"Tourist" plans for the 6th of July (Friday)

Electric Barbarella

Electric Barbarella

Hi y'all!

As we were discussing plans to do tourist-y things in another thread (too lazy to find its link, sorry), and I've received a pm about it, I thought I'd share one possible idea of what to do during the afternoon on Friday (July 6th), as I will arrive in London on that morning (and, of course, won't be available for anything during that period).

So, the suggestion I received from Carmilla DeWinter (and tankred?) was to visit the Sherlock Holmes Museum (which closes at 6pm), then later do one of the London Walks (starting at 7h30pm). We could all meet up for a late lunch (maybe? I'm sure I'll arrive pretty hungry and I don't know if I'll have time to eat before meeting everyone) and then make our way towards these destinations.

Actually, it's interesting to notice that the museum is fairly close to Baker street station, so we'd already be familiarized with the area and wouldn't get lost (if you are a foreigner like me) on the day of the Parade. :lol: And if google maps is not shitting me, we also have a Beatles store two or three stores down the museum, so, it'd be a nice place to stop by too, I think.

As for eating, there are some restaurants around (again, going by what google maps is telling me), so we could just meet there and decide on the spot where we want to eat, I suppose. (I saw a Pizza Hut and a Starbucks, so we have options too for the non-adventurous types, haha. Though I probably wouldn't mind stopping at the Starbucks...)

...and I just noticed not too far away from there (just turning the corner and going down Marylebone street) it's where Madame Tussauds is, so maybe it could be another place to visit? :P (We can decide as we go along too, if we have enough time to go to all these places. It depends on how long we stay in each one of them.)

For the London Walks that start at 7h30pm that day, we have the options of either "Haunted London" (from Monument station) or "Jack the Ripper Tour" (from Tower Hill station) [please this one? pleeeease?]. The walks last about 2h each, so we'd be done by 9h30pm, which isn't really that late. :) BTW, there are nice options for 7pm too, so if we can make it, they are another option (link for the curious ones; just slide the page down and change the date on the calendar).

tldr; (or summing it up): On Friday we meet at Baker street station at around 1h/1h30pm, have lunch (?), then make our way to the Sherlock Holmes museum (with possible stops at the Beatles store and Madam Tussauds?), then after that go for one of the London Walks.

Uhhh, I wish AVEN would let me tag people. >_<

So, whatcha guys think? ^_^

This sounds like a great idea. I won't be able to go myself but I know at least one other who wants to go to the Sherlock museum. I'll ask her about Friday!

The Sherlock museum would probably be lost on me, but I'll join you for the walk! And I can hang out afterwards, if you're not too tired.

Carmilla DeWinter

Yay. Baker St station, around 1 pm on Friday it shall be. There's five lines stopping there, so, according to wikipedia, it's a pretty big station.

How about meeting up at the Sherlock Holmes statue at the Marylebone Road exit? It should be an easy to find landmark.

Shortass Lady

Hello! I will be travelling during the day but I'm up for either of the 7.30pm walking tours during the evening.

A word of warning about Madame Tussauds from someone who's been there...when I was there it took 2 hours to queue to get in! So either leave a lot of time or abandon plans for going anywhere else as well!

Looking forward to meeting you guys, wherever it will be!

I'm in for the Museum and walks, I've been to Madame Toussad's before and like Shortass Lady said, it takes ages to get in and stuff, so I will probably give that bit a pass. But I'll be there from 1 on friday. So see you guys then.

Oh, great, my hostel is close to Baker St. =] Sounds good, I will meet you there!

Electric Barbarella

Yay, it's so nice to see people interested in this idea! It makes me even more excited about the trip to London! <3

This sounds like a great idea. I won't be able to go myself but I know at least one other who wants to go to the Sherlock museum. I'll ask her about Friday!

Aw, too bad you can't make it, micheald! :( But please let your friend know about the Museum. If she has some free time on Friday afternoon, she's definitely welcome to join us!

The Sherlock museum would probably be lost on me, but I'll join you for the walk! And I can hang out afterwards, if you're not too tired.

The walk it is! (Not too fond of the detective, eh? Hahaha.) And sure, I'd love to hang out later. ^_^

Yay. Baker St station, around 1 pm on Friday it shall be. There's five lines stopping there, so, according to wikipedia, it's a pretty big station.How about meeting up at the Sherlock Holmes statue at the Marylebone Road exit? It should be an easy to find landmark.

I'm glad you will join us! :) BTW, I checked the wikipedia article, and they mention that outside the Marylebone Road exit there's a large Sherlock Holmes statue so maybe we could meet there, instead? I think it'd be easier if we all stayed around the tube station in case someone gets a bit lost. (I'm pointing fingers in my own direction, here, haha.)

