Pap smears and other gynaecological concerns

Iamala

Tabula Rasa

I tried to have a pap smear many years ago, but the doctor didn't proceed because I was so nervous that my vagina rejected the speculum. I ended up with a yeast infection afterwards because of the trauma. I'm still a virgin too.

My question is: With all the medical and technological advances out there, why are gynos still using a speculum?! And can't they apply some kind of local anesthetic before the test?

Also, as CBC.Radio.Girl said - (sorry, I can't be bothered to go back and insert a quote) - PAP tests do NOT feel anything like sex! ...[POSSIBLE TMI WARNING]: I think the reason the test hurt for me was because the speculum they used was HUGE - far bigger than any penis I've ever encountered... :wacko:

Good gawd, this. [*crosses legs protectively*]

As for the sex of your doctor, well, I had a woman last time and it was like being murdered.

A PAP Test/Smear, or its valid alternative is an important part of preventative medicine, as "Midnight Lady" pointed out. In the early 1970s, one, with an affirmative second-opinion, saved me from a severe bout with cancer. They indicated that surgery was necessary, which I underwent; and it quite possibly saved my life.

I just learned, from this Topic, that being a virgin makes a difference in the necessity for having a PAP Test done. That was not my case in the '70s, but I would make certain that my OB/GYN was agreeable with this mode of thought.

Please, those of us who have 'lady parts' need to see to our medical needs. Certain things may be uncomfortable, but they truly are necessary!

Another lost one

A HUGE FRIGGIN NOTE FOR THE INACTIVE ACES HERE

Pap smears ONLY test for cervical cancer, something that is widely considered solely caused by human papilloma virus, which you can ony get through sexual activity. Don't let yourself be bullied into it.

And the lady at planned parenthood told me this.

I've had a couple, and I really didn't find them to be that bad. I had a woman do it, which I think helps. I think she also used some sort of numbing agent, so I really didn't feel much.

It's like getting your throat swabbed for strep. It hurts a bit and you can feel the swab, but then it's done and you wait for the test results to come back.

I think the main issue I had was with having to be partially undressed in front of someone, because I am really uncomfortable with my own body. But, as I recall, there was like one of those big sheet things to cover my legs, and I mean it's routine, so whoever does it has seen and will see many more. My doctor also checked my breasts for lumps and pressed on my abdomen to check for pain, but she did things in waves, so I wasn't fully undressed at any given time.

I think it really just depends on the doctor, and if you don't like the first one, you can look for someone new to hopefully do a better job, next time.

What's important is that you're healthy. Colonoscopies are awful in terms of the preparation, and someone sticks a camera up your rear, so it's not something I would want them to see, but I would rather know that my insides are healthy, than hide from the eyes and hands and instruments of doctors who chose their line of work for a reason.

It's interesting to hear what everyone is saying. I'm surprised people are more uncomfortable with showing their bodies vs. having something HUGER (than we'd probably all like) shoved up there. Possible TMI, sorry.

But I agree. I think if you're a virgin, you should be able to have just the qtip test. I wouldn't go as far as not having the test at all because like runestar said, we all need to take care of our bodies.

Too bad the test just sucks though.

I've had Pap tests that hurt, and others that were only mildly uncomfortable. My current gynecologist knows I'm a virgin and uses a small speculum. She's also the one who told me I only needed to submit to the Pap test portion of the exam every 3 years. She suggests taking ibuprofen or other OTC pain reliever 30 minutes before the appointment to prevent any pain. Also, the more you relax, the easier it is (I know, not as easy as it sounds). Try requesting the doctor (or nurse) use a small, or junior, speculum, if they haven't already thought of it.

No offense against men here, I try not to generalize, but male gynecologists have a tendency not to be as gentle, perhaps? They don't have the personal experience because they don't have the anatomy. (not saying a male doctor can't be sensitive to these things, I've just never met one who was) My worst experience was with a male gynecologist who not only made for a somewhat painful experience, but then actually laughed at me when I asked about treating my PMS -- while in the stirrups. His nurse looked at me like she was embarrassed to be associated with him. I transferred my care to someone else after that.

Whether you get the test done or not is a personal choice, but keep in mind it is a cancer screening test. It also catches other infections and problems, as well. I know the chances of getting cervical cancer are really small if you've never had sex, but not zero. If you refuse the Pap altogether, please, please, please at least consider getting the rest of the exam anyway. The breast exam is only mildly invasive (personal-space wise, but not painful in the least) and a bi-manual exam (there are fingers going places, but it's not that speculum, so it's not that bad) are going to detect other problems that have nothing to do with whether or not you've had sex. Including breast cancer.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone -- not my intention. I just feel really strongly about women taking charge of their own health. (I am equally adamant about men getting prostate exams too, if that makes anyone feel any better.)

The breast exam isn't bad, but you must've forgotten about the rectal exam (I don't know how you would) but those are even worse! At least vaginas are MEANT to have things inserted into them. The rectal exam is what had me bent over.

But I don't know. Maybe you already addressed it as the "fingers going in places" part. HAHA.

I've had one. It took three visits to the gyn before she successfully got a specimen to test. It reduced me to a crying idiot every time, and a lot longer than five minutes to recover from - but for me it's reminiscent of past abuse. I even had the medical assistant/nurse so concerned for me, she held my hand. And the doctor told me that she had to use a pediatric speculum and to make sure if I ever had to have one again to tell any doctor I went to that fact.

So, afraid I'm not much help. -_-

A HUGE FRIGGIN NOTE FOR THE INACTIVE ACES HERE

Pap smears ONLY test for cervical cancer, something that is widely considered solely caused by human papilloma virus, which you can ony get through sexual activity. Don't let yourself be bullied into it.

And the lady at planned parenthood told me this.

It's mostly caused by HPV, but you can develop cervical cancer even without having sex. Although pap smears every year is far more often then needed (and the medical community has finally admitted that).

The Ice Queen

I personally find Pap tests painful; I can't relax enough. I know I have a worse time with it than most of my friends, but that may or may not be related to my asexuality. I can often talk my OB-GYN out of them though, since she knows I'm not sexually active, plus I've had the HPV vaccine. Unfortunately I can't wheedle my way out of it this year, as I have to have a full physical for a job I'm applying for.

I have only had one...and hated it. Luckily the doctor agreed to perform to do it under anesthesia, but after I was in extreme pain. I swear I will never have another one.

If I must do it, which I will fight for never, then it will be under anesthesia.

Moving this thread from Asexual Q&A to Asexual Musings and Rantings.

I have only had one...and hated it. Luckily the doctor agreed to perform to do it under anesthesia, but after I was in extreme pain. I swear I will never have another one.

If I must do it, which I will fight for never, then it will be under anesthesia.

yes, if my doctor forces me to do it, ONLY with anesthesia, cause I do not want to be awake when things are going into my butt or vagina...

Actually about the gynocologist, I have many problems with my period, and want it checked out. But they always ask me if I am a virgin, say yes, and then they refuse to do anything and I pay them without even a proper examination. It is so frustrating.

chelseagirl84

I have had pap tests, most of them by order of the Army and on their dime. I didn't like them for one minute. It had to do with "female health readiness". The only way to get out of it is to not have a uterus (in other words, get a hysterectomy, and I don't think I'm willing to do anything THAT drastic). Fortunately, I've had a female doctor every time, and every time she has been very good, very professional.

You do not know pain until you've had a transvaginal ultrasound. It's like a broom handle and they move it around like they're steering a boat. I have had to have two because of gyno problems and I cried and hurt for three days after the fact.

I get pap smears every couple of years and it's always awful. It comes down to how relaxed you can be, but if you aren't used to "relaxing" those muscles, it's nearly impossible! I once had a doctor give up mid-exam.

Ha! Sorry for the TMI.

I've never had one. It's one of those "do I have to?" things I've never asked an actual doctor about. I sort of figured I'd go see a gynecologist when I'd expect to start having sex, but that time still hasn't come, and after a while I just forgot about it. And now I'm kinda embarassed about being 27 and pretty clueless about any of it. I know doctors see all kinds of people and I shouldn't worry about it, but... I'm also not very excited about the idea of someone poking me down there.

My very first pap test? I was under anaesthetic for a laproscopy.

Because of my family history and gender specific cancers being rampent on my maternal side (grrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!) I have to get that test done every year. I've been a bad girl and skipped a few years.... oopsie.

The way I see it, no abnormalities I learned about in my college health care course, so I skipped a few years, whoopty doo.... tell ya this much, I am going to HATE going for one in 2 weeks or so. And this time, I have no Dad to hug and comfort me afterwards. Bah!!!

BookwormKaoru

I've never had a pap test but I had some sort of alternative where they took some fluids out with what felt like an oversized medice squirter (like for babies) because I having pains and they wanted to see if I had some sort of infection.

And then I had to get an ultrasound and a vaginal ultra sound to check for cysts or abnormalties that may be causing the pains... The vaginal ultra sound didn't hurt at all. O_O I was mildly uncomfortable though because I really had to pee. (They made me drink a huge thing of water before my regular ultrasound because my bladder had to be full and even though I went to the bathroom between them my bladder still filled up pretty fast once the vaginal ultrasound got started.) But I didn't really hurt or anything afterwards or during. Just my urine problem...

