Share Your Sapioromantic Interests

Oxalis

Do you or have you ever had an attraction/crush/squish/etc. to a person (real or unreal) because of intelligence? I enjoy the sapioromantic title and I keep looking back at the attraction I've had to characters in books, movies, etc. and I find that I was always compelled by the intellectual role! I keep recalling more and more characters. On the friendship level, Lisa Simpson; on a research partner level, Sheldon Cooper; on a pseudo-romantic/adoration level, Giles from Buffy. ;) I can't fully define my attraction to these people but I do know that I would enjoy some sort of relationship with them.

For those of you who feel similarly, do you have any characters to add? :cake:

ThingsWentBoom

Well, it's not really a crush or squish, but I often want to just hug Sherlock...yeah... and then I end up hugging my laptop screen

osiris8siriso

I also agree with Sheldon and Sherlock. In my favourite book there are two intelligent characters: one a master of puzzles and the other a chess grand master. I love them both. :lol:

Is it wrong that I have a tiny crush on Artemis Fowl? :ph34r: Basically, whenever I get into a fandom, I always feel a crush/squish towards the "smart" characters. If they happen to be a bit quirky and have an accent, well then that's even better!

In real life, I only start having feelings for someone that I know is smart. I never noticed until "sapioromantic" became a word for me.

balletomane

Intelligence is seriously attractive to me. I've had non-sexual crushes on fictional characters (both male and female) on the basis of their intellect, and this has happened in real life too - I had an embarrassingly long and passionate romantic crush on one of my best friends from school that began in my teens and persisted for about seven years, mostly based on his brain.

I not only had a crush, I married him. Lacking physical/sexual attraction (although I didn't put that piece of the puzzle into place until recently), I fell in love with a guy whose intellect and sense of humor were extremely attractive to me.

seinneadair

This is the only kind of attraction I seem not to be immune to. :) The 3-ish people I've ever been attracted to in any way were attractive to me because of the way they think. :) And fictional characters are no exception. There are too many to name.

Mostly I think I really like it when people notice things. Most people are completely oblivious to half of what goes on around them (at least, that's how it seems to me. I'm constantly reminding people - no, so and so has that book, the corner of it was sticking out of the top of her purse when we saw her earlier, etc. you get the idea...) so someone that notices things enough to play my own games back with me is going to be someone I find interesting. Ability to follow my rather unusual thought processes and not think I'm illogical or just crazy when I am not being really self-conscious and being careful not to say anything weird is also something I find attractive. Similarly, people who are really brilliant (or just really weird) and have thought processes that take a long time for me to understand or are just completely different from mine are also ones I end up being attracted to. Sherlock Holmes is a good example. :)

improbability

I read this book in middle school or so called The Adventures of Blue Avenger. The main character was always thinking about philosophical questions like free will vs. destiny, and I had the biggest crush on him.

Yes, sometimes I squish on people because of their intelligence or the way they think. I want to have one-on-one conversations with such people, "pick their brains" about deep or complicated topics, etc. Also be their best friend. I want to do that too. :ph34r:

Oh, yes. The women I have had crushes on have been intelligent (in addition to physically and/or aesthetically attractive to me). A real "turn on" (in a nonsexual way) for me is a woman who can challenge me intellectually.

Then there are people of all sorts who I find attractive purely on an intellectual level. Carl Sagan, Stephen Jay Gould, Isaac Asimov and Neil deGrasse Tyson come to mind.

It's more of admiration than a squish, but Alton Brown(From Food Network) is definitely someone I "squish" on. Oh very much so.

On the other side of things, there was a YouTube video I watched some time ago with a man telling jokes and commenting on Asexuality, and halfway through I was suddenly hit by how aesthetically attractive he was. It took me a few minutes to realize that this was triggered by his cleverness and humor. :wub:

I'm not sapioromantic, but I've found that a person needs to show intelligence or a sense of humor before I think to assess their level of romantic/aesthetic attractiveness.

I don't really feel attraction towards anyone, but I'm much more likely to strike a friendship with someone if they're intelligent (bonus points if they're witty. I'll avoid them if they're annoying.)

My favorite characters from books/movies/TV are always either the smart ones or the ones that make me laugh. I loved Sponge from Salute Your Shorts, Spencer Reid from Criminal Minds, Butters from the Dresden Files (book series), etc. In everyday life, it's the same. My closest friends are all really intelligent and/or have great senses of humor that I actually understand. I don't know that I'm sapioromantic, but this is definitely the sort of person that I lean toward. :D

• 2 months later...

I've often had an attraction to a person because of intelligence.

Obviously the physical appearance has also an important function, but it is not necessary to me. When I fall in love with someone I don’t see defects anymore.

I’ve also had attraction to characters in books, movies too. I’ve often noticed that characters whom attracted me look like a kind of nerd pupil.

Recently I’ve figure out that I’ve attracted by technologies so characters like robots or bionic boy :lol: For example the main character of Generator Rex cartoon, Rex Salazar and his brother whom is a mad scientist. I think this is because of their almost perfection and great intelligence. :wub:

This thread has been moved to A/Romantic Identities.

Qutenkuddly,

Asexual Musings and Rantings Moderator

Laughing Jackal

I have found that it's impossible for me to be attracted (romantically or otherwise) to someone who I do not consider to be intelligent. It's also pretty hard for me to maintain a friendship with someone I don't consider intelligent. I wonder if that makes me a snob. No characters come to mind, though I would probably have some sort of attraction to House if he were younger.

Also, what is a 'squish'?

Well, there's also Hermione ^^

I remember thinking she was the best character in the book when I first read it (and I was 12 back then).

I am absolutely more inclined to like someone if they are intelligent. I've never really had an attraction to anyone, but if I did, they'd need to be intelligent. Hermione and Remus Lupin are amazing. Also Sherlock. And ditto for Artemis Fowl (although I like Foaly better).

The smart (and witty!) characters are the best... In more "serious" literature, one of my favorite characters is E.K Hornbeck from Inherit the Wind (also Henry Drummond and his real-life counterpart Clarence Darrow).

Man, I am sapio.

• 11 months later...
cwm dumpster

Definitely a yes for Sheldon Cooper. And Amy Fowler!

I've have squishes on so many teachers of both genders that it's quite frankly embarrassing.

EruditeVolatility

Sheldon, Sherlock, Artemis Fowl, Tyrion Lannister - who ever the smart character is. All of my relationships have been (abusive) based on the fact the guy is smarter than me.

Dr Maura Isles from the TV-show Rizzoli & Isles. Whenever she starts talking nerdy, I just melt <3

• 1 year later...

Oh, this is definitely me. Sherlock Holmes (all versions of him), plus Spock and Data from the Star Trek universe. My ideal man is a combination of Stephen Fry (OMG! Jeeves and Oscar Wilde) and Mark Twain (would have been his groupie). When I was a young girl, I had a HUGE crush on Dick Cavett.

AshenPhoenix

This topic is being closed due to the amount of time that has passed since it's last active conversation. Please do not revive threads that have been inactive for too long. If you wish to discuss this topic further, feel free to create a new thread about it

​AshenPhoenix, romantic and Aromantic orientations Moderator

Archived