Advantages and disadvantages of being asexual

Face

AsexyGurl1990

One perk for me is that I see myself growing up into an old lady with lots of cats... and being extremely content with that. :D

And, I don't see this as necessarily an Ace perk as opposed to generally being single, but the freedom of being single. Of not having to worry about others (in an exclusive, romantic sense) but me.

Whenever I am surrounded by friends (I have many of them like this) that complain about their guys problems, or all of the broken hearts, depression and anger they've been through with many guys over the years, I sit there and think "Well... thank the Creator I'm an Ace."

I don't see myself better than sexuals at all. I just feel... relieved.

If I were to be reincarnated in the future, I would pray to the Almighty that I be born Ace again.

Benefits of being ace:

1) I really love being able to fly. It's much easier to take flight when you're not burdened by sexual attraction.

2) I never have to eat anymore, because I'm not dating and therefore I don't need to waste my time with pesky human tasks.

3) I can spend all my money on collecting various types of cats, various types of cakes, and various cats made out of cake.

4) The I money I save not dating can be used to buy more black rings so that I can wear a black ring on my black ring.

5) None of my friends will get married, because I don't have friends.

6) Reproduction by budding.

Qutenkuddly

Meh. For me, being asexual makes forging romantic relationships a heck of a lot harder, so not many perks that I see.

However, there is one pertinent to many male aces like myself: we rarely think with the little head. :P

No worries if there's unwanted children of yours running around somewhere in the world if you're a male.

No worries of unwanted pregnancies if you're a female.

No worries about AIDS or other horrific STDs.

Being able to do your thing and not worry about impressing the opposite sex in ritualistic displays of peacocking.

I'm an aromantic asexual, so some of the above may be biased.

I probably repeated something someone else said but I'm too lazy to read through every single post before I post.

Being an Ace is fantastic I must say.

1helluvabutlr

-Saying you are ace without sounding like a prick

-Not having unwanted attention because all that dies down when you say you are asexual and they actually know what it means. (attention as having them be all up on you and attracted to you)

Benefits of being ace:

1) I really love being able to fly. It's much easier to take flight when you're not burdened by sexual attraction.

2) I never have to eat anymore, because I'm not dating and therefore I don't need to waste my time with pesky human tasks.

3) I can spend all my money on collecting various types of cats, various types of cakes, and various cats made out of cake.

4) The I money I save not dating can be used to buy more black rings so that I can wear a black ring on my black ring.

5) None of my friends will get married, because I don't have friends.

6) Reproduction by budding.

:lol:

Janus the Fox

-Not being bothered, I guess?

But really is there any real pearks for a lack of a sexual perk?

hollowed out feeling

Not having to worry about getting pregnant or contracting STI's/STD's

Meh, honestly. All this talking about not getting pregnant and not getting STDs doesn't help people who are looking to know more about asexuality to tear it apart from celibacy.

Not getting pregnant nor STDs is a perk of being celibate, which you can be as asexual and as sexual, because it's another thing and it's a choice. I personally cringe when people don't make this distinction :/

The same goes for not spending that much money on contraception etc etc..

All the things I saw mentioned about sexual behaviour, I don't consider them a perk of asexuality but a perk of celibacy. If you are asexual but have sexual activity you will have to worry about all those things as well.

It looks simple to me. Asexuality =/= celibacy.

Wookieinmashoo

I'm different!

DID I MENTION THAT ONLY ONE PERCENT OF THE POPULATION IS ACE, AND THEREFORE ONLY ONE PERCENT OF PEOPLE HAVE THE SAME ORIENTATION AS ME? Because that's awesome.

Sorry, but I'm not buying into the "I'm a speshul snowflake" idea.

Letsee...perks...

This "sexual frustration" thing is non-existent to me, but I'm assuming that's probably because my libido is somewhere in the negatives, not from being asexual.

Flirting goes right over my head, but that can sometimes get me in trouble...

I can easily make friends and not have to worry about becoming sexually attracted to any of them. That's the perk I'm sticking with :|

I can easily make friends and not have to worry about becoming sexually attracted to any of them. That's the perk I'm sticking with :|

On the other hand, they could become sexually attracted to you, which would make things a little awkward if this is the only perk of asexuality you have. ;)

MiserableGuest

For me, there's more cons than pros about being an asexual. One thing I like, though, is it does suite my personality quite well.

