Travel Companions?

Vorpal Bunny

I also wanted to try and take a bike tour! Link 1 Link 2 Anyone interested in doing that? ^_^

I'd be into that. Or just renting bikes and riding around ourselves, whichever.

And Dr. Horrible, you're right. I'm leaving July 10th.

If anyone else is vegan or vegetarian, we should check out some restaurants. I also want to go to some charity shops/thrift shops, if anyone's into that. And I want to go to Highgate Cemetery, that looks pretty cool.

Electric Barbarella

I also wanted to try and take a bike tour! Link 1 Link 2 Anyone interested in doing that? ^_^

If anyone else is vegan or vegetarian, we should check out some restaurants. I also want to go to some charity shops/thrift shops, if anyone's into that. And I want to go to Highgate Cemetery, that looks pretty cool.

Yay! As long as we don't end up in the middle of traffic, I'm fine with renting on our own too, haha. (I'm shit scared of cars not really respecting bikes, iono?)

Also, thrift shopping sounds cool! And visiting a cemetery wouldn't be too bad, if it's a pretty one. :) As far as eating go, I'm game for anything. If it's not what I usually eat around here, even better!

Yay! As long as we don't end up in the middle of traffic, I'm fine with renting on our own too, haha. (I'm shit scared of cars not really respecting bikes, iono?)

Also, thrift shopping sounds cool! And visiting a cemetery wouldn't be too bad, if it's a pretty one. :) As far as eating go, I'm game for anything. If it's not what I usually eat around here, even better!

Sweet! Yeah, it would probably be better to ride in a park or on a bike path, than in the streets. I'm not used to the whole "riding in the other direction" thing! But I'm willing to give it a shot. :P This site has some routes. It's called "Walk London" but I think cycling is included also.

I'm not usually a big hanging-out-in-cemeteries person, but Highgate does look awesome! It's very pretty, at least, as far as I can tell from the pictures. Lots of famous people buried there too, apparently.

Here's an article I found on charity shops.

Electric Barbarella

Sweet! Yeah, it would probably be better to ride in a park or on a bike path, than in the streets. I'm not used to the whole "riding in the other direction" thing! But I'm willing to give it a shot. :P This site has some routes. It's called "Walk London" but I think cycling is included also.

I'm not usually a big hanging-out-in-cemeteries person, but Highgate does look awesome! It's very pretty, at least, as far as I can tell from the pictures. Lots of famous people buried there too, apparently.

Here's an article I found on charity shops.

...but I just noticed you won't be around London the same time I will. ;____; I'll have two days free after the Conference, and you'll be going home on the 10th, right? Damn.

Correction: I have Friday afternoon free too, because I arrive Friday morning, but what can we do that day? We gotta choose. =/

Edited by A. Belladonna

Well, I don't know if it's needed, but I'd like to say that the list is there for everyone to use it, I'm not gonna play match-maker :lol:

Just like Ily and Belladonna are doing, everyone can PM/post each other to see if their dates and interests match ;)

Trava u doma

Quick aside: from what I have seen, it's not that hard to get around London on bicycle. It seems they often have their own lanes, but even if they don't, cars are pretty mindful of them.

Also, when it comes to hiring I saw that barclays has a lot of hiring points scattered across London; I just don't know if you need to be a barclays client to use it and how costly is that.

*checking the threads regularly, still hoping she'll be able to attend the pride*

AkiraCoinTykiGotBetaMuffin

I don't think you need to be a Barclays client to use the docking stations, its pretty much just insert card and pay, and I think it's a pound for a day or a fiver for a week, if memory serves.

Wow. That's very cheap, I like it. :)

Bike tour(s) it is! xD

Sites I found useful for general info & ideas:

Official London Guide

especially the Guides section

The Londonist

super fresh news, events, deals

FREE TOUR of London

Note that only 1 of the 4 offered tours is free, but it sounds basic & great :rolleyes:

ETA =-=-=-=-=-=-=

Youtube clips "10 quirky place in London" (from Grey Giraffe)

&

thread with more ideas

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Sherlock BBC locations

Sherlockology

the most comprehensive, but no map

Map of 3 locations

Fan Forum - Meet-ups & questions

The soonest is on July 13th & I can't attend :(

Cheers for biking! :3 So, maybe on Friday afternoon...?

