WorldPride leaflets!

This is the leaflets that we were handing out at the march (and at the conference as well, actually). We had 10k :lol:

mj5ou8.png

(front)

28qd5h.png

(back)

I'll put a link to this thread in the Links and Resources Masterpost as well, I think these leaflets are just awesome. Thank you to bristrek and all the other people who worked on this!

"Non-Asexuals" pretty much ruined the leaflets for me.

Sorry, but I won't have anything to edit until Saturday!

"Non-Asexuals" pretty much ruined the leaflets for me.

Sorry, but I won't have anything to edit until Saturday!

Please feel free to open a thread to discuss why 'non-asexuals' wouldn't be correct in this (or any) situation.

I think, though, that this leaflet is a very good material for people who are interested in working in visibility and are looking for things to leave at university/other places.

Specifically, this was designed to be in A5 format.

Electric Barbarella

Oh, I have two of those with me here, haha. Leftovers, I guess. 8D

Why is "non-asexuals" a problem, though? The double-negative? :lol: Same thing as sexuals. *shrug* Besides, it shows our ace perspective better, doesn't it?

It was originally sexuals but I think there was some worry that people wouldn't understand what we meant by that and that we were calling them all horny people unable to control their sexual attraction/desire/something. And as they're the ones we were aiming this at we didn't want to accidentally insult them whilst confusing them. Basically. I think the vote ended up on the side of putting down non-asexuals though.

Sorry.

(I'm guessing because though demis and graces fall under the asexual umbrella it could be read so as to exclude them? Though I though the phrasing of the paragraph was clear enough that we weren't.)

If anybody wants the .pdf of this let me know.

"Same thing as sexuals".

Exactly. I mean, is it really necessary to sacrifice grammar for visibility?

Although "sexuals" is pretty much the same thing as "non-asexuals", as Bris said, we felt that given our target audience, we wanted to avoid... hmm... maybe a bit of an us vs them situation of indicating that sex was the defining feature of them or something? We know that the term "sexual" is common usage on AVEN and most of those to whom it applies appear to have no problem with it, but I do recall at least one instance where someone was unhappy about the term. Anyway, of the two, we decided to go with "non-asexual" as being both technically correct and having less opportunity for controversy?

Right. Except there's nothing grammatically wrong with double negatives. It's a matter of preferences.

Plus, it's only a double negative if you consider asexual still a grammatical negation. The fact that there's the prefix a-, which is a negation, doesn't mean that we shouldn't consider "asexual" as its own word now, instead of the result of putting sexual/sexuality is a negative way.

If you consider "asexual" as an acceptable term and not something still separated like "a-sexual", there's no double negative in the sentence. But as I said, I'd rather you start a new thread (or ask a mod to split this one) instead of derailing this one which is about leaflets.

"Same thing as sexuals".

I must be blind, or it might be this tiny phone screen, but where does it say "same thing as sexuals"?

"Same thing as sexuals".

I must be blind, or it might be this tiny phone screen, but where does it say "same thing as sexuals"?

It's in Bella's post.

"Same thing as sexuals".

It's in Bella's post.

Ooooh, I didn't realize it was a quotation of someone else's post. Haha. =P

Electric Barbarella

Yikes, I certainly don't want to derail any thread, haha. My p.o.v. was that using non-asexuals was totally fine, anyways. :lol: Don't wanna create any drama here, okay?!

I think Ithaca has a great point, btw. And so do Pandoren and bristrek.

The leaflets are great! Let's not twist the focus here, eh? ;)

I'm guessing this thread is just to provide a link to the existing resources, which are now done, so I know know if this counts as derailing but I did have an idea for the leaflets.

After DJ's talk about how discussions on Aven can give a new perspective on relationships and seeing the way people at the first pride avoided the leaflets I had the idea that it might be an idea to say things more relevant to sexuals rather than being just about asexuality. Things like "Did you know it's possible to be homo-romantic and hetero-sexual?" or "Ever feel like someone is more than a friend but not quite partner?" along with the "for more information visit asexuality.org".

Don't know if you want to try this at another pride event. Maybe even do a bit of science and see which gets more interest?

Given a large part of this is to increase visibility and awareness it'd.... if you did it as different leaflet that'd be interesting. Or if you changed these to A4 instead of A5 but there's no room on an A5 leaflet for it. You wouldn't believe the trouble we had trying to fit stuff in there whilst keeping it easily readable and not looking too much like a giant wall of text that was off putting.

Now in italian!!!!!!!! thanks to ojou-sama (AVENit member) who put the basic translation into a real thing and made it into a pretty damn good leaflet!!!!!! ^_^ :cake:

25gyxvt.jpg

16bd060.jpg

NB: Both the english and the italian leaflets have been added to the Links and Resources Masterpost in Site Info Center!

EDIT: Ugh! Apostrophe mistakes!!! T_T I'm gonna fix it, I'm gonna fix it!!! T_T

EDIT 2: Fixed!

And another italian version, in case someone doesn't like the previous font:

ffclms.jpg

a2breq.jpg

Edited by ithaca

I was pleasantly surprised when I first picked one up and read it! -- Great tekst, imo. Happy to hand those out to people. :cake:

I brought two to show people on the next dutch meeting. It can probably be example for future dutch leaflets. :)

• 10 years later...

(Below is an official, green, mod message.)

Hi, everyone. This event has finished.

So, it's being locked.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator