Dyslexia/Dyspraxia

Benjfcarter

1. 1. Do you have Dyslexia or dyspraxia?

• I have both.
    • I have neither
    • I don't know, but I think so
    • I don't know
    • I only have dyslexia
    • I only have dyspraxia
    • I have the symptoms of one or both, but for a different reason
  2. 2. Do you have another dys- type thing?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know
    • Yes, but it's folded into something else

This poll is closed to new votes

Benjfcarter

Someone at the Worldpride conference mentioned that it might be interesting to do a poll on how many of us have dyslexia or dyspraxia. So I thought what the hell, I could do that, it might be interesting. And a cursory search indicates that there hasn't been a poll on this since 2008. So... Poll!

For the record, I'm both, but primarily dyspraxic.

EDIT:

I added another question, and another option, to fit people with dysgraphia, dyscalculia, etc. Also for the record, I have all the symptoms of dysgraphia, but it's a result of my dyspraxia, rather than a separate thing).

I'm sure I don't have dyslexia, but I'm not sure whether I have dyspraxia or not.

The Great WTF

I actually have dyslexia and dysgraphia.

Glitter Spock

I put down "I don't know" because I have had at least one doctor tell me that he was pretty sure I had "some kind of apraxia" but I don't know if apraxias and dyspraxias can be comorbid with autism or if autism adequately accounts for it already.

Benjfcarter

I actually have dyslexia and dysgraphia.

Blast, forgot that dysgraphia existed. Hmmm...

I put down "I don't know" because I have had at least one doctor tell me that he was pretty sure I had "some kind of apraxia" but I don't know if apraxias and dyspraxias can be comorbid with autism or if autism adequately accounts for it already.

Apparently you technically can't have both autism and dys-, but if the dyspraxic symptoms are way stronger than what you'd expect from a particular level of autism, they diagnose both anyway.

evigmidnatt

my friends dyslexic, dyspraxic and dyscalculous. i'm as far as i know only have dyspraxia and these days its pretty mild.

but your right it is interesting to see how many astars have either

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Janus the Fox

Though not officially diagnosed dyslexia/dyspraxia, according to several separate online tests, I have strong indicators for both. Otherwise symptoms for both and other disorders are folded into Aspergers Syndrome. It can be an interesting topic to take to my psych into the new year. Again with, Alexithmia, dyslexia/dyspraxia probably does not need it's separate label beyond my Aspergers.

I was recently diagnosed with dysgraphia, but it is bundled into a more vague Learning Disability diagnosis. I am not dyslexic or dyspraxic, though.

I have dyscalculia, with a minor side of dyslexia, which I have worked through. The dyscalculia lingers though.

I have dyspraxia. Mildly, but strong enough to need help.

I have been semi-officialy diagnosed, though only enough to get help at schools and will probably have to pay for an official test.

And I have actually been involved in a study on the effects of Dyspraxia on adults!

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure I have dyslexia. Never been diagnosed.

No.

I have very mild dyscalculia though. I can't count in my head, not even the easiest thing... 15-7 I gotta use my fingers. But as long as I write things down and use a calculator I've got no major issues.

However, I have the gift of being able to complete Sudokus in my head, I don't even have to see it. I can just look at it in the local paper then go have a shower and complete it in my head while showering.

I have dyscalculia. I can't count too well, I still use my fingers to count stuff (also if i'm playing a board game i have to count each space - I can't just move 6 spaces ahead), I get muddled with my 7's, 8's and 11's, 12's times-tables and I cannot read an analog clock. I'm also rubbish with directions :lol:

I have a few symptoms of dyscalculia and possibly a few others though I believe they're rolled in with my autism and aspergers.

If I do have them then quite frankly I cant be bothered to be diagnosed. I have enough freaky qualities already.

At this rate I'll never get a job with all these mental-health issues, added to my general weirdness and inability to be normal they're more likely to call up an asylum than give me the job. ¬_¬... (I'm surprised it hasn't happened already actually.)

And that's all without mentioning my gender disphoria and asexyness.

• 6 months later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

Lady Girl, Moderator

Archived