Are You a Loner?

Ziffler

I'm a bit half and half. I enjoy my peace and solitude, but I also like going out and doing active things with friends.

I may fit the description of a loner because of the way I choose to live my private life, but I am not shy, introverted or antisocial, because I function perfectly in situations where I have to socialize with others, including work situations. For me, being in my own company is soothing and relaxing to my mind, body and soul and that is why I spend so much of m time alone,

I'm pretty much a loner but I do get lonely. I haven't had the best of luck making friends. I've never been able to make friends easily and I seem to attract the wrong kind. I would love to have at least one good friend but for the most part I'm okay with being alone.

I am an introvert and need lots of down time. This can be alone or in the company of someone I can be myself with. I just get tired of wearing masks, like the one I wear at work, and need to be able to just be me. The activities I enjoy are ones that can be enjoyed alone, like reading and writing or with a like minded friend, like hiking or travel. I have very little desire to go to parties or immerse myself in crowds. If it weren't for special occasions I suspect I'd skip them entirely. So I think how much of a loner I am is directly related to my choices for companionship in the moment. And since I keep my circle of true friends small, it can tip towards more alone time, but I am well content with that!

Oh, yes, I have always loved my solitude...Now that it's just myself and Mama in the house, it's pretty quiet. She dislikes television as do I, we both prefer to read, but we don't like the same books, so, there she is in her bedroom reading her book, and I am in here reading mine. :mellow: I have never been one of those people who have to have a gang of people around. In my sales associate job I am around enough people all day and all week to last a lifetime. On my days off I like nothing better than to hole up and hibernate in here and write and read and just think, or let my mind rest and think of nothing at all. I don't really have what I could say is a best friend....People with me run more toward acquaintances. I am not really close to anyone I work with, well, maybe this one woman and her daughter. We go to the movies sometimes when we have the money and she has the time. :mellow:

I mostly love the complete quiet, no telly on, no music....my real ideal place to live would be someplace up in the mountains. I love trees and animals...I love nature...I love long, solitary walks in the fall and Winter, love those crisp, cold raw days even when the sun isn't shining...

I have always been good at entertaining myself even as a little child...I never get lonely...

I am very choosy about the people I'm around, but am more of a people person. As I become more OK with my situation and more open about my situation (and find that people are OK with it) I feel more at ease. I didn't expect this- but now I crave more time by myself. Maybe I can see the upsides of it all a little more clearly. Stevie Nicks is single- for different reasons- but that puts a more interesting spin on being unattached.

Great shares everyone. I'm grateful for the topic and the ensuing insights.

I'm a "Highly Sensitive Person" (Carl Jung's original concept underlying the notion of "introversion") ... I get over-stimulated in most social situations, which causes me to shut down and feel drained. Typically, people perceive me as being gregarious and socially adept, but that persona comes at a physical, mental, emotional and spiritual cost to me. Where I feel most okay in the world is when I'm walking with my dog in the woods with nobody else around. It's as if all of the cells in my body quiet down and return to their intended home, and I lose all sense of self-consciousness. The tricky part is that I do want to be in a partnership (asexual), but it's hard to find a man who accepts the amount of alone time I need and who is okay with my asexuality. However, having just today discovered AVEN and the whole "asexual" community, I'm hopeful that I can find ways to feel a sense of belonging with or without a partnership in my life.

Thank you!

Kelly

• 2 weeks later...

I have written on here sometime ago, but I was wondering if any of you have the same problem? After being in a crowd or where I have spoken to people, when at home the whole scene replays in my mind. If there was music that goes through my mind till it finaly goes away. Conversation reply and I judge myself, should I have said that or that! It is iratating.

I suppose that's what it is like to be introverted.

Archived