New Book: Transformation Through Intimacy

osito

I recently came upon this page. It's an excerpt from a book titled Transformation Through Intimacy by Robert Augustus Masters, a psychotherapist.

http://integrallife.com/integral-post/bringing-sex-out-closet#break

Here's a snippet:

And there is so much that we expect sex to do for us! More often than we might like to admit, we assign it to stress release, security enhancement, spousal pacification, egoic gratification, pleasure production, and other such tasks. We may use it as a super sleeping pill, a rapid-action pick-me-up, an agent of consolation, a haven or hideout, a control tactic, a proof that were not that old or cold. We may also employ it as a psychological garbage disposal, a handy somatic terminal for discharging the energies of various unwanted states, like loneliness or rage or desperation. Mostly, though, we just tend to want sex to make us feel better, and we use it accordingly, whether in mundane, dark, or spiritual contexts.

In the past I and other avenites have posted similar views here, but this author has made these points far better than I have done. I'll admit to a tendency to cynically dismiss sex as a cheap stand-in for intimacy and friendship, but I know--not from personal experience, being asexual, but from the testimony of people I love and trust--that it can sometimes have great depth.

I am interested in your thoughts--particularly if any of you has read this book.

I haven't read the book, but it seems as though it's pretty accurate. The snippet was very interesting, it makes me want to read it. I think it's very true that we want sex to make us feel better...sometimes it does the trick and sometimes it doesn't.

Archived