Black rings and other ways to show asexual pride

How hard would it be to make a hexagonal-nut style ring that wasn't any more bulky than a regular ring?

Actually, there are nuts out there that are big enough to go on a finger but aren't very bulky. They are often used in plumbing where space can often be at a premium and the goal is simply joining the pipes securely, not making the bond strong enough to withstand external stress. . . .

virginangelic

i've went out and bought a black ring...okay so i've always wanted one so you guys gave me more excuse. No one is none the wiser. 8)

If the rings don't fir no more, make it into a pendant of sorts...

ilike the dog tag idea except i'm worried people might confuse it with gay becauseit's triangle. Why did they have to get the triangle first? :(

ilike the dog tag idea except i'm worried people might confuse it with gay becauseit's triangle. Why did they have to get the triangle first? :(

Those darn Nazis. Always causing trouble.

Pink triangles identified gays in Nazi concentration camps, etc, etc. Lesbians wore black ones. I did a project on this once but I forget it now.

honeyandthemoon

Hmm, I don't know if it's possible to find one single thing that we all agree on, but if some of us wear hematite, some of us wear hexagonal nuts, and some of us wear cake, we should still be able to pick each other out. I'll be wearing hematite. I had a cute idea for the cake though. It would be cool to blow up the cake picture a little and then put it on a 1" button/badge. Or even a 2", but I like the 1" better.

bard of aven
Actually, there are nuts out there that are big enough to go on a finger but aren't very bulky.

I'm probably having a Beavis and Butthead moment, rereading that.

For now, I'm sticking with my ineffable shirt.

boa

• Like 1

Hmm,

Thursday, AM. *Remembers there’s a few hematite rings in a bag in a cupboard, goes to find one*

Friday, AM. *Breaks it*

Well that didn’t take long even for me. :lol:

I like the idea of something like this though, it’s a good idea to have some discreet way of showing your pride. Or half a dozen discreet ways since there’s no way everyone will agree.

I like the idea of the black ring. A suggestion for those who do not like to wear rings: put it on a necklace?

So just to be clear, are we going with the ring, the nut and the cake?

I am sure there is some perverse joke in there somewhere...or a children's nursery rhyme. Either way..

Now...where to find a black ring. LOL

• Like 1
Silly Green Monkey

I've got an idea if I ever host a meetup, I can get black onyx donuts from Fire Mountain Gems and wrap them in purple thread.

Lemme know if anyone finds a ring size 12. I did some searches and cam up empty...sigh...

Also, this is a stupid question, but 'splain two things to me:

1) The Asexual symbol....why it is what it is and what it means

2) This whole "stealth" thing.

Me be confused.

Lemme know if anyone finds a ring size 12. I did some searches and cam up empty...sigh...

Also, this is a stupid question, but 'splain two things to me:

1) The Asexual symbol....why it is what it is and what it means

2) This whole "stealth" thing.

Me be confused.

Hematite rings in size 12 HERE! <-click.

The symbol represent the three basic orientaions. One corner represents Hetero, one represents Homo and the bottom one represents A.

Stealth symbols are for asexuals who want to be recognized by other asexuals but are not comfortable being "flaming" asexual.

Well great...now how do I get one from you?

But wait, I don't see how the corners represent hetero or homo. The upside down triangle was traditionally used for "deviants" in war camps (the pink being for gay) so that symbol was adopted for gay and lesbians. So I am not sure how the corners come into this and how the partially shaded part represents us.

Not trying to be an ass, just REALLY trying to figure it out.

Thanks again and in advance.

The Aven symbol is derived from a single line which was used to represent the spectrum from pure homosexuality to pure heterosexuality. All points in between the two extremes represented various degrees of bisexuality.

A second dimension was added to illustrate intensity of sexual attraction/desire/libido, etc. A triangle is the simplest shape which can illustrate two dimensions.

In its current configuration, any point located along the top edge of the triangle will represent those with extrememly high sex drives regardless of orientation, and those in the bottom area of the triangle will represent those with little or no sex drive or attraction. It is shaded to show where we are, and blended to show that people can be sexual, asexual, or any place in between, just as they can be gay, straight, or any possible combination.

Its resemblance to other triangle symbols wasn't intentional, but since asexuality is yet another minority sexual orientation I don't see that it is really such a problem. I think it is distinct enough to avoid confusion.

-Greybird

... The upside down triangle was traditionally used for "deviants" in war camps (the pink being for gay) so that symbol was adopted for gay and lesbians...

An inverted black triangle originates from Nazi Germany concentration camps where it was used to designate women considered anti-social (i.e., a threat to Nazi family values) such as lesbians and prostitutes.

An inverted black triangle originates from Nazi Germany concentration camps where it was used to designate women considered anti-social (i.e., a threat to Nazi family values) such as lesbians and prostitutes.

And the pink triangle was similarly used for gay men. Note that triangles were used for other inmates too, like political opponents (red triangle), repeating criminals (green), and Jehovah's witnesses (purple). The yellow star of David worn by jes in death camps was formed by two superimposed triangles (alternatively, one of the triangles could be red, pink, etc. if the prisoner was also a political enemy, gay, and so on).

About our symbol, I think we should ask DJ about this, but I doubt that the downwards facing triangle is just a coincidence. We can explain it however we want, but there could be several other ways of doing the same thing.

Just got my hematite rings (had to buy five of them) today and WOW they're shiny.

I found that wearing two is more comfortable for me than one, so I'm wearing two on one finger.

My dad says he'll take me to a jeweler sometime so I can find a ring. ^___^ <3 my dad.

(Hematite isn't too expensive, is it? I'm trying to decide what price range I should be looking for.)

Katrina Rix

First off - ari_meir, you are my new buddy. I love Cake.

Secondly, I wear lots of jewelry, but no hematite yet... Which is a shame, because it's a rock. Mmm, rocks. I'm one of the flaming asexuals, and I have every intention of wearing rocks.. And nuts.

OK, so I have my rings now (thanks to Jeremy Adams for the link). I'm confused, though -- did you all decide on the right middle finger for everybody, or right middle finger for males and left middle finger for females? :?

Live R Perfect
For those who are willing to spend a little more there is Black Zirconium.

Wow, I love this one:

z-01.jpg

'Tis a little out of my price range, though... ;)

honeyandthemoon

I can't believe it. Every store around here that used to carry hematite rings is either out of business or doesn't carry them anymore!

I would love a black zirconium ring. Those are really cool. Coincidentally, I work at a specialty metals plant and the metal that I deal the most with is zirconium. I asked one of the engineers if we make black zirconium and he had never heard of it, but when I described the rings, he kind of laughed and said that all you'd need to do is autoclave the metal long enough and it will turn black. (If you anodize it, it turns purple!) He couldn't believe it when I told him how much the rings cost!

I can't believe it. Every store around here that used to carry hematite rings is either out of business or doesn't carry them anymore!

I would love a black zirconium ring. Those are really cool. Coincidentally, I work at a specialty metals plant and the metal that I deal the most with is zirconium. I asked one of the engineers if we make black zirconium and he had never heard of it, but when I described the rings, he kind of laughed and said that all you'd need to do is autoclave the metal long enough and it will turn black. (If you anodize it, it turns purple!) He couldn't believe it when I told him how much the rings cost!

So. COuld he autoclave a couple of hundred of them for us? :roll:

So. COuld he autoclave a couple of hundred of them for us? :roll:

Hey, good idea

honeyandthemoon

Well, first we'd have to get regular zirconium rings, and I don't know how much those cost, or even if we could find them. I'm not sure regular zirconium is a common material for rings... it's more of a nuclear reactor type thing... :?