Even If I were a romantic sexual, I'd still spend the rest of my life alone and as a virgin because I'm simply not good at flirting and I'm not that good to look at either :(

I'd be even more depressed knowing that its my social skills rather than a biological anomaly that's preventing me from getting laid & getting involved in relationships.

On the other hand, maybe if I was sexual I'd naturally develop the skills needed for me to flirt my way into other peoples pants without trying too hard :lol:

Wookieinmashoo

On the other hand, they could become sexually attracted to you, which would make things a little awkward if this is the only perk of asexuality you have. ;)

My tactic hasn't failed me once. Actually, yes it has,once, and thus you must be right. WHY MUST I ALWAYS BE WRONG D:

glitchunter

I'm different!

DID I MENTION THAT ONLY ONE PERCENT OF THE POPULATION IS ACE, AND THEREFORE ONLY ONE PERCENT OF PEOPLE HAVE THE SAME ORIENTATION AS ME? Because that's awesome.

What makes me happy is not harming you or anybody else, so I don't see why you have to put it down. If being different makes me happy, and it doesn't make you happy, then you shouldn't try to rain on my parade.

Wookieinmashoo

I'm different!

What makes me happy is not harming you or anybody else, so I don't see why you have to put it down. If being different makes me happy, and it doesn't make you happy, then you shouldn't try to rain on my parade.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special. Just because you fit into a tiny demographic does not mean you are any better than anyone else. It's what will foster elitism which is good for no one.

Also I didn't rain on your parade; you just decided to step under the thundercloud.

a_shade_bolder

hmm, it's difficult.

I'm not sure if it's right to say any sexuality is better than the others (they all have good points, and it's not like anyone wieghs up the differences and then choses the "best" one). but...

advantages of being a [bi]romantic asexual:

- no casual sex partners means less chance of STIs (yes, I know thats behaviour, but most ace people probably don't go out "pulling")

- less unsuitable crushes, as they're based on personality not appearance (I mean, lots of people who think they're "hot" act like twats)

- when I get a crush (very rare, last one was 3 years ago) it has all the intense fun I imagine sexuals experience, but it seems deeper.

- I'll never have to compromise on looks/sex to find a partner I really love (I had a friend who really felt he'd settled for someone less attractive and not well matched sexually because he couldn't find a "hot" partner he could also have a real conversation with, that sounds crap!)

- I do like that it's a bit more unusual. being non-hetro (before I found out about being ace, I thought I was bisexual) means I've met lots of awesome people I wouldn't have met otherwise

advantages of dating a [bi]romantic asexual:

- I'm less likely to cheat than a sexual (I seem to have a sex drive, but only in the context of a relationship. I have no urges when single & none towards anyone other than my partner in a relationship)

- I genuinely don't mind what my partner looks like, as long as they're happy in their skin

Strangely Brown

Also, the hipster part of me rejoices at being part of a minority! (Which isn't really a rare occurrence for me, but oh well)

never odd or even

Meh, honestly. All this talking about not getting pregnant and not getting STDs doesn't help people who are looking to know more about asexuality to tear it apart from celibacy.

Not getting pregnant nor STDs is a perk of being celibate, which you can be as asexual and as sexual, because it's another thing and it's a choice. I personally cringe when people don't make this distinction :/

The same goes for not spending that much money on contraception etc etc..

All the things I saw mentioned about sexual behaviour, I don't consider them a perk of asexuality but a perk of celibacy. If you are asexual but have sexual activity you will have to worry about all those things as well.

It looks simple to me. Asexuality =/= celibacy.

This.

Princess Flufflebutt

The best thing about asexuality is that reproduction is a solo activity.

Being an aromantic ace and having used to be a sexual has not much benefits as I see my circumstances is only due to adaptations to environmental forces though arguably biologically as I have congenital rubella.

Point 1, I am still attracted to women in a somewhat distant manner since I want nothing to do with anyone and I admire the female form very much myself. Sometimes there are times where I wish I am actually capable of forming close relationships outside my first degree relatives even though I do not honestly desire it. This behavior is stimulateously advantageous and does not bring benefits at the same time.

