Help Cleander and Co. find fun things to do!

Sennkestra

So, since we're flying all the way across the pond, we'll be staying for a while to explore the UK and Ireland, and see all sorts of interesting things. Our plans are pretty flexible, so I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for cool places to visit, good places to eat, or fun things to do? I'm traveling on a student budget, so free or really cheap things are especially good.

So far, some of the suggestions I've heard are:

-see stonehenge

-see the roman baths

-eat a cornish pasty

-see the thames flood control system

-visit the tower of london

-see all the doctor who/torchwood stuff in cardiff

Also, I'd appreciate help with the following:

-any suggestions for good fish and chips places? (esp. in the central london area)

-any suggestions for where to get good authentic cornish pasty?

Any other advice or suggestions would be welcome as well :)

Winter Hill

-any suggestions for good fish and chips places? (esp. in the central london area)

1. Yorkshire is as close as you'll get to central London for good fish and chips ;)

2. Cornwall

It's true. Fish and chips in central London tend to be rubbish. Far better up north.

There's an ok fish'n'chip shop in Richmond which is worth visting for the river side walks, Richmond Park, Kew Gardens and if you walk a bit further upriver, Hampton Court and Bushy Park.

I'd also recommend the Peak District and Lake District, Portmeirion in Wales and the highlands of Scotland for outdoors or Edinburgh, York and Bath if you want to see historic cities.

1. Yorkshire is as close as you'll get to central London for good fish and chips ;)

2. Cornwall

^THIS.

Janus the Fox

Another food thought, the good old English breakfast

Another for visiting Wales, Welsh Rarebit and welsh cakes, pretty much get them anywhere in wales.   

borrowedTime

Whether you find it in the north or the south, for the full experience you should really get your fish and chips at a seaside town or village, and eat it sitting on a bench on the seafront in the evening sun, with the sounds of the waves and the gulls around you.

Winter Hill

We can have good fish and chips down south too!

Only if you transport them in a sealed, temperature controlled container from the north ;)

So far, some of the suggestions I've heard are:

-see stonehenge

-see the roman baths

-eat a cornish pasty

-see the thames flood control system

-visit the tower of london

-see all the doctor who/torchwood stuff in cardiff

Also, I'd appreciate help with the following:

Any other advice or suggestions would be welcome as well :)

I did investigate the internet for some assistance

Stonehenge does not have a train link to it so in advance check how to get there, this might help http://www.stonehenge.co.uk/arrive.php

Bristol and the baths have excellent transport links from London

Tower of London and the barriers are all easily accesible through good transport

Cardif is some distance from London so you might want to book a cheap room overnight to make the most of the city.

Fish and chips, they actually have annual awards for fish and chip shops so this might help. http://www.fishandchipawards.com/news/

Cornish pasties are always best in Cornwall and are traditionalymore potato than meat but again there are so many varieties but here is just one outlet

http://www.cornishbakehouse.com/cornish_bakehouse_locations_map.htm

I am slightly jealous of you all about to go on the trip and hope everyone going has a great time.

Cleaaaaaaa I have a book!!!!! 101 things that we must do in London!!! We could pick some!!!

**hasn't read it yet**

Guest member25959

You'll be traveling around the UK~? It's not quite as small as people like to make out, it's actually kind of vast. :lol:

Having said that...

• Chester
  • Trafford Center (huge mall just outside of Manchester, the longest in and has the largest indoor foodcourt in Europe)
    If you like English manors and that kind of stuff...
  • Tatton Park
  • Speke Hall

And one thing you must try, British cookies. They're a lot different compared to American cookies, stuff like Bourbons, Nice, Malted Milk, Party Rings, Pink Panthers. They're not as good as the American stuff, but when in Rome...

Vorpal Bunny

*shuffles in and steals ideas*

My friend just came back from Europe. Her pictures of the Ianto Jones memorial... :( I wanna go to Wales...

• 4 weeks later...

Not that I'm saying this will be the cultural highlight of your life but if you wanted to get to the south coast Brighton is a 45min train journey from London Victoria and if you book online from here: http://www.southernrailway.com/ you can get advance tickets for £6-£8 if you book two or more days in advance. Even if its only the day before it will probably still be cheaper. Then you can sit on the pebbles, paddle in the English channel, eat fish and chips on the pier and other traditional sea side stuff too!

http://www.visitbrighton.com/

• 10 years later...

(Below is an official, green, mod message.)

Hi, everyone. This event has finished.

So, it's being locked.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator