Sapiosexual

consultingalias

consultingalias

I recently heard about Sapiosexuality. Which, for any who don't know and can't be bothered Googling, means that one finds intelligence and wit the most sexually arousing feature in a potential partner. Now, that kind of sounds familiar, minus the sexual part. So my question is this, is there such a thing as Sapioromantic? A Sapioromantic Asexual?

What I mean is this, I have no desire to sleep with anyone, in fact, I am a bit uncomfortable being touched, even just an affectionate shoulder pat. But I do find intelligence an extremely attractive quality. I only ever feel this attraction (kind of a desire to be around them) for extremely intelligent people. I suppose it's yet more labelling, but I like being able to define everything.

I previously considered myself to be Aromantic, because I don't believe in love as an emotional state (I see it as purely chemical) and the idea of having a partner who wanted to do all that smoochy stuff filled me with dread. But I find I'm not adverse to the idea of something along the lines of Sheldon and Amy's relationship in Big Bang Theory. That actually seems kind of nice.

Thank you for hearing my ramble and I appreciate your thoughts.

SquirrelCat

I really have to thank you because I've been looking for this definition for a while but have not been able to find it. So thank you for bringing it up.

I could define myself as a sapioromatic asexual, I always fall for the professor types. But I don't fall for them in a romantic sense but rather a platonic one, I want to lean against them, listen to them and such but I am a little averse to touch.

Maybe I'm actually an Aromantic Sapio-attracted Asexual... or something weird like that.

So my question is this, is there such a thing as Sapioromantic? A Sapioromantic Asexual?

You found one. Hi!

/waves

So my question is this, is there such a thing as Sapioromantic? A Sapioromantic Asexual?

*raises hand* Me! :D All the men and women(fictional or otherwise) I've found attractive have been very intelligent.

I...suppose I would be? Idk. I kinda have a major pet peeve for believing what you are told and then being stubborn about said thing despite knowing nothing about it. I suppose it can be generalized to people, to some degree, choosing to not think when presented with the opportunity and a valid reason. These don't really imply someone is unintelligent though.

I told my boyfriend a couple times I was leaving him for Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory. XD

Mr. Shuttershy

Some people find intelligence attractive... some money, some a sense of humor, some a nice ass. Those are preferences, not orientations.

Some people find intelligence attractive... some money, some a sense of humor, some a nice ass. Those are preferences, not orientations.

Yeah, to try to make an orientation out of a simple preference is kind of annoying. Because people try to make simple preferences into orientations, no wonder some people might just boil down asexuality to a preference as well.

In essence, yes, I find intelligence appealing. I am asexual, and nearly assuredly aromantic, but I do enjoy the presence of people who are intelligent, whether logically or creatively; they make great conversation. Everyone else is, well, a person to me, and I find the average person's conversation quite boring sometimes, if only due to predictability, and lack of opinions and musings.

Guest member25959

Pretty much this.

All these new labels that have been turning up lately (allosexual, pokkisexual...), I just don't get them.

I'm of the belief that your orientation IS a preference. Everyone's got a different one, none is more right/wrong than another, and it's subject to change based on outside influences (even if it is unlikely)

Also, I don't think this topic was trying to suggest "sapiosexual" as an orientation. Orientations as far as I know refer strictly to sex/gender (or lack thereof, in the case of asexuals). This is just a shorthanded "scientific" term to elaborate in a single word on what one might find sexually/romantically attractive.

I think you're right there, about this being a preference, not an orientation.

We can get too attached to labels and categories.

Midnight Lady

Also, I don't think this topic was trying to suggest "sapiosexual" as an orientation. Orientations as far as I know refer strictly to sex/gender (or lack thereof, in the case of asexuals). This is just a shorthanded "scientific" term to elaborate in a single word on what one might find sexually/romantically attractive.

If it was about preferences, it would rather be called "sapiophilia"... :)

If it was about preferences, it would rather be called "sapiophilia"...

I find the sexual/romantic terms more useful personally, because they more precisely describe the degree of the attraction.

I sure as hell don't want anyone calling me a sapiophile.

Pandora's Fox

I'm probably sapioromantic. If so it could be why I've not been romantically attracted to anyone yet.

Wit and intelligence is rather attractive, coupled with a nice nature...... My ex is like that, even now, when we meet up, I still love to hear them talk... :)

Yeah, basically I agree with this. Considering you don't have sex with someone's intelligence, you know.

Notte stellata

I agree that it's a preference, not an orientation. If it's an orientation, do we also need labels for those who are attracted by talent, humor, status, and numerous other factors? :P

But yeah, I'm very sapio-attracted. I like smart and opinionated people who can have deep conversations with me. Once I find I click very well with someone on an intellectual level, I'll suddenly feel much closer to them emotionally.

Notte stellata

If it was about preferences, it would rather be called "sapiophilia"... :)

The word "sapiophile" also exists: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Sapiophile :lol:

Kitty Spoon Train

I'm with SkulleryMaid on this...

I was actually just thinking the other day how I find intelligence attractive, and how strong intellectual compatibility is a non-negotiable point for me for a potential partner. But yes, I think this is a preference, not an orientation. I was actually discussing this with a friend last year - she said she has other intellectual male friends, but unlike me they don't look for intellectual compatibility much in potential partners - they married women who were essentially completely unintellectual, but were sweet traditional types who just wanted children and to be good home makers. So the intellectual compatibility point just isn't important in their relationships. The other complementary points carry them instead.

So yeah, not an orientation. I could be just the same as I am (demisexual), but if I wasn't intellectual myself I might find something else attractive instead of intellectual compatibility.

The word "sapiophile" also exists:

I'm sure that it does, but that doesn't change the fact I don't want to be referred to as one >_>

The -phile suffix carries a strong sexual context, and that is not at all what I experience.

test account

Which is weird because 'philia' means love, not sex.

Anyway, I thought sapiosexuals were going to be people who want to do it with slightly more intelligent apes--it just had the whole evolution slant to my ear... Homosapiens, homoerectus... Yeah I know i didn't think it through.

Which is weird because 'philia' means love, not sex.

And gay means happy, but we all know where the school kids ran with that one...

I appreciate that sapiosexual or sapioromantic is not an orientation. However, I think it's a valid label for those to whom it applies. It rings deeply with me, because sapiosexuality is the only sexuality I ever experience.

This.

1helluvabutlr

I find intelligence an attractive quality in choosing the people I surround my life around but I prefer them not to be treating me like a child just because they are smarter than me in some areas. Yet this has nothing to do with romantic attraction much less sexual

Archived