• I am not sure
    • I don't label myself
  4. 4. Do you Identify as Sapioromantic?

• Yes
    • No
    • I am not sure
    • I don't label myself

Mostly Peaceful Ryan

I have created this Poll to see the Statistics of the Romantic orientation in the AVEN community. I have separated the orientations into categories:
The first being more based on the Kinsey scale, I have included more options then the Kinsey scale of course.
The second on is based on the Aromantic spectrum. This has from romantic to aromantic.
The Final two are separated from both categories, so I have put them on there own.
I feel that there is only one answer for each question, in the way I set it up, however I know everyone is different here so if someone has a problem I don't mind making an adjustment to the poll. I believe that everyone can accurately represent themselves with this Poll.
I hope to get the most accurate statistics here so I included as many orientations as possible happy.gif
Let me know if there is a problem. smile.gif

Thread pinned.

ithaca and Tea Lady Thingy

A/Romantic Identities Moderators

That was surprisingly hard to answer. I consider myself fairly versed in the terminology generally used around discussions here, but I found myself looking up a lot of those words and then the words within the looked up definition. Go figure. Thanks though, learned some!

Mostly Peaceful Ryan

I'm glad I helped you learn. ^_^ I'm sorry you had to look them up though

If anyone else needs to look up any of these terms they are all here at the Lexicon So it is easy for you :)

Aromantic Aromantic No and No

I do experience aesthetics attraction towards androgynous people though

Aromantic, Aromantic, No and I'm not sure.

I had to think a bit on questions 2 and 4. Although i consider myself to be aromantic, i do feel that i am theoretically a demiromantic (as in i would only desire a relationship with someone i was extremely comfortable around) but i doubt i will ever feel that way about anyone. If i were to be in a relationship, it would be more to do with whether i found the person interesting or not, but given that i have pretty much no interest in a relationship i answered with I'm not sure.

Notte stellata

1. Heteroromantic.

2. Not sure demiromantic or "full" romantic.

3. No.

4. Not sure: I'm very sapio-attracted, but I don't think "sapioromantic" deserves its own label. Maybe I should have voted for "I don't label myself ".

Waist of Thyme

1. Aromantic

2. Aromantic

3. No

4. No

Mostly Peaceful Ryan

1. Heteroromantic.

2. Not sure demiromantic or "full" romantic.

3. No.

4. Not sure: I'm very sapio-attracted, but I don't think "sapioromantic" deserves its own label. Maybe I should have voted for "I don't label myself ".

I feel Sapioromantic means you need that person to be intelligent or you won't be attracted romantically at all, It is different then being attracted to intelligence because you can still find someone romantically attractive if they aren't intelligent. But a Sapioromantic wouldn't feel any romantic attraction for them unless they were intelligent,

1. Gynoromantic

2. Romantic (thought for a while about going with "not sure", as I'm rom-repulsed; but I definitely do feel rom attraction full-on)

3. Yes

4. No

Notte stellata

I feel Sapioromantic means you need that person to be intelligent or you won't be attracted romantically at all, It is different then being attracted to intelligence because you can still find someone romantically attractive if they aren't intelligent. But a Sapioromantic wouldn't feel any romantic attraction for them unless they were intelligent,

I guess I fit in the definition then. But by "intelligence", I don't mean something like a very high IQ, but an intellectual curiosity and a tendency to think about things. Also they need to share my core values and thoughts - intellectual compatibility is crucial for me to develop romantic attraction.

But if there needs to be a label for such people, shouldn't there be labels for those who have other criteria for romantic attraction? For example, some people are only romantic attracted to tall people, or educated people, or people who are good at sports...There can be numerous labels. :lol:

I don't agree with the sapioromantic label at all, personally. And in theory it means that sapioromantic people are romantically attracted by someone because of their intelligence, and not only to intelligent people in general. I think it's somehow more specific, but I still find it useless and confusing. **shrugs**

Mostly Peaceful Ryan

I fall under Sapioromantic, but I don't see a point to it either. I don't have it on my profile and don't really use it as a way to identify myself unless someone brings it up or I am stating my entire orientation. to me it is like a middle name I have it but don't use it to identify myself. I am more inclined to identify as Asexual or Straight depending on the person I am talking to. I wouldn't bring up my Sapioromatic side or Demiromantic side. I put Sapio and Lithi in the poll mainly because they are in the Lexicon and I wanted to include it all. I am interested in seeing how common people identify as them because they are lesser known.

I don't think sapioromantic is something that can be added, though. It's not like "i like pizza AND pasta", it's more like, "i like only pasta". So sapioromantics, as far as I understand, are romantically attracted by the intelligence of that person as first thing; everything else comes after. I think some people found it necessary because they are usually aromantic (sapio fall under the aromantic spectrum, I think? as a kind of Grey-A?) but sometimes found themselves romantically attracted by someone exclusively because of their intelligence. Not like they preferred someone who is ALSO intelligent.

Mostly Peaceful Ryan

I think the main problem with this term is the broadness of the definition of intelligence.

Intelligence: capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, and similar forms of mental activity; aptitude in grasping truths, relationships, facts, meanings,

I find it funny cause you are romantically attracted to people that are good at relationships.So they would be attracted to having a romantic relationship with someone only if they are good at relationships. :blink: I feel it is like saying I am only attracted to someone sexually if they are good at sex. :lol:

Mostly Peaceful Ryan

I think the main problem with this term is the broadness of the definition of intelligence.

