Black rings and other ways to show asexual pride

I like the necklace.

The only problem with the purple triangle is that it's pretty simular to the pink triangle, and it would be kind of confusing.

Maybe we could get them to sell the white one's with the black gradient at the AVEN store

like this one :aven:

My mom would hate if I wore a shirt that said I was asexual. She seems to think that showing an orientation is wrong. I maybe able to get away with wearing one that did not say asexual on it but instead something more subtle.

I'd have trouble with a necklace (balding guy, usually wearing threadbare work clothes). Rings aren't allowed at work.

Can anybody imagine a little fisful of amoeba worn like a stuffed annmal on the backpack/messengerbag? - It should look cute enough to pass as almost usual. Can we have them made from silicone?

I'm not so sure about the purple triangle. After all, there's the whole Nazi concentration camp thing, there... and of all the queer groups, asexuals weren't really among the ones persecuted there.

So far I'm leaning most to the black ring on the middle finger of the left hand (suggesting "permanently single"). I very seldom wear jewelry, but I'd wear that (though I may have to wait until I come out to my parents so as not to cause suspicion before I'm ready). I'd still like to see a specific symbol decided upon. It gives people a lot more personal choice of where they're comfortable displaying this indication of their asexuality.

Would we consider a grey triangle?

marker.jpg

After all, it suggests that just as there are various hues of sexuality (gay, straight, bi), there are also various shades.

By the way, amusing to hear purple hair mentioned. A year ago I decided to get purple streaks in my hair (something I'd wanted to do for a while), and my mom's immediate response after I told her about this decision was "Does it represent something? Like your sexuality?" (My mom's always seemed to suspect that I might be gay, probably because I didn't show much interest in boys... but I didn't show much interest in girls, either!).

• 4 months later...
RomanceIsLost

Going back to the ring idea...after perusing this thread ages ago when I was just a lurker, I now wear a hematite ring on my right middle finger. Even if it's not an official symbol, I still think it's pretty and it means something to me. You can find hematite rings pretty easily on the Internet if you're comfortable with buying online: a lot of holistic/spiritual places sell them, as do places that generally sell crystals, crystal jewellery and magnetic jewellery. Just search on Google :)

• 4 weeks later...

I like the black ring idea...going to buy one next time I'm out. I did have another question though. What does the "deladragon" design symbolize?

Freed_Spirit

Got me t-shirts printed. AVEN website address on the back, "Eh?sexual" on the front of one and "asexy" on the front of the other. And boy! are they working. Girl in the coffee shop said to me "oh, you're not wearing your slogan T shirt today" and lots of people noticing them. A pride. Happy.

I really like the black ring idea. *Starts to run out to buy one, but alas, has no car and no money, and is trapped in a town where she knows no one.* Oh well. I'll get there eventually.

• Like 1
Puzzle_chick

I dig the black ring idea...and also the nut idea too. (Plus, the first thing I thought of with the hexagon was the slogan, "Hex, not sex!" ...I'm gonna go back into my box now.) However I'm really not much of a ring-wearer and tend to put rings on this necklace full of various charms. All the different charms have a meaning, but I keep them all on the same chain along with my class ring and a ring my dad bought me. SO. I'm gonna go buy a nut AND find a black ring of some sort to put on it asap. Then I'll be twice as asexied-up?

If anyone makes the button with the cake on it and offers it up for sale anywhere, let me know. Buttons are awesome. And it probably wouldn't be questioned much. Who doesn't love cake?

Oh, and Asaph, I just bought Wicked off Amazon and I am loving it so far. Your icon and sig made me want to mention that. xD

I really like the black ring idea, as well. I think I'll send out an order for some of those hematite rings ASAP.

I'd also jump all over those cake buttons. I was REALLY surprised to see there are no buttons in the AVEN store... :?

You mean aside from it getting posted in the paper?

yeah, alot of people I know read those article and have no clue what to make of it. or think somehow we are flawed

And..wearing a bracelet is going to take care of that?

Maybe it's because I'm adverse to being samie-samie with tons of people over something as personal as my sexuality. I have no means, really. Or want. Being 'proud' of being asexual is like being 'proud' of having tonsils. I still have them but I don't need a flag, badge, bracelet or t-shirt to announce that. I HAVE been in newspaper articles about asexuality, the people who are close to me 'get it' and have no problem. By the same token, if they wanted to interview 44 year olds who still have their tonsils I would do it, too.

You mean aside from it getting posted in the paper?

yeah, alot of people I know read those article and have no clue what to make of it. or think somehow we are flawed

And..wearing a bracelet is going to take care of that?