The 6th? I'm down. With the Barclays bikes, it looks like you pay 1-5 pounds for the overall service, and then you pay by the hour on top of that. So it's not *that* cheap, but renting any form of transportation never is. I investigated the kiosk while waiting for my train today.

(Also, hello UK. I am now in Manchester.)

Electric Barbarella

Cheers for biking! :3 So, maybe on Friday afternoon...?

The 6th? I'm down. With the Barclays bikes, it looks like you pay 1-5 pounds for the overall service, and then you pay by the hour on top of that. So it's not *that* cheap, but renting any form of transportation never is. I investigated the kiosk while waiting for my train today.

(Also, hello UK. I am now in Manchester.)

Great! ^_^ Only, I hope we can go biking maybe from mid-afternoon onwards...? 'Cause I'll arrive at the hotel between 1-2pm, so I could use some time to put things away and just get ready in general (and get to wherever we're meeting as well). :) Also I hope the biking includes a stop somewhere for food, 'cause I have no idea how I'll be in terms of hunger, hahaha.

BTW, is there a website for the Barclays bike kiosks, so we can check where they are?

De Mij'lory
FREE TOUR of London

Note that only 1 of the 4 offered tours is free, but it sounds basic & great :rolleyes:

Having done this sort of tour all over Europe, they're not really that all that free.. there'll be quite a few hints through the tour that you're supposed to leave a tip :) Although there's nothing stopping you not doing so, it's not really a nice thing to do.

Boris Bikes, sorry, Barclays Cycle Hire, is £1 for the day then the first 30 minutes of each trip are free, gets a bit expensive for after that. More info here: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/14811.aspx, although the wikipedia page is a little clearer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barclays_Cycle_Hire

If you're planning on cruising around for most of the day, it'll be far cheaper to find somewhere else to hire by the day.

Herr Joseph von Löthing

If you're planning on cruising around for most of the day, it'll be far cheaper to find somewhere else to hire by the day.

Not to mention that you'll get a bike which weighs less than 25kg and actually has gears and brakes which work.

Electric Barbarella
FREE TOUR of London

Having done this sort of tour all over Europe, they're not really that all that free.. there'll be quite a few hints through the tour that you're supposed to leave a tip :) Although there's nothing stopping you not doing so, it's not really a nice thing to do.

Boris Bikes, sorry, Barclays Cycle Hire, is £1 for the day then the first 30 minutes of each trip are free, gets a bit expensive for after that. More info here: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/14811.aspx, although the wikipedia page is a little clearer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barclays_Cycle_Hire

Oh, the bike scheme sounds like something we have here in Turin (called to.bike), only to have access to the bike you can't just use your credit/debit card, you have to go to an office and buy the service, for which you'll receive a special type of card. (It's not as easy to use, I'd say.)

Anyways, I checked the London Bicycle website too, and there's this guided tour through the West End, which sounds interesting. What do you guys think about the price, though? Too much?

There's always the option of doing something else too. XD I know they have those buses that go taking tourists all over the place too.

I have a National Geographic book which has several walking paths for interesting sights.

I like walking better. If everyone wants to join, my dates are posted there.

Electric Barbarella

I have a National Geographic book which has several walking path for interesting sights.

I like walking better. If everyone wants to join, my dates are posted there.

...I feel like I'm stalking this thread. Sorry for the spam, everyone. :P

I don't mind walking around to see the sights! Maybe we could organize something for Monday (9) or Tuesday (10)?

Also, there are the London Walks, which leave from any tube station, and don't cost that much (£9), and we get a guide on top of everything, haha.

