Engaging Asexual Partners

Mr Stranger

Has any female asexual tried dancing (belly dancing or pole dancing)?

Mr Stranger

That might work for some. Is it even possible for a guy to belly dance? How is it done? What exactly makes belly dancing different form regular dancing?

That might work for some. Is it even possible for a guy to belly dance? How is it done? What exactly makes belly dancing different form regular dancing?

Watch some youtube videos on bellydancing and you'll see the difference. When we were kids my brother was an excellent belly dancer. I'm pretty sure he's since ditched the hobby, but I see no reason why men wouldn't be able to shimmy their hips.

Ditto! That's fun! And I saw it at just the right time too- my nightly walk was cut to only twenty minutes due to uncomfortable numbers of mosquitoes, but now I have something else for an activity tonight! (Other than yoga).

As a belly dancer, I have to clarify that belly dancing is not inherently sexual. Western culture made it that way because the Victorians were scandalized by the movements. Some of the moves can be sexual as a dance can tell a story about love or be used as a part of a woman's transition into adulthood, but when you get down to it, belly dance is simply a folk dance from the Middle East that has evolved to take many forms, one being entertaining people in restaurants. (Sorry for the rant, this is a huge pet peeve of many dancers.)

Pole dancing has also moved away from the sexual aspect. It's become very focused on athleticism and grace, sort of like ballet meets acrobatics.

I've been doing burlesque, which I think will always be sexual. It's really fun to let go and be a tease even when I'm just doing it for myself. :D

Belly dance is about isolating muscle groups. That makes it similar to popping-and-locking and jazz, but it also has shimmies and traveling steps. The music and the cultural history also make it different.

Men do belly dance. The basic movements are the same, but men will dance flat-footed and their hip movements often go forwards and back rather than side to side (because it's easier for guys' hips to move in that direction). Traditionally, female belly dancers are supposed to convey grace and softness while males have to be strong and powerful. These days, that doesn't matter so much (the video below... OMG :wub: ).

Mr Stranger

That's very interesting. Belly Dancing looks fun, actually. Exhausting, but fun. And sexuals supposedly get a kick out of seeing it, right? That would spice things up a bit. Make them more interesting, at the least. It would also be good exercise; something I need more of, if no one else. I'm probably going to look into this a bit more. Thanks! :cake:

Midnight Lady

Watch some youtube videos on bellydancing and you'll see the difference. When we were kids my brother was an excellent belly dancer. I'm pretty sure he's since ditched the hobby, but I see no reason why men wouldn't be able to shimmy their hips.

I have this program on my DVD-disk... :) It consists of 4 parts, each one approximately 30 minutes... :) I use them as my fitness routine... And I actually have 2 belly-dance outfits... :D

My wife is asexual and has been doing belly dance for four years now. Was your question leading somewhere, newgirl?

I've done it a few times, and I've had fun doing it. I consider it very beautiful, not very sexual. Are you asking if some have tried using it to help engage them? They could...I imagine it would work better if the other partner was into in.

Body weight or size should not matter, I found this amazing dancer who may be on the bigger size, but doesn't let it get in the way of fantastic skill.

I've done the latter from a friend who works at a club.

Basic stuff like using the pole as a way to express your movements and make it appealing imo was easy but you have to have a certain flair in your movements to make it " sexy ". It sounds stupid but I felt like the pole was kinda like a dance partner in a way..it was easy for me to imagine it was a celebrity I liked who was just standing still and I'm there just dancing around him but it can get awkward if you're trying advanced stuff like when they hang upside down and come down slowly..not me and that again :mellow:

I think belly daning and pole dancing in front of your partner is a good idea.

• 1 month later...

I realize this thread hasn't been posted in for a while, but I thought of something. I know games have been mentioned before, but what about games like chess or Monopoly? They stimulate the brain, engage both partners and could be turned into something sexy but fun. Like strip chess, every piece you loose is an article of clothing that is removed.

how about for guys. if i am not aroused its just not happening and by the time it comes to sex the arousal stops and my partner is left either frustrated irritated or wondering if its them, even with the explanations they feel unsatisfied. so compromise is not an option there, pills are an option but I'm young and perfectly healthy so my doctor wont give them to me. options? :(

Archived