Who are your asexual icons?

Valeati

Who are your asexual icons? I don't mean that you necessarily think they are asexual (although you might) but that they represent something asexual to you. Mine are Tolkien's Legolas, Robin Hobb's Fool, and the18th century castrato singer Farinelli.

Capslock Cadet

Tesla BY FAR.

Your post made me smile. I love this Tesla hype :lol:

Makoto Kubota in Kazuya Minekura's "Wild Adapter". On the other hand... most Minekura characters, really. Several of them seem to represent something asexual, in one way or another.

Ace McHeeb

I bet everyone's expecting me to say the Doctor. Well you're wrong. My ace icon is Sherlock Holmes.

MinusCelsius

I don't pick "icons" based on what sexuality or lack of such they represent.

The Great WTF

This. I tend to get frustrated and disappointed when I put people on such pedestals because I tend to get let down later.

Janus the Fox

Heh... I made my own icon, its in the avatar...

Ace McHeeb

Not so much an icon as a favorite mainstream asexual character.

Germanicus

I'd like to think we'd all benefit from sexual sublimation, so I guess I'd pick Tesla. I don't think there's much evidence of it happening to aces in general though, so it's just a silly thing.

I've known about Tesla long before the recent hype, however I'm glad to see him getting the recognition he deserves after so long.

Great Thief Yatagarasu

I don't put any people or characters on pedestals, either, but when it comes to awesome asexuals...I'd have to say that Jordi, from the webcomics Cuanta Vida and This is the worst idea you've ever had! has to take the cake (yes, that pun was needed). If you've never read either of those webcomics, then you'd have no idea what I'm talking about, but trust me, he's the coolest guy EVER. I mean that - EVER. As a character, he's usually so shy and unassertive that when he sees a problem and suddenly becomes an action hero over it, then it's just glorious to watch. You alternate between going "d'awwww!" and "FUCK YEAH THAT'S AWESOME" whenever he's on the page.

The creator had this to say about him, when asked to place her characters on the kinsey scale: "I honestly don’t know how to classify him. He’s mostly asexual, and pretty much only entertains fantasies in response to someone showing an interest in him," which kinda sounds like he's demisexual to me - but he's still an awesomely well-written example of a character who's both on the asexual spectrum and is romantic. You somehow get the impression that he's both uninterested in such matters, and yet is still in love with another guy - that's actually a difficult thing to pull off when writing a character.

.diva plavalaguna.

I don't have any. I never really cared about looking for "icons" to like who were similar to me, and I don't now.

I always thought Dumbledore was asexual before Rowling said he was gay. I still see him as asexual though since it never spoke of any kind of sexual relationship with him.

Capslock Cadet

This. I tend to get frustrated and disappointed when I put people on such pedestals because I tend to get let down later.

Well, I do have to agree with this. I usually don't do this either. As for Makoto Kubota it was rather that I much later on realized that I liked the character so much because he has this asexual side to him.

• 4 weeks later...

Hrmmm ... reading this, I'd say Moffat believes the Doctor to be ace

181403_451710848181534_1180950321_n.jpg

The Great WTF

Hrmmm ... reading this, I'd say Moffat believes the Doctor to be ace

181403_451710848181534_1180950321_n.jpg

How does that imply the doctor is ace? It's just as likely that there is just no concept of sexual orientation to him.

Kitty Spoon Train

Hercule Poirot...though not so much an "icon" as just a character I'm intrigued to look at through my Acedar goggles...

I know it's not clearly stated that he's ace, but I'm pretty convinced he is. From the entire modern series, the closest he seems to have had to a relationship in his lifetime was some girl in his past who he was purely romantically entangled with, but never pursued properly so she "friendzoned" him.

I also get the sense from a few episodes that, even though he seems to see aesthetic attraction in women, he just doesn't seem to see them in a sexual way. Really seems like the stereotypical Heteroromantic Ace. Possibly bordering on Aromantic in some ways. *shrug*

I'll give you some real ones.

Kenneth Williams - celebrated comedian and star of the Carry On Films who sadly died very depressed. Was really embarrassed by his homosexuality (then illegal) and never had any serious relationship.

Joan Sims - comedienne and also star of many Carry On films. Held out for the right man until her grave but he never turned up.

Rory Gallagher - Irish blues rock guitarist, always on the road, hard working no nonsense guy, polite, amazing player. Think he didn't even make 50. Never married, no kids, touring was his life.

All sadly missed. :-(

Tesla. Also Dante, who was most likely heterosexual, but then again his books are totally sex-free, so I like to think of him as an honorary ace.

This isn't much about "asexual icons" or anything, but is more about a work that ignores sex and romance in favor of idealizing other forms of relationships.

I read a manga about pirates called One Piece, and the author has gone on record to say he doesn't intend to ever feature romance because his characters are "in love with adventure". Rather than feature characters who have love interests and have the relationship focus be on that, there's a major emphasis on the bond formed by one's crew, where they basically become your family for life, with the other focus being the pursuit of one's dreams (while having your crew back you up in that). It's a nice alternative to "fulfill your dream (and also get the girl/boy" thing.

It's a dynamic I kind of like, and I wish I would have had a work like that when I was younger (even though the theme of one's friends is a saturday morning cartoon staple, there was also a big deal made about crushes and such, whereas this series has none of that).

