Supporting an asexual

HardlyAverage

HardlyAverage

A good friend of mine is beginning to come out as ace. Our uni friendship group is very accepting of any and all sexual or gender minorities, so she has a supportive network. However, she's spending some time at her family home so she can work over the summer holidays. She's begun to try and explain how she feels to her parents, who have not reacted well. I've sent some resource links (almost all from here!) that could help her, and I wanted to know what else I could do.

So I wanted to ask people who know her situation better than I, what kind of support would you/did you want when coming out?

Thank you!

You're a very good friend! :)

Welcome to AVEN :cake:

Sadly noone can change someone's mind as fast as we'd like, but keep up the good work and, mostly, stay close to her. :)

I'm moving this thread from Asexual Q&A to For Sexual Partners, Friends and Allies forum.

I'm sexual and was actually confronted with the idea of finding out if my husband was asexual. So for me it was kind of backwards, I had the real life experience of being with an asexual, but no word for it until I found Aven and then of course wondered if this was truly how he identified. He does and showing him the information on the front page in the section About Asexuality was pretty much all the information either one of us needed. The way it's written there is really pretty accurate and from reading it...I 'got it'. I don't know how old your friend's parents are, but we are in our mid to late forties. Hope this helps a little.

Welcome to AVEN! :cake:

HappySpirit

I think the most important thing for me would be to have people around who genuinely want to understand even if they don't right away. Since her family doesn't she is lucky to have you.

Archived