Here's the explanation on Jack the Ripper's walk. This one happens every evening (7h30pm), though, so we have plenty of time to do other things. :3

Another walk which sounds pretty cool is the Hidden London one (every Monday at 11am from Monument station, scroll down if you can't find it). Or the British Museum (same day, 2h15pm, from Holborn station). There are a couple of Harry Potter walks too (tour of the film locations). ^_^ And on Tuesday there's one for Hidden Pubs in the evening. That sounds nice, haha.

Everyone, if you like the idea here's the schedule for Mondays and Tuesdays.

Friday afternoon sounds good! Not sure how long I take to get to the hostel and from there to you guys though, but I'll see. :)

Btw! Bike > Walk > Bus (god no, not the bus please :D)

Anyways, I checked the London Bicycle website too, and there's this guided tour through the West End, which sounds interesting. What do you guys think about the price, though? Too much?

Hmm, well, 18.95 does seem like a lot for only 2.5 hours of entertainment. But, I'd be willing to give it a go.

Another walk which sounds pretty cool is the Hidden London one (every Monday at 11am from Monument station, scroll down if you can't find it). Or the British Museum (same day, 2h15pm, from Holborn station). There are a couple of Harry Potter walks too (tour of the film locations). ^_^ And on Tuesday there's one for Hidden Pubs in the evening. That sounds nice, haha.

Everyone, if you like the idea here's the schedule for Mondays and Tuesdays.

I like the hidden London and hidden pubs ideas!

Friday afternoon sounds good! Not sure how long I take to get to the hostel and from there to you guys though, but I'll see. :)

Btw! Bike > Walk > Bus (god no, not the bus please :D)

I agree with you there. ;) Last time I was in London, I went on a bus tour, and while it was better than I thought it would be, I'm not in a rush to do it again.

Trava u doma

I was kinda sorry for those people on bus tours when it started raining (the upper deck often didn't have a "cover").

Actually, that's another thing to remember - it's raining in England. Pretty often. So it's better to make sure you have the correct shoes; it's not fun when one of them gets completely soaked through (experience :( ). Plus, I found it useful to take an umberlla every time I go out - even if it's sunny, really, still do take it.

Electric Barbarella

I'm glad my suggestions are being taken into consideration, haha.

What's the matter with the bus, though? I did the bus thing in Lisbon and it was quite fine. Is it 'cause of the rain?

So for those available on Friday the 6th let's try a tentative schedule. We start with the bike tour at 2h30 pm... then, what? The walks that happen on that day are none of the ones I mentioned before (those are for Monday and/or Tuesday). There's a "The Along the Thames Pub Walk" at 7pm or a "The Old Knightsbridge Village Pub Walk" at the same time, or a little later at 7h30pm a "Haunted London" walk or a "Jack the Ripper Tour". We could always hit a museum instead (maybe the Sherlock Holmes one?). I'm not opposed to any ideas, haha, so let's try to organize ourselves.

And for Monday and Tuesday, no one's available? I think I'll just have to go alone, haha.

COME WITH ME TO THE SHERLOCK HOLMES MUSEUM?

YES PLEASE!!! Also I totally want to go to Highgate Cemetery with you Ily!!

Um well I live in London so i'd be willing to be touristy with people. I didn't see this topic originally or I'd have volunteered sooner. I'll also be at Birmingham meet up, Worldpride and the Conference.

ithaca urh I mean Dr. Horrible and I are already planning to check out some of the Harry Potter sites and things as well.

I recommend that a lot of you who haven't been to London before check out this site: www.shadyoldlady.com (no it isn't what it sounds like!!) Its a tourist site, they have the Jack the Ripper tour list, as well as many others. Its free to setup and you can create your own tour of places you'd like to go. They've got some interesting ideas there as well for places I've never even heard of before.

Anyway feel free to pm me if any of you want to be touristy and stuff.

I don't mind walking, buses, or trains. But I can't do bicycles.

• 10 years later...

(Below is an official, green, mod message.)

Hi, everyone. This event has finished.

So, it's being locked.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator