New FoxNews video about asexuality

Hey there

Percy McKean

Fox, if you're going to make jokes about us, you could at least make the jokes funny. What a bunch of dweebs.

snufflebottoms

Fox fucking up the definition is almost proof asexuality is real. That's how bad Fox News is.

Fox fucking up the definition is almost proof asexuality is real. That's how bad Fox News is.

This. I feel like this entire thread should fall under the "You know asexuality is mainstream when..." section. You know asexuality is mainstream when Fox News does a show on it, and makes a mockery of what we (don't) experience.

This. I feel like this entire thread should fall under the "You know asexuality is mainstream when..." section. You know asexuality is mainstream when Fox News does a show on it, and makes a mockery of what we (don't) experience.

ditto and this is why fox sucks even more

Glitter Spock

Also, if anyone wants a rough transcript:

Host: Some feel a tug, others just shrug: I’m speaking of those who feel no sexual attraction to others. A new book argues that asexuals, an estimated one percent of the population, should be recognized as a fourth sexual orientation, or FSO for short. With the author calling them an understudied group who could feel very excluded from our quote “very sexualized culture” and indeed it is. Said one fan of neither woman or man quote: “we want asexuality to be recognized as a valid sexual orientation rather than a disorder or something people have to hide.” -(Michael Dore, World Pride Conference)

So let’s discuss this in the - shall we - Lighting Rooooooooooouuuuuuuund (they say it exactly like that)

Brooks, do you buy this orientation? Asexuals? Are they an under-

Brooke Goldfiend (Lawfare Project Director): Oh, I buy it.

Host: Oh you do?

Brooke: Asexuality has been around for a very long time, it’s called being a woman every three and a half weeks. (laughter) It’s a wonderful excuse to get out of obligations. (more laughter) I feel really bad for this poor 23-year-old who actually went and did the interview who admitted that he doesn’t objectify women, so they classified him as being asexual. I mean that’s the whole problem with the study, it went around to a bunch of men, and they didn’t want to, you know, have sex ten times a day, and suddenly they’re asexual.

Host: so you think that actually these people were just normal, or they were undereporting it -

Brooke: absolutely I think they were normal in an uber-sexualized society, so we’ve had to invent this asexuality

Someone: Wow!

???: (jokingly) I just can’t believe the interview thought that I was 23

(laughter)

Host: Jamie, could it be they’re exaggerating asexuality, the numbers, like everybody does, remember we were told that this population was this big and then it wasn;t really this big, I’m talking about pixies.

(laughter)

Jamie Weinstein (Dailycalle): (sarcastically) I don’t think academics ever exaggerate anything . no, there was, I think there was a show about asexuality, or at least a segment on Saturday Night Live, it’s called Pat, uh, so I think they’ve been represented to some degree. But I think it’s kind of something, if you’ve ever been to-when I was on a college campus I remember, there was the lesbian bisexual gay and transgender, and then uh, questioning, they keep adding different letters, it does seem like we’re gonna be keep adding different letters for this.

Host: But I think they won’t be long on that one because they have a lack of a sexual - a sort - a sexuality, so they’ll be kinda like, treated as lepers, asexual lepers, if you will, uh dan. Fact is though you knew someone in high school like this didn’t you, or if you didn’t know someone then it was you

Dan Soder, (Comedian): wow, I don’t know, why are you cornering me like that?

(laughter)

I don’t know, I think when they say they want to be represented what do they want, just like the most boring beer commercials ever, just like a guy that’s like “beer”. (laughter). That’s it. No chicks in bikinis.

Host: But that’s the point. If this is the beginning, bill, of asexual rights, how - look what kind of discrimination will they be fighting against?

Bill: How where they discriminated against to begin with? they can focus on more things, get more done, not have to worry about a myriad of things that you sexual people have to worry about. I think that the problem with this is that it’s one percent. And can we just like, after a while stop recognizing things? Like if it’s that small a portion of the population, do I have to recognize you? Like, woo recognize me because I wear sock monkey hats! Ok, there’s a couple people that wear sock monkey hats, I don’t need to recognize you. yes, you exist. Move on.

Host: What do you have against sock monkeys?

Bill?: I’ve been to Williamsburg way to many times this weekend, I’m done with it.

Host: Well when somebody wants to be recognized you gotta wonder what do they want? And then you have to ask yourself what are they not getting?

Dan: Well we know they don’t want sex (laughter) so that’s what we know they’re not after

Host: exactly! so they want something else. I don’t trustem, I don’t trust em a bit

Dan: I don’t trust them at all (laughter)

-end-

Oh god, I couldn't finish reading that without feeling sick. There is just so much WTF. ;_;

It's not surprising that Fox News denies that sex is important to a lot of people, but them equating sexual attraction with "objectifying [insert gender]" was really jarring for me. This is the first time I've heard anyone say asexuality is "normal" (normal is in typical); having spent the past decade being told by my peers that it wasn't.

snufflebottoms

:lol: I was thinking the same thing!

Fox News gets most things wrong. Fox news has so many idiots on that program.

Sickening. Also, not entirely sure that quote from Michael is correct, I don't remember him saying that at the conference. Could be wrong...or Fox is just misquoting. Again.

The channel is truly the proverbial brick wall. So mad.

kitchenwitch

I'm pretty sure the quote from Michael is correct. It came from press releases regarding Anthony Bogaert's book, it's been in several other news pieces over the weekend.

Not to be picky to the mods, but shouldn't this be moved to that other thread or should the other thread be moved to this thread?

Not to be picky to the mods, but shouldn't this be moved to that other thread or should the other thread be moved to this thread?

I was awaiting response to a query regarding which folder this should be in, as it sorta fits both, but we've decided it'll go to World Watch.

Thread moved to World Watch.

Qutenkuddly,

Asexual Musings and Rantings Moderator

Night Butterfly

I'm a little bit disgusted to be the same species as these people. I understand Fox News (from what I hear) isn't anything to be trusted or taken seriously with but...I mean people watch this. People are laughing with this and probably agreeing with this...it makes me sick.

It's bad, it's ignorant, but I've seen worse. At least they said what asexuality is correctly and didn't say "it's people who CHOOSE not to have sex because it's probably ultra-religious fanatics" (I have seen this, sadly) and they brought the message about the discrimination, even though they then somehow discriminated against us.

This is a comedic news broadcast. they get the point out and then they make jokes, half the people on the panel are usually comedians. The show is not intended to be taken seriously. but like ith is quoted they did get the correct message out, and did hint at the discrimination issues.

Lady Heartilly

Ah, the latest news from the network that informed us that the Muppets are undercover communists on a secret mission to turn all of our children against capitalism. :rolleyes:

The posts from a similar thread, named “Fox News gets asexuality all wrong ”, have been merged to this topic. The OP has been informed.

Tadkitteh-Temp World Watch Forum Moderator

And to apply 23DN4L's argument, aren't disabled people worth about 1% as well? By that mean, they should be treated like the rest of the planet and get used to their troubles; We're not going to fuss about a 1% (I'm not saying asexuality is a disease-- on the contrary, even.) And also, isn't homosexuality demographics of about 2-3%? I find their reasoning quite empty, to say the least.

I'd like to point out that Jewish people make up 0.2% of the global population. If someone on Fox News even jokingly suggested that Judaism should be discounted as a religion because so few people believe in it they would be fired, no questions asked. Just because you've never heard of it doesn't make it stupid.

Ignorant rather than hateful ... well, it's a bad start, but a start.

And it's FOX. I refuse to be insulted by those chuckleheads

Ah, the latest news from the network that informed us that the Muppets are undercover communists on a secret mission to turn all of our children against capitalism. :rolleyes:

You mean the Muppets aren't a commie plot... ? :lol:

You know, I really think someone should ask for an apology. Their report was appalling! They have so much influence over so many people, and they go and misuse it like that.

It is like who gives a shit, you are only 1 percent of the population so shut up! >_< Oh my gosh I am sooo pissed.

It can be so difficult being asexual!! They know nothing. What prejudiced idiots. I really hate them. Also I think women in general should be pissed off about ' it is called being a woman'. WHATEVER! Woman can be and usually are just as sexual as men and I don't think this idea of women not liking sex as much is a good stereotype. Big idiots. Man..that is just sp offensive what they said all the way around,

Gosh pissed off.

And to apply 23DN4L's argument, aren't disabled people worth about 1% as well? By that mean, they should be treated like the rest of the planet and get used to their troubles; We're not going to fuss about a 1% (I'm not saying asexuality is a disease-- on the contrary, even.) And also, isn't homosexuality demographics of about 2-3%? I find their reasoning quite empty, to say the least.

I'd like to point out that Jewish people make up 0.2% of the global population. If someone on Fox News even jokingly suggested that Judaism should be discounted as a religion because so few people believe in it they would be fired, no questions asked. Just because you've never heard of it doesn't make it stupid.

THIS THIS!!!

Gosh damn they just laugh us off .

Oddly, features on Fox News regarding asexuality from previous years seemed far more benign.

From 2006:

From 2009: FOXSexpert: Asexuality - Is It Even Real?

This is not to say that I consider Faux News anything more than televised tabloid sensationalism, but it's interesting to see the difference in attitude.

It is weird..my only idea is that the people in the 2006 report were actualy journalists, trying to answer the questions and better understand the issue, rather than just dismissing it. A journalist is supposed to explore an idea, an event, people, whatever , not just give one sided opinion bashing it. perhaps this particular news program is more of an opinion based show? Not really news then, though is it?

• Like 1

Not that I wasn't ready for this sort of reaction (especially if it is Fox News), but it still hurt...

If someone had 7 Billion dollars and offered 1% of it, i bet they wouldn't think it so small. Now change the dollars to people, still small?