Hello! I will be travelling during the day but I'm up for either of the 7.30pm walking tours during the evening.A word of warning about Madame Tussauds from someone who's been there...when I was there it took 2 hours to queue to get in! So either leave a lot of time or abandon plans for going anywhere else as well!Looking forward to meeting you guys, wherever it will be!

I look forward to seeing you in the evening! And thanks for the warning about Madame Tussauds! :) Maybe it's something to do another day, then, especially as it will be a Friday, and usually the closer to the weekend it is the bigger the line becomes for tourist attractions, right?

I'm in for the Museum and walks, I've been to Madame Toussad's before and like Shortass Lady said, it takes ages to get in and stuff, so I will probably give that bit a pass. But I'll be there from 1 on friday. So see you guys then.

I'll be happy to see you there! :) And yeah, it seems Madame Tussauds could get crowded, so we might not do that (probably won't).

Oh, great, my hostel is close to Baker St. =] Sounds good, I will meet you there!

Definitely lucky, you are! ^_^ See you Friday then!

BTW, for those meeting around 1pm, are we doing lunch too or will you all have taken care of that by then? (I probably won't have time do to so before we meet, so even if we decided not to go for lunch, I hope you guys won't mind if I stop somewhere just to pick something up to eat on the way, haha.)

According to the Mayan calendar I will be hungry too by that time! :cake:

Btw; We should exchange a few phone numbers (right? :P) unless everyone has smartphones with wireless (I don't :P)

Carmilla DeWinter

So, 1 pm it is, and lunch around that time does sound good. Then museum, then probably not Mme Tussauds, then supper, and a 7:30 walk. Nice.

Shortass Lady

Do we have to book the walking tour in advance or can people just show up, does anyone know?

Carmilla DeWinter

The London Walk site says that you can just show up at the meeting place. (Would be Baker St station for the Ripper Walk).

Okay cool. I'll see you then.

Also for those of you going on the Ripper walk, I will give you a heads up that a lot of the tour is just looking at alley ways, and/or looking at buildings that replaced the building that the events happened at. Not super exciting. I had a friend who did it and got disappointed. Not sure what she expected (to get attacked or something?) but just so you know.

Electric Barbarella

According to the Mayan calendar I will be hungry too by that time! :cake: Btw; We should exchange a few phone numbers (right? :P) unless everyone has smartphones with wireless (I don't :P)

Oh, good! So we can have lunch together, then, yay! Yes, the idea of exchanging phone numbers is good too. I already have those of Carmilla De Winter and Shortass Lady. If you anyone else wants to, they change send me their numbers through PM and I'll give you mine as well. ^_^ (A reminder that my number is from Italy, so, getting in touch with me might be a little more expensive, haha.)

So, 1 pm it is, and lunch around that time does sound good. Then museum, then probably not Mme Tussauds, then supper, and a 7:30 walk. Nice.

Yup! Maybe after the museum we can visit the Beatles shop? It's right by it. :)

Do we have to book the walking tour in advance or can people just show up, does anyone know?

As Carmilla said, we just show up at the right tube station and find the guide. No need for booking. :3

The London Walk site says that you can just show up at the meeting place. (Would be Baker St station for the Ripper Walk).

Actually, for the Ripper Walk, the site says it's Tower Hill station. So we'd have to move from Baker Street to there.

Okay cool. I'll see you then.Also for those of you going on the Ripper walk, I will give you a heads up that a lot of the tour is just looking at alley ways, and/or looking at buildings that replaced the building that the events happened at. Not super exciting. I had a friend who did it and got disappointed. Not sure what she expected (to get attacked or something?) but just so you know.

Would you say maybe we should plan to go to a different walk, maybe? There are more options for 7pm: "The Along the Thames Pub" walk and the "Old Knightsbridge Village Pub" walk. If anyone prefers either of those, make some noise! :) I'm still interested in the Jack the Ripper walk (a friend of mine went to it and said it was cool, haha), but I'm game to going elsewhere.

"The Along the Thames Pub" walk

That one sounds good to me! I like (almost) anything that's along the Thames. (Although if we see good pubs, there won't be much time left to patronize them... :( )

If people want to hear something really gory, I can tell the stories of torture that I learned in Edinburgh. :ph34r:

I like dark alleys though. Not an asexual predator, I promise. 8)

Carmilla DeWinter

Hum, sorry folks, typo, what with all the Baker Street meetups going on. Tower Hill is for Jack the Ripper, Monument Station for Haunted London.

