous donuts, evil egg-custards, and killer cake.

Lol, are you sure your're not edging towards the realms of heightened hysteria, talking about murderous marzipan, evil eclairs and hateful hundreds and thousands being responsible for the Great Pride Muffin Massacre... Lol, Cake my Day

I do wonder if any sinister slices of cake get taken to court, and they are exchanging icing stares with the jury of 12 bread rolls, good and true,(and well-baked too!) When the judge enters and everyone is asked to rise, would the cakes be able to do it without being in the oven?

Lol, may I ask, how do you know that people are not allergic to rubber?

Note the part of ith's post that I italicized.

So were they only handed out to adults?

I'm not talking of legal age, but I think you recognize a child from someone with the age to have sex right?

So were they only handed out to adults?

Were they vetted and did they have to sign a disclaimer.. :)

Lol, bless you..... I am booking myself into remedial reading classes. Derp Derp Derp!!!

Whilst i am here, my lesbian friends used to take the free condoms to put on their Dildo's Considering they were rather brash and in your face, they were awfully coy about being seen to be taking condoms. The straight girls had no compunction!!! But I am guessing that their compunction was 40% proof after a night of vodka/codes, bless their little tootsies :)