While I would label anyone as asexual if it wasn't explicit, the protagonist Luffy was completely unaffected by an attack that uses a person's feelings of lust to turn them into stone while looking at the world's most beautiful woman while she was stark naked (the other guy who resisted this attack had to do it by stabbing himself in the hand to distract himself). I always felt I could relate to that.

So yeah, like I said, not about having "asexual icons", but it *is* about having things I can relate to in the fiction I read.

if we are talking of icons, I would tell swankivy, I dont know if you know her, she is an asexual, that makes youtube videos, about how she always gets attack about her asexuality :D , cause of her I found aven, and a lot of answers and happiness

The Great WTF

This isn't much about "asexual icons" or anything, but is more about a work that ignores sex and romance in favor of idealizing other forms of relationships.

I read a manga about pirates called One Piece, and the author has gone on record to say he doesn't intend to ever feature romance because his characters are "in love with adventure". Rather than feature characters who have love interests and have the relationship focus be on that, there's a major emphasis on the bond formed by one's crew, where they basically become your family for life, with the other focus being the pursuit of one's dreams (while having your crew back you up in that). It's a nice alternative to "fulfill your dream (and also get the girl/boy" thing.

It's a dynamic I kind of like, and I wish I would have had a work like that when I was younger (even though the theme of one's friends is a saturday morning cartoon staple, there was also a big deal made about crushes and such, whereas this series has none of that).

While I would label anyone as asexual if it wasn't explicit, the protagonist Luffy was completely unaffected by an attack that uses a person's feelings of lust to turn them into stone while looking at the world's most beautiful woman while she was stark naked (the other guy who resisted this attack had to do it by stabbing himself in the hand to distract himself). I always felt I could relate to that.

So yeah, like I said, not about having "asexual icons", but it *is* about having things I can relate to in the fiction I read.

The lack of romantic undertones is what made me fall in love with One Piece in high school. It's a completely random and off the wall series, too. I need to get caught up on it.

Without a doubt in my mind, my asexual icon is the lovely and talented Miss Emilie Autumn! I became a fan of hers when I was about sixteen, and it was through reading some of her interviews that I discovered asexuality, even though I didn't know I, personally, was asexual until three years later (I knew I was weird, but thought I would grow into normal heterosexuality). Since realizing that I was asexual, I have become an even bigger fan of Emilie's, and can't wait for her new album to come out next month!

I guess aside from Emilie, my "honorable mention" ace icons would be Tim Gunn and Spectrum vlogger Morag.

The lack of romantic undertones is what made me fall in love with One Piece in high school. It's a completely random and off the wall series, too. I need to get caught up on it.

I remember feeling characters were "ruined" when the had romantic desires, as, partly due to being younger at the time, I thought that sappy stuff was just eh. I could have done with some asexual/aromantic characters back then.

Now, I don't mind so much, because I've since developed interest in romantic love, but I do enjoy seeing for romanticized ideals of platonic relationships around.

The Great WTF

I remember feeling characters were "ruined" when the had romantic desires, as, partly due to being younger at the time, I thought that sappy stuff was just eh. I could have done with some asexual/aromantic characters back then.

Now, I don't mind so much, because I've since developed interest in romantic love, but I do enjoy seeing for romanticized ideals of platonic relationships around.

I've got a MASSIVE pet peeve about romance ruining whatever I'm watching, though that's mostly because I see the romantic subplots as poorly executed/out of character/taking over the plot/clearly just there because people think it should be. *glares at Legend of Korra* As much as I hate to admit it, that's one of the things I really appreciated about My Little Pony. The creator actually intended to give an alternative to the normal "obsessing over boys and little else" stories most girls' shows consist of now and she did a pretty damn good job. I can't for the life of me understand why people are so freaking obsessed with it, but I can appreciate it for what the creator did.

I've got a MASSIVE pet peeve about romance ruining whatever I'm watching, though that's mostly because I see the romantic subplots as poorly executed/out of character/taking over the plot/clearly just there because people think it should be. *glares at Legend of Korra* As much as I hate to admit it, that's one of the things I really appreciated about My Little Pony. The creator actually intended to give an alternative to the normal "obsessing over boys and little else" stories most girls' shows consist of now and she did a pretty damn good job. I can't for the life of me understand why people are so freaking obsessed with it, but I can appreciate it for what the creator did.

I always hate it when... I express that I don't like things like slash pairings, and then I get called homophobic for it.

Like, I have no problems with canon homosexual couples! But I don't like people presenting their ships, gay or otherwise, as practically canon, when there's nothing explicit. Because if that's the case, then I can't keep my value that people can be intimate and intensely emotional regarding a purely platonic relationship.

Like the friendship of Frodo and Sam in LOTR. Where Sam can run up and grab Frodo's hand and hug him and cry and all this stuff and it's not at all like that, but they turn into sexual tension, and like, i'm not going to fault you for your interpretation or headcanon, but at the same time, please don't fault me because that idea makes me cry a bit inside.

I dont really care about my fav people's sexual orientation

the people I admire who are actors in a special all female theater in Japan (and are on my avi and siggy) their sexual lives if any, they must be kept secret as long as they are part of the company (it's one of the rules of the theater)

so I admire them for their talents and their personalities, their sexuality has nothing to do with my admiration to them

Just re-watched that arc and it had some really hilarious moments. I will always love Luffy/One Piece infinitely.

Also Tim Gunn is my spirit animal.

I bet everyone's expecting me to say the Doctor. Well you're wrong. My ace icon is Sherlock Holmes.

Yup, I second that. :lol:

That was one of the reasons I got curious about asexuality.

Archived