See some of you tomorrow evening! (got up today at 3 am GMT and am knackered)

Just as a warning, bring waterproof clothes...especially if you're going on a walk, its been raining so much here

Electric Barbarella
"The Along the Thames Pub" walk
That one sounds good to me! I like (almost) anything that's along the Thames. (Although if we see good pubs, there won't be much time left to patronize them... :( )If people want to hear something really gory, I can tell the stories of torture that I learned in Edinburgh. :ph34r: I like dark alleys though. Not an asexual predator, I promise. 8)

I like the idea of walking along the Thames too, and if we like a pub, we can always come back to it another day, yeah? :) But let's wait and see if others have anything to add to this idea.

Hum, sorry folks, typo, what with all the Baker Street meetups going on. Tower Hill is for Jack the Ripper, Monument Station for Haunted London.See some of you tomorrow evening! (got up today at 3 am GMT and am knackered)

Hey, no worries. It was an honest mistake. ^_^

Just as a warning, bring waterproof clothes...especially if you're going on a walk, its been raining so much here

Thanks for the warning! I've hear it's beyond wet over there right now. I gotta buy myself a rain coat asap, haha, because as of now I only have a small-ish umbrella.

BTW, everyone, I recalculate my time of arrival and how long it will take me to get to the hotel and everything, and I don't think I can make it to 1pm. Would it be okay if we met at 2pm, instead? I'm really sorry for doing this, but I wouldn't want anyone to wait for me in vain. That'd make me really upset. =/ And anyways, as we're only going to the Museum (and maybe the Beatles shop) before the Walk, I think we'd still have plenty of time to enjoy yourselves, even with this minor inconvenience, right?

Shortass Lady

I definitely wouldn't be able to make it to the 7pm walk, but then the 7.30pm one will be tight for me to make as well, so I don't want to suggest everyone go on the 7.30pm one and then me not get there in time anyway!

If most of you would rather do the 7pm one that's cool and I could just meet you later if you go to a pub afterwards. If you want to go to the 7.30pm one anyway I'll try to get there in time but if I don't get there well my loss and again I can meet you when it finishes!

So yeah just let me know which is you guys' preferred option and I'll work around it!

Electric Barbarella

If the 7h30pm Walk is more convenient for everyone, we can do that - definitely. The Jack the Ripper tour was the one I originally though of experiencing, anyway, so I'm totally okay with choosing it. ^_^

And for those meeting for lunch & museum, please don't go anywhere without me!! I'll do my best to arrive there as early as possible. :) (Probably around 1h30pm, okay? I'll wait for everyone in front of the Sherlock Holmes statue in front of the Marylebone Street tube exit).

If the 7h30pm Walk is more convenient for everyone, we can do that - definitely. The Jack the Ripper tour was the one I originally though of experiencing, anyway, so I'm totally okay with choosing it. ^_^

And for those meeting for lunch & museum, please don't go anywhere without me!! I'll do my best to arrive there as early as possible. :) (Probably around 1h30pm, okay? I'll wait for everyone in front of the Sherlock Holmes statue in front of the Marylebone Street tube exit).

Ok, cool. So I'll see y'all for the tour at Tower Hill.

Well, I found the tour, but didn't see anyone that I recognized. Hopefully we'll meet tomorrow. :)

Electric Barbarella

Well, I found the tour, but didn't see anyone that I recognized. Hopefully we'll meet tomorrow. :)

Ily! We are so, so sorry we couldn't meet you! We had a problem with the tube line and it made us very much late for the Walk. D: D: D: I'm so upset it happened like this! We tried to get in touch with you online, but when we saw the message that you left here, we knew it was too late to warn you about our issue. I'm really sorry we left you hanging like that! We went to Tower Hill station to see if by chance you had waited there, but we knew you wouldn't be there anymore! =/

I hope you enjoyed the Walk, though! And yes, definitely we'll meet tomorrow.

Ily! We are so, so sorry we couldn't meet you! We had a problem with the tube line and it made us very much late for the Walk. D: D: D: I'm so upset it happened like this! We tried to get in touch with you online, but when we saw the message that you left here, we knew it was too late to warn you about our issue. I'm really sorry we left you hanging like that! We went to Tower Hill station to see if by chance you had waited there, but we knew you wouldn't be there anymore! =/

I hope you enjoyed the Walk, though! And yes, definitely we'll meet tomorrow.

No worries, it happens. 8) Next time I'm getting a phone though!

Oh man, but the part of the meet up I did manage to go to was absolutely amazing! ^_^

Electric Barbarella

No worries, it happens. 8) Next time I'm getting a phone though!

Yes! A phone would be of great help, Ily! XD

Oh man, but the part of the meet up I did manage to go to was absolutely amazing! ^_^

It was~ I'm glad we all had a good time, even though the Sherlock Museum was a bit disappointing and the rain kept making us hide, haha.

• 10 years later...

(Below is an official, green, mod message.)

Hi, everyone. This event has finished.

So, it's being locked.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator