Announcing the conference...

Several of you will have heard rumblings about this. The presence of so many international aces all in London at once is a chance that cannot be missed! Hence, I am excited to announce...

THE ASEXUAL WORLDPRIDE CONFERENCE 2012!!!

• Confirmed speakers:

• David Jay
      from San Francisco, USA (Founder of the Asexual Visibility and Education Network)
    • Nat Titman
      from Nottingham, UK (Founder of the the Livejournal asexual community)

[*]Panel discussions, workshops and open discussions featuring international community leaders.

[*]Screening of the
    (A)sexual
    movie!

[*]Free lunch and
    :cake:
    :cake:!

It will take place at the London South Bank University, Keyworth Centre on Sunday, 8 July 2012 - the day after the Worldpride march. You can easily get to it on the tube from Elephant and Castle station. It's also a bus ride away from Waterloo.

>>Click here<< for an interactive map (will open in new tab/window) and >>here<< for a map of the London Underground. There are also videos

and
to help you to get from the Elephant and Castle tube station to the Lecture theatre A of Keyworth.

The reception will begin the day at 9:30am with talks starting at 10am. We will finish with a screening+discussion of (A)sexual, starting at 5.45pm. The final timetable is still being drafted ~ TBA.

*Admission is free* We are not asking for financial contributions: we just want people to come! It's very very important that we get a good attendance at this event! It is an opportunity that does not come often. We intend to get press along to this event, and it should be a fantastic opportunity for some visibility. Mostly though it's a chance to meet everyone and hang out: the level of participation can range from just listening to actively participating in the panels or open discussions.

Ways you can help:

• Spread the word!
    Post a link on your
    , what have you!

• If you live in London or nearby and can offer a spare bed or just a sofa for visitors, that would be awesome and in much demand. Please let me know
    ASAP
    !

• We are looking for a volunteer to film the talks. If you can help with this, or would like to volunteer any other assistance with the event, please drop me a line!

Places are limited to 100, so if you intend to come, please post in this thread or send a note to worldpride@asexuality.org. While there, let me know if you are thinking of staying the night in London between march and conference, and need any help with finding cheap(ish) or possibly free accommodation.

Note: we are very grateful for Pride London for including us in their WorldPride festival listings. However we would like to note that this conference is not organized by Pride London or the WorldPride 2012 committee and they bear no responsibility for its content. The connection between the conference and WorldPride is that the former is being organized by the asexual walking group at WorldPride 2012.

Please feel free to spread the poster among your campus and work groups, online and among anyone else who could be interested! (Thanks Bris for putting the poster together!)

poster.png

Member4445

Yes! Can definitely make this. Only issue may be travel. My boyfriend will also be in attendance.

Obviously coming to this! Seem to have a bit of interest from students already; I assume allies are welcome (kind of the point, no?)?*

*edit: "open to members of the public", need to learn to read.

RodneyLondon

Glad a date is finally set, I'll definitely be there and looking forward to it!

I'm going (I've already emailed), and also taking my boyfriend. This seems to be a recurring theme in this thread...

Member4445

My mother has actually giving me her blessing to go :o Usually she's really concerned when I say I'm going to London but apparently this counts as important.

Electric Barbarella

Michael, this sounds interesting~ If I can make it to London for worldpride, I'd like to attend the conference too. :) And btw, I'd love some help with finding a place to stay too. I've never been to London and the prospect of finding something on my own is a bit daunting. >_<

I'll come to this out of interest. Might be worth announcing in the UK meetup forum too. Not everyone watches this forum.

Yap, I'll be attending.

I'll alert my "tribe" and will contact Michael off-line to see how I can assist.

Member4445

I must be grumpy, just as a warning :P I work nights and will be travelling to London straight from work on the Sunday so no sleep for me.

A Devil From Heaven

This makes me want to go even more... especially since you'll be screening the film too.. But it all depends my economy.. I'm pretty I sure I won't be able to afford a London trip now. :( However, if I can afford I'll let you know. Iwill most likely be bringing the friend I had talked about this with (I'm pretty sure he wouldn't mind attending the conference... he seems to find my asexuality very fascinating) in that case.

I'd definitely like to go to the conference.

Let us know if you can come, we'd need to keep a place for you.

If you can come, send a PM to michaeld or to myself, saying also how many seats you need :)

This goes to everybody as well ;)

Trava u doma

If you can come, send a PM to michaeld or to myself, saying also how many seats you need :)

Aww, what's the deadline for this?

I may not know if I can make it up until a few days before the conference :(

Electric Barbarella

I'm almost certain I'll be there! I just need to find a ho(s)tel for the duration (and I'm working on that right now) and then book the flights (but I already know which ones I'll be taking). I'll come back and confirm things as soon as I can. ^_^

If seats aren't all gone by then, the deadline is June 30th.

Trava u doma

If seats aren't all gone by then, the deadline is June 30th.

Aww, alright, thanks. I sooo hope I will make it! It sounds so awesome!

Again, most likely that I am coming for the Worldpride and conference! :) The chance is 75% until now... I will know exactly by 19th of June. I really want to come, really really!

It's my brother's wedding that weekend, so I won't be there, but I hope it goes well!

Electric Barbarella

Mkay, I am confirming my interest! I want to be at the conference! ^_^ Do you have to send an email too, or is just this enough?

Mkay, I am confirming my interest! I want to be at the conference! ^_^ Do you have to send an email too, or is just this enough?

please send an email to worldpride@asexuality.org so we can have your address to send you updates and the final timetable ;)

Electric Barbarella

please send an email to worldpride@asexuality.org so we can have your address to send you updates and the final timetable ;)

Will do!

De Mij'lory

Quite tempted to come up for the whole weekend now; don't really fancy overnighting in some backpacker hostel in London though, anyone up there got some floor space they don't mind me using... :)

Electric Barbarella

Quite tempted to come up for the whole weekend now; don't really fancy overnighting in some backpacker hostel in London though, anyone up there got some floor space they don't mind me using... :)

Sorry to butt in, but this topic might help you! ^_^