Maybe I just have a higher pain tolerance than most people though... That's possible. I think I've been told that before...

Ultrasounds never hurt, so pain tolerance has nothing to do with it. They make use of sound waves, much like a bat's echolocation (hence the name). And since it's not very loud (you can't hear it, after all) it doesn't cause any pain. You need a full bladder because it helps make the pictures clearer. It's to do with the way the sound travels through the water.

• 2 weeks later...

So I had to go to the dr's today so his nurse could do that one lovely annual test that is at the very top of everyone's favourite list (I'm being massively sarcastic when I say that about this proceedure).

Well, I have a few lady issues. I thought it was well controlled with the medication I take for it, but this time, it wasn't just uncomfortable to have the test done, it actually hurt. And I mean it hurt bad. I didn't cry, flinch, or anything when I got inked, I even asked the artist at a few points if he was admiring my back or actually doing something with the needle back there. Just didn't feel anything.

However, I cried today during the test. The nurse practitioner changed the medication and said if I keep having issues she'll send me for an ultrasound. Okay, great.

I told my cousin that and she goes, "how long has it been since you had sex? Over a year? you need to get laid, that's the problem."

Hmmm, yes I'm sure my woman's health issues can be resolved with sex and having something larger than a few fingers up there is going to solve the problem... either that or make me throw up in pain :rolleyes:

No real point to this, I just found her remark when I told her why I'd been crying amusing.

You are a trooper. I can tell you that. I have an acute fear or all doctors except for dentists.

Oh, man. Just what was needed to 'improve' that wonderful annual experience, I'm sure. Way to go for getting through it anyway! (and annually! I know it's supposed to be but heck if I can dredge up the moxie to do it myself.)

Yeah. . . Sex is totally the answer to anything in that range of problems. :rolleyes: Sounds like advice my sister would agree with. I hope that your new medication will sort everything out without need for any further ordeals of the sort.

Last time I went in for my own it hurt badly enough my throat locked up and I couldn't stop myself from literally whining. My doctor told me I have 'abnormally strong musculature', and that it might complicate things when I decided to become sexually active. That was before I had even really discovered the asexuality spectrum - and my cozy space in it - and I could still tell him 'yeah, not looking to be a problem for me, thanks'. Makes anticipating future exams even more fun, though.

This thread has been renamed from 'Odd topic but- dealing with doctors and asexuality' to 'Pap smears and other gynaecological concerns'.

Qutenkuddly,

Asexual Musings and Rantings Moderator

I told my cousin that and she goes, "how long has it been since you had sex? Over a year? you need to get laid, that's the problem."

I'm not sure what your cousin meant exactly but I'll take the option of the pain.

actually sexually active women have their vagina "open enough" (I sure do not use the right terms here sorry) for that kind of tests to not hurt of feel even uncomfortable.

so if she meant that then she is right about "sex is helping on that matter" though she was obviously tactless about it and I can understand your frustration

:cake: :cake:

EDIT:to add quote

The threads 'PAP TESTS! -___- gr' and 'for the women acers' have been merged into this thread.

Qutenkuddly,

Asexual Musings and Rantings Moderator

Sorry that's incorrect. Pap smears test for abnormal cervical cells, which can indicate cancer, but also be due to yeast or bacterial infection.

Also, since I have endometriosis I'm higher risk for cervical, uterine and ovarian cancers. The internal pap test is important for me as it could be an telltale of enlarged ovaries or cystic ovaries, which for me would mean ultrasound, MRI then surgery to biopsy the ovary.

It all depends on the individual, and if you have abnormal or extremely painful periods (mine are literally crippling) paps are a good precautionary measure just so you can catch on to something being abnormal quicker than if you didn't go for them.

On a side note, I wish I'd seen this thread earlier *face palm* sorry. I started a topic about a remark made after my pap test today. Ugh, that was not a fun experience.

I always found a way to talk my way out of these invasive internal things (I think being a virgin really helped...). I hope I'm not putting my life in danger or something (there have been cases of cancer and/or pre cancer down there in sexually active people in my family, but not in virgins in my family).

According to my nurse being a virgin probably makes you ok. Apparently the liklihood you will have the virus is increased from sex with men specifically, and I believe smoking is also a risk factor, but its unclear to me whether this is on top of sex with men or a side issue. I've never had sex with a man so I'm low risk but my nurse said that if I'd had sex with a woman who had sex with a man there is a small chance I could have the virus. As it turns out though, I don't. I cried at my pap test but it was nowhere near as bad as I'd thought.

Archived