Ace pride? Is there's a point to it?

R_1

Do you actually see a point into ace pride?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How do you feel about it?

• I am prideful!
    • It's something that I can do to raise awareness.
    • I don't actually give a (bleep)
    • Why do we even bother having ace pride in the first place?
  2. 2. How do you get by with your aceness?

• I wish I am accepted.
    • I get by sometimes and sometimes I do not
    • Bah! My asexuality isn't anyone's else business. Couldn't careless about pretending if needed.
    • I am totally accepted.
  3. 3. How long did you had this stance?

• Just recently to less than 1 year
    • 1-2 years
    • 2+ to 4 years
    • 4+ to 6 years
    • 6+ years

This poll is closed to new votes

Nameless123

I'm on board with the whole awareness thing, but I don't see how anyone can be proud of their sexual orientation. It's something I was born with, not something I've accomplished. So, yeah, I'd like people to know what asexuality is and for them to fully accept it as a valid orientation, but that's about it.

I'm proud of who I am ... as in I'm not ashamed. But I don't wear it on my sleeve, and I'm not in anybody's face. What I don't do behind closed doors is nobody's business.

What I don't do behind closed doors is nobody's business.

LOL :lol:

I'm not sure if "pride" is the right word, but I am all for visibility and acceptance. It would be great to live in a world where the general public at least understands what asexuality is.

i also feel that 'pride' is a poor choice of word.

'Awareness' and 'Acceptance' all the way

Why should I be proud of my sexual orientation? it's just how I am, not something I have conquered :)

Great Thief Yatagarasu

I'd like to say I'm proud...but it's hard coming out to people as demisexual, it really is. I do my best, but it's still something I need to work on.

Janus the Fox

Meh... I'm never taken seriously either way as asexual or bisexual. Still I like to do something to raise more awareness of both of these, this place I call home is so backwards :wacko:

Other than that, the answers seem a little restrictive. Then again I haven't been here long enough to comment further.

I've always had a love hate relationship with pride, but I do see a big reason for it.

On the one hand, I used to approach prideful things in the George Carlin manner of things. There's no point in being proud of things you can't control. I have blue eyes, I'm not proud of having blue eyes. It's not like I've achieved anything special by having blue eyes, except for maybe finding my eyes to be one of my better features. He also goes on a rant about why it's silly to be prideful about being Irish. I agree with him, but I'm proud of my Irish heritage. Not for any particular reason, It's just a trait I like point out.

Being ace is slightly different than being Irish though, even if I might have been born both. I've never come out to someone as Irish and had them tell me that there must be something wrong with me. I've never had someone approach me for my blue eyes and tell me that they're just not brown yet. The reason I think ace pride is important is because I don't want another teenage asexual to grow up thinking they're "wrong" or "broken" or they just need to be "fixed."

That's the kind of pride I want, the one where people are okay with who they are, regardless of what people might tell them. I'm not saying I need to march in a parade, and I don't need the flag plastered all over my clothing, and usually I keep it on the down low. I just want to be able to say "I'm ace and my life is pretty damn awesome" without people suggesting how much happier I'd be if I had sex or suggesting my lack of sexual attraction will somehow relegate me to forever alone status.

'I wish I am accepted'. That should really be, 'I wish I were accepted'. And How long did you had this stance should be how long did you have this stance?

Anyway, I totally agree with hearts.

I am going to the Pride mainly to have fun, meet people, socialize etc... Not with the purpose of showing the entire World that I am asexual.

As we live in a egocentric World where the vast majority of the people live their own lives, in other words nobody really cares what is your sexual orientation and all this labels.

Sophiatrist

I guess maybe perhaps it is because I am from a different generation than most of the folks here, but I have to confess that when it comes to asexuality I am a bit confused when it comes to ideas like Pride and coming out. Back in the day we simply just were.

That being said I will be going to the local Pride event (it is not until August). I work at an HIV/AIDS service organization and the local Pride people donate a lot of time and money to us. So we go to Pride and volunteer to sell beer and wine for them. So look for me by the beer truck :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
evigmidnatt

if i lived somewhere like Cardiff, Manchester or London, somewhere people gave a crap what happens maybe i'd feel different. but where i'm from all pride is, is a chance for people to get pissed and to pretend their on equal footing while avioding anyone whose too "happy"

I asked a man at Leeds pride last year if he was holding an Astar flag and got what i think was his attempt at tearing me apart for thinking "people creating a new fad" deserved a flag,

my and my friends are talking about having a Astar flag made and marching around our different Prides singing something like the Castiel song or something

• 1 month later...

I've been looking for my black ring, but I haven't found one that "fits" my hand/finger. Like it looks weird to me, but that may be just because I don't normally wear rings.

As for Ace pride, it's not that I'm "proud" of it, it's that I'm not ashamed of it. I'm proud I have discovered myself.

I just wish it was accepted as an orientation and not taken as a joke. And that people don't "assume" anything about another person's orientation and that they don't mock or joke about it.

• 1 month later...

Not sure how to vote on any of these!

I do see a point to "pride"- to people being visible. I just don't intend to do it myself.

With aceness- I bring it up when I feel the need, sometimes. I generally don't. I kind of wish that people knew it was a possibility (and acted like they knew it) but I don't see it as a big deal.

WhenSummersGone

I think there's a point. Like someone above said I think awareness and acceptance are most important. I would like to see asexuality be taken more seriously so people will understand, especially doctor's in my experience <_<

I understand how some people are proud about their sexuality, although I'm probably not one of those people xDD. I prefer to just sit in a corner and be quiet about the whole thing ^^;

I'm proud,and when wearing my Black ring and AVEN merch.I have had people ask me what it's all about.So I tell them and I like to think that doing so spreads a little bit of awareness and educates people.

I've never been proud of anything in my life,borderline disgusted infact,but I'm Asexual and finding that out about myself,gave me a second chance at life.

So I grabbed it.

It's tough to pull yourself off of the ground and turn your life around.AVEN,my Aceness helped me to do so.Damn right I'm proud :cake:

I am proud of finding myself but I think I am happier using my life struggles and experiences helping others and spreading awareness.

I agree with a lot of the posts above.

People tend to overuse the word proud. They are proud to be a woman, proud to be black, and its like.. for what you haven't accomplished anything.you were born the way you are and you had nothing to do with it.

>.> its ridiculous

I believe someone said something earlier to the same effect, but asexual pride in my eyes is less of pride as a "look at how I'm special" and more of an opposite of shame.

I'd like to say that I am proud to be asexual; proud to be immune to the influences of sexual attraction, to be strong enough to 'overcome' those desires and become superior in some way, but that's not true. I didn't have to work to become immune, I didn't struggle or strive to "overcome" those desires (when they weren't even there): it's just the way I am. To me, I used to see sexual people as "those people", the people who love and worship sex, who obsess over it want to have everything to do with it, but that's not true either. They didn't choose to be like that, to want to engage in activities that I find 'digusting'; it's just part of who they are. Just like how being asexual is part of who I am. So when I say that I'm proud to be asexual, I don't really see the point. I want to be proud to be asexual, but it's not as if we overcame something in order to be this way--it's just who we are. I can say that I'm proud to be unique, to be who I am, but that's a whole different issue.

I still think it's important for people to understand us, and who we are; I just don't think we should be running around saying, "I'm proud to be asexual even though I had no control over being this way!" Sorry if I offended you with my rant, but that's what I think. Cake, anyone? :cake:

With all the anxiety and self-esteem issues I've had and still deal with, it's nice to have something that I can't change about myself that I can actually stand up for. Being a strong Christian, I am proud that I can stay a virgin until marriage. Because of this, I have found my own strength in telling the guys in my relationships "no" to sex. No matter how much they beg, I just tell them if they really want it that badly they can get it with another sexual girl. I just, for once, have something to make me feel like a strong person.

And this has all lead to me wanting to bring this sense of strength and pride to other people who still haven't figured out they're asexual. It's a nice little cycle of paying it forward.

• 3 weeks later...

It's something that needs awareness.

Many people (at school) assume that you are either straight, lesbian, or gay. Nothing else. So if I'm a girl who doesn't like boys, then I'm a lesbian. Not that there's anything wrong with that because there isn't, but it automatically turns people away it seems. A lot of girls have the impression that lesbians will be "looking at them in the locker room" and such. Even though I should just "screw those people," it's still not fun to get that impression. So I believe asexuality awareness needs to happen because people need to know that some people just aren't attracted to anyone!

Also, some people have told me that asexuality is a disease, isn't real, or I get "wtf" looks like asexual reproduction is the only asexuality that exists, lol.

Ace pride, I guess I get it for other people, but I don't really think it will be recognized widely for a long period of time. However, I don't tell people I am ace, and I don't really care what they'd think anyways. I wouldn't participate in the world-awareness things, just because it doesn't matter to me. We such a small percentage anyways.

• 3 months later...
robin-girl-wonder

I really don't like the term "pride" when referring to one's sexual orientation. I am most certainly not ashamed of my sexual orientation, and I am very open about it. However, in my opinion, being proud of my sexual orientation would be like being proud of my shoe size - it's nothing that I did, it's just how I am. I believe pride is something that should be felt for accomplishments, not things you were born with.

• 1 month later...
The Muse~

I understand the concept of not being proud of something you just are born with, but... I am proud of my artistic abilities, which are something I was born with. I'm proud of my voice, again, something I just had since birth.

And I know people who are proud of their sexuality.

I just wish I could be of mine.
I use pride, and attending pride events, to try and raise awareness of Aces and Demis and Grey-As.
Especially because, for a long time, I thought I was just broken or, as I often found myself repeating, "Built Wrong."

And even after I figured out it was a legitimate sexuality, trouble never stopped.

I literally get one of very limited responses every single time I come out to someone:

LGBT groups: Are you sure you're not confused/a lesbian?
Cis, straight women: You just haven't met the right man or That's just being smart.
Cis, straight men: One night/ten minutes with me, and you'll be begging for it.

Believe me. I have a sporadic eidetic memory. I keep track.

And the last one is especially awful because I'm really, really short compared to most people. Almost every guy I've met -- and definitely every one who's said that -- is a good 6 inches to a foot taller than me.

Am I proud to be in the Ace spectrum? I wish.
Do I think we need pride, if only for visibility and education and awareness? Absolutely.

• 1 month later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

Lady Girl, Moderator

Archived