Redeye edtion- Chicago Tribune

KSpaz

Hey all....
I think today the Redeye Edition of the Chicago Tribune is running an article about the different forms of sexuality, and we're in there.
...I know because I was interviewed for it. cool.gif

Not being around Chicago, I don't really have a copy, so I'm not sure if I got it, or what was said, or if it was accurate, etc etc etc...

But if any Chicago locals pick one up, let us know how it went! I'm really curious!

2013 Mod Edit: The article is quoted in post #9, and can also be found here.

hilbertastronaut

Ooo, ooo, add me to the list of "would like to see article" people! i was interviewed too!

So I was coming home on the el in Chicago and saw someone reading a newspaper that contained the words "theasexuals" and "Sex? No thank you." I've lurked here for quite a while and knew that there was going to be an article in the "red eye," so I stopped and got a copy. The introductory article for the cover story on what they termed "sextremes", "Getting any? Or many?" is viewable on line. Just go to www.redeyechicago.com. There is then an article on asexuals and one on polyamorous. Katie is quoted, as are Mark and David Jay. While the introductory story does contain the line "Ultimately, humans like sex and use it as a way to bond, but compationship is crucial in relationships," overall the article on asexuals seems to be supportive of the idea of asexuality and outlines the some of the issues pretty well.

interesting point in the article:

Consider gay and lesbian sexual behavior in the '60s and '70s, Herdt said. Then, casual sex was encouraged and considered a badge of liberated values, while committed relationships were frowned upon.

Thirty years later? The gay community's top issue is striving for equality in marriage.

whatever the feminist movement has successfully decried these years- the gay community is all set to revel in exactly those patriarchal norms to prove they are nomal.

as an aside, i am personally in favor of stay-at-home men married to working men.

Katie is quoted, as are Mark and David Jay. While the introductory story does contain the line "Ultimately, humans like sex and use it as a way to bond, but compationship is crucial in relationships," overall the article on asexuals seems to be supportive of the idea of asexuality and outlines the some of the issues pretty well.

Yay! I got in!

Anyway...good to hear it was supportive. They don't really carry it around where I live, so I was kind of in suspense for what it said. (well, technically I still am, because I don't have a copy to read). But yeah, thanks for letting all of us know! I was hoping someone around here would locate a copy and give us such a report!

whatever the feminist movement has successfully decried these years- the gay community is all set to revel in exactly those patriarchal norms to prove they are nomal.

I dont know why homosexuals or bisexuals or asexuals are supposed to have less of a percentage of conservative ways of relationships. I dont think the type of a relationship is connected at all with the type of sexual preferences. Instead Im afraid worlds improvement in form of questioning the predominant sexual discourse including relationships is very gladly delegated to minorities, but why are those supposed to be responsible for it as everybody else is just as concerned and punished by rigid norms?

GO KATIE!

YOU RULE!

Three w00t's for Katie!

w00t w00t w00tie!

YEAH!

*turtle voice*

Awesome! :wink:

I just got a copy of Friday's Redeye. Since they did not have the whole article posted online I'll copy it here for anyone who is interested.

Here's the article on "The Asexuals" from the Redeye
(by Alison Neumer)

For years, Katie was confused by the culture's obsession with sex and just figured all high school girls felt that way.

But then her friends would refer to a guy on "The O.C." as "hot", and she had no idea what they meant. She'd say she had no interest in dating, and people just didn't get it.

Last summer, Katie, now 19, had her first boyfriend. the couple never had sex, but they did hook up.

"It's not that I didn't like it, it's that I didn't care," the University of Michigan sophomore said. "All our life we're raised to think kissing is such a wonderful event, and I thought it was boring."

Katie, who asked that her last name not be used, finally knew how she felt but couldn't put a name on it until last fall.

"When I first heard the term, I was petrified," she said. "I didn't realize that it was such a different idea that it would warrant a new sexuality."

Katie, like about 1 percent of the population, is asexual. She's never experienced sexual attraction to another person and doubts she ever will. She has no interest in sex.

"It doesn't disgust me. If it comes up in a conversation or a movie, I find it more humorous than anything else. I don't shudder, I just can't fathom doing it myself."

This is not a case of unnattractive, asocial people who can't get any, the asexual community is eager to point out. Some asexual people are in sexual realtionships, but they're just not that into it. Asexuality also is different from celibacy.

"Celibacy is a sacrifice, 'I choose not to have sex.' For me, not wanting to have sex isn't a sacrifice because I just don't want to do it," said Mark, a 25-year-old grad student from Western Illinois.

At first, sex repulsed him, Mark said, but now the hypersexual culture all around him just seems like a sad burden.

"If you go to the grocery store, at the checkout line you see nothing but pictures of half-naked women, and I really don't want to see half-naked women," said Mark, who also asked that his last name not be printed.

Being asexual doesn't exclude being physical entirely, said David Jay, 22, who founded the online Asexuality Visibility and Education Network (asexuality.org).

Some asexuals may choose to cuddle or hold hands. Some experience sexual arousal and may masturbate or have sex with a partner. Some identify as a "straight A," or find themselves drawn to the same or both genders. There's no strict definition of asexual behaviour, in part, because they view it as an orientation like being gay or staight.

That idea is difficult for the sexual cummunity to grasp, Jay said.
"People are used to assuming that you need sex and if you don't have it, somehow your life is incomplete ... But what is it about this one activity that makes is so you can't work without it? It's not like eating or drinking. It's not like my body won't function without it," he said.

Asexuals do pursue loving, close relationships--Katie, Mark and Jay all want children one day and a committed partner to help raise them--but they depend on means other than sex to communicate intimacy and love, or to differentiate friends from lovers.

"The world is set up to use sexuality to do a lot of things," Jay said. "If you're asexual, you don't have that language available, so you...find more direct ways to communicate."

I dont know why homosexuals or bisexuals or asexuals are supposed to have less of a percentage of conservative ways of relationships. I dont think the type of a relationship is connected at all with the type of sexual preferences. Instead Im afraid worlds improvement in form of questioning the predominant sexual discourse including relationships is very gladly delegated to minorities, but why are those supposed to be responsible for it as everybody else is just as concerned and punished by rigid norms?

its a perception, considering the dominant views of gay lifestyle. but when gay couples go out and actually raise families and behave like straight couples in their behavior, even sometimes rituals, they get more into the mainstram, so it does help the movement. win some, lose some.

VivreEstEsperer

Great article! Good for you:) so good to see that in print! thanks for posting it!

/wonders aloud/ wonder whatever happened to that nyt article...

Archived