Intelligence: capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, and similar forms of mental activity; aptitude in grasping truths, relationships, facts, meanings,

I find it funny cause you are romantically attracted to people that are good at relationships.So they would be attracted to having a romantic relationship with someone only if they are good at relationships. :blink: I feel it is like saying I am only attracted to someone sexually if they are good at sex. :lol:

It's one of those labels that just doesn't convey enough useful information to be worth it, IMHO. You might as well say, "I value intelligence". It's only one syllable longer and sounds a whole lot less pretentious.

I agree with that completely, Also if in a normal conversation you bring up you are Sapioromantic, you will have to explain what Sapioromantic means because it is such and uncommon term. I've had to explain what it meant here in chat twice today and this is a community where the majority know obscure terms for orientation. I see the entire term useless. What is a word good for if you have to define it whenever you use it? Saying I like intelligent people is so much simpler and it gets the same message across.

I currently identify as sapioromantic but I don't see it as having to do with intelligence, but as personality. I am attracted to their mind, but not their IQ.

Yay for throwing another screw into the works XD

helana12_03

Romantic orientation:

Aromantic (I haven't been romantically attracted to anyone in years).

Placement in the Romantic spectrum:

Demiromantic (I used to be more heteroromantic than aromantic, but that was a very long time ago - years. Back then, I only wanted to date people I had known for a long time, and only those I had a very strong connection with).

Do you Identify as Lithromantic?

No

Do you Identify as Sapioromantic?

No

LucyLuluStar

I don't even know what most of those terms mean... :unsure:

But I do know that I'm only attracted to beautiful men/boys and preferably the guy must be tall (6 feet 2 inches or taller), lean, have good muscle tone, and I prefer boys with long hair. 8)

Mostly Peaceful Ryan

But I do know that I'm only attracted to beautiful men/boys and preferably the guy must be tall (6 feet 2 inches or taller), lean, have good muscle tone, and I prefer boys with long hair. 8)

:cake: Welcome to AVEN. These terms are can be confusing, since there are so many of them, If you would like to post unsure for the Answers that is fine ^_^

Attraction to men doesn't necessarily mean you are Hetero-romantic. It all depends on what type of attration you are feeling for them. It could be just Aesthetic attraction or Sensual attraction. It isn't necessarily romantic attraction. This makes it all so much more confusing. If you are confused, I am happy to answer any questions.

LucyLuluStar

:cake: Welcome to AVEN. These terms are can be confusing, since there are so many of them, If you would like to post unsure for the Answers that is fine ^_^

Attraction to men doesn't necessarily mean you are Hetero-romantic. It all depends on what type of attration you are feeling for them. It could be just Aesthetic attraction or Sensual attraction. It isn't necessarily romantic attraction. This makes it all so much more confusing. If you are confused, I am happy to answer any questions.

What's the difference between sensual attraction and romantic attraction? I thought they were pretty much the same thing.

About me.. Well I'm definitely only attracted to men/boys. I think it's sensual but also maybe romantic, depending on how attractive the boy is physically and also how intelligent he is, kindness and gentleness plays a major part as well. Is it sensual or romantic attraction if for instance, when I'm attracted to a boy and I look at him or maybe we're talking to each other, and I find myself quickly aroused. Or maybe is it a combination of both? :unsure:

5_♦♣

"when I'm attracted to a boy and I look at him or maybe we're talking to each other, and I find myself quickly aroused".

That sounds like sexual attraction, rather than either romantic or sensual attraction to me, anyway. Sensual attraction is when you get the urge to say, cuddle with someone or do other physical but non sexual things with them. Someone else can help you out with romantic attraction, as I can't really describe it.

LucyLuluStar

"when I'm attracted to a boy and I look at him or maybe we're talking to each other, and I find myself quickly aroused".

That sounds like sexual attraction, rather than either romantic or sensual attraction to me, anyway. Sensual attraction is when you get the urge to say, cuddle with someone or do other physical but non sexual things with them. Someone else can help you out with romantic attraction, as I can't really describe it.

I don't get it.. :blink: I thought sensual was a little like sexual. Oh and umm.. I didn't mean "quickly aroused" as in I want to have sex with him, but more like just a feeling inside me. It's kind of hard to describe. -_- It's more like I feel something inside me and its sort of mental, emotional, and sort of physical too. But I don't think of sleeping with the guy. I just want to connect with him. And it's more emotionally and mentally, rather than physically. Unless it's more like an embrace or touch with him. Does that make sense? :unsure:

This was a difficult poll. 10 years ago I would be sure I'm lithromantic but since I haven't fall for anyone even if I tried, I think I'm a pure aromantic. Still, people do appeal to me - females in a more aesthetical way, males in a more "personality" way, but I don't get crushes on them. So I went with aromantic, grayromantic, not sure for lithromantic, not sapiosexual.

I don't get it.. :blink: I thought sensual was a little like sexual. Oh and umm.. I didn't mean "quickly aroused" as in I want to have sex with him, but more like just a feeling inside me. It's kind of hard to describe. -_- It's more like I feel something inside me and its sort of mental, emotional, and sort of physical too. But I don't think of sleeping with the guy. I just want to connect with him. And it's more emotionally and mentally, rather than physically. Unless it's more like an embrace or touch with him. Does that make sense? :unsure:

Sensual Attraction: The desire to touch in a non-sexual way. Cuddling, hugging, etc.

Romantic Attraction: The desire to be in a romantic relationship with the other person. Often starts with butterflies and nervousness.

Sexual Attraction: The desire to have sex or sexual contact with the other person.

...and while we're at it, here's Aesthetic Attraction: Appreciating the look/physique/beauty of another person.

All definitions adapted from AVEN wiki, there's a little bit of overlap between attraction and desire but I don't think it serves the purpose to be nit-picky here. Sometimes it's hard to differentiate between them... people can and do experience all four at once, or any combination of them.

demi-sapio-hetero!

Archived