Maybe it's because I'm adverse to being samie-samie with tons of people over something as personal as my sexuality. I have no means, really. Or want. Being 'proud' of being asexual is like being 'proud' of having tonsils. I still have them but I don't need a flag, badge, bracelet or t-shirt to announce that. I HAVE been in newspaper articles about asexuality, the people who are close to me 'get it' and have no problem. By the same token, if they wanted to interview 44 year olds who still have their tonsils I would do it, too.

*shrug* A lot of people are proud of their sexuality because they feel that simply accepting it isn't enough. That's the whole idea behind, like, pride parades and such; to take pride in something that others may view as a flaw, just to show everyone that it's ok.

That's cool for them if the need is there. I just thought I would add in my own thoughts that I have no want to.

I just asked how a bracelet, ring, parade, t-shirt and such is going to assist people in knowing what to think of asexuality. I don't really care what people do. Perhaps someday it'll come to people telling me, "you can't be asexual, you're not wearing 'the ring'."

That's cool for them if the need is there. I just thought I would add in my own thoughts that I have no want to.

I just asked how a bracelet, ring, parade, t-shirt and such is going to assist people in knowing what to think of asexuality. I don't really care what people do. Perhaps someday it'll come to people telling me, "you can't be asexual, you're not wearing 'the ring'."

I certainly don't see that happening. It's not like people tell homosexuals "You can't be gay, you're not wearing the (insert one of many available symbols here)."

appassionata
I'd have trouble with a necklace (balding guy, usually wearing threadbare work clothes). Rings aren't allowed at work.

Can anybody imagine a little fisful of amoeba worn like a stuffed annmal on the backpack/messengerbag? - It should look cute enough to pass as almost usual. Can we have them made from silicone?

Love this idea! 8) I tried to search the net but only found some amoeba baby rattles :lol: http://www.babye.co.uk/pimages/942254311_th.jpg

Which got me wondering if it's not an asexual propaganda trying to influence little kids, when Tinky Winky carrying a purse apparently is a promotion of homosexuality according to some! :roll: :lol:

Sorry, don't want to hijack this thread but couldn't resist.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
QueenOfSwords

I'd be all over a cake button or pin - or a t-shirt!

Did someone from AVEN draw the original cake icon? Could it be blown up onto a shirt without losing too much resolution?

:cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake:

(Sorry, just love the cake)

QoS

I'd be all over a cake button or pin - or a t-shirt!

Did someone from AVEN draw the original cake icon? Could it be blown up onto a shirt without losing too much resolution?

:cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake:

(Sorry, just love the cake)

QoS

If anyone knows where the original :cake: image came from, even if it's not big enough to print, I could take care of cleaning it up. Yoinking a version of the small one we use on the boards would probably take a little more imagination, although I bet I could whip up a passable vector image...

[seriously, if anyone does know where the image came from or anything, PM me!]

If anyone knows where the original :cake: image came from, even if it's not big enough to print, I could take care of cleaning it up. Yoinking a version of the small one we use on the boards would probably take a little more imagination, although I bet I could whip up a passable vector image...

[seriously, if anyone does know where the image came from or anything, PM me!]

I doubt this helps, but here's the address to just the image on its own:

http://asexuality.org/discussion/images/smiles/cake.gif

I wonder, what about getting this image on a ring? It may look a little cheesy, but it'd still be awesome! :D

QueenOfSwords

I second on a ring. I'd actually really like it on a stud earring.

And on a shirt, for those of us that aren't 'out' at all. I would know, but no-one else will have a clue unless they are AVEN-ites (and I can't imagine many of those around where I live).

QoS

I'd like a way to show my asexuality without actually having people ask questions...

I think a badge or a ring would work, something that wouldn't catch the eye of anyone except the people who know what it means...

Like a secret sociaty!

And I do think a line of asexual or AVEN badges would go down quite well, I know I'd buy one!

cake.png

Blown up version of the original...

cakevector.png

Vector traced version.

I actually kind of like the bitmappy blown up one - it's kind of cute...

What about those little jelly bracelets (not the livestrong, the ones emo kids used to wear) in specific colors? My lesbian friend wears those in the queer rainbow colors is where I got the idea.

Personally, I've worn a hematite ring since I first read someone suggest it (I wore them anyway, but still... :D ) I've managed to chip a huge chunk out of my last one though and while I can still wear it like a cuff I worry that I'll really lose it. None of the stores in my area sell them any longer and because of our postal strike I don't want to order any just yet. :(

I also like the idea of a stud earring, actually. The AVEN cake wouldn't go very well with my bats admittedly but I think it'd be real cute! :cake:

QueenOfSwords
cake.png

Blown up version of the original...

cakevector.png

Vector traced version.

I actually kind of like the bitmappy blown up one - it's kind of cute...

This doesn't look as good blown up; does it? Although I'm still in favour of an earring I can wear around, and perhaps a pin or badge.

I'm about to purchase a black stainless steel ring for my right middle finger from Ebay; I find the haematite just doesn't work for me.

QoS.