Point 2, I am still a sexual in an asexual body meaning that I am like a sexual and none of you will figure me out for an asexual unless specifically asked.

Notte stellata

I guess most (if not all) people here know the difference between asexuality and celibacy. The point is being asexual makes it effortless/much easier to be celibate (how many sexuals are willing to be celibate?), or at least not to have casual sex, thus comes the perk of not getting pregnant and/or not getting STDs.

But yeah, I agree that people who don't know about asexuality might get confused by these posts.

I have a really hard time separating asexuality, aromanticism, and lack of a libido in myself sooo I'll just talk about the benefits of all three :D Also my personality probably causes these pros as well.

I think the BEST benefit is how it effects friendships. I never have to worry about romantic or sexual drama with my friends. And my friends can all trust me completely when it comes to those things. Also I can be friends with both sexes equally easily. I'm not sure if that would be possible if I was a sexual, romantic, libido'd person.

While I never get to experience the good parts of sexual or romantic relationships I also don't have to experience the bad parts :) And there seems to be SO MANY bad parts.

I am never sad over my lack of romantic/sexual relationships.

No pregnancy/std scares! Yes this is also a pro for celibacy. And monogamous people. And others. But right now I am talking about me, and it is a pro for ME because I am asexual, aromantic, and libido-less. So why the hell would I ever get pregnant or an std? I won't. Its pretty freaking awesome :)

No sexual urges is convenient. I have enough urges and cravings already. I don't need another one.

Complete freedom from others! I'll never have to share my life with another, I'll never have to make decisions about MY life with someone else. No one gets a say but me. And to me that is the best thing in the world.

I really like that, knowing I'm a (hetromantic) asexual, I can appreciate feminine attractiveness without having distracting influences on my opinion. On rare occasions when I go so far as to complement women/girls on their appearance the complement is completely genuine. Since finding out about asexuality and realising that I am asexual, I derive pleasure from knowing that I can give such complements genuinely.

That might seem like a strange thing to like about being asexual, but that's the main thing I think of :)

• 2 weeks later...

As an aromantic Asexual the best part of being one is you have the freedom to be whoever you want to be, you don;t have to conform to h.s fads and things like that

Ace McHeeb

The perks of being asexual for me are mainly not having to worry about contraception and STD's. So many of my friends have endless amount of worry and trips to the clinic due to their sex lives. I feel that my asexuality gives me a worry free life in that department at least. I can also enjoy the fun side of relationships (the romance and emotional intimacy I crave) without worrying about the icky sexual part that gets so messy in so many ways

A. MEN! :D

People of the opposite sex feel safer around you, so it's easier to make friends with them (probably not as much as being gay, though, because it's less obvious)

But being gay can make hetero people of the same gender uncomfortable, so basically it would put you back to square one.

Since I am an asexual, aromantic, the best thing for me about these traits is that they free up my mind to naturally think pleasant, non-grasping thoughts and enable me to venture into further education; developing wisdom.

As a person trying to suppress unwanted romantic attraction, I suppose my asexuality removes a hindrance that would just make this whole predicament even more complicated. This is somewhat of an assumption, though, because I can't really say from personal experience whether having sexual attraction would change anything in the first place.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey!

Just wanted to get an idea of how some people feel about their identity. This is NOT to make people feel bad. I'm just doing this for fun and to have an interesting discussion.

What I like about being asexual:

1) I don't worry about the aftereffects/side effects of (unplanned) sex - pregnancy, having to use birth control, going to an OB/GYN (ugh), etc.

2) I don't need sex the way girls I know need it periodically, so I get to spend more time talking with my family, doing my creative writing, anything besides work and school.

3) I don't have to experience putting out for a guy and then getting dumped. Wah.

What I don't like so much about being asexual:

1) It alienates people. Something about me tells even girls that I'm different, so they don't really like to be seen with me. PLUS I don't belong in my college's LGBTQ community.

2) It's kind of strange in the context of my personality. I love fashion, I love makeup, I appreciate hotness (I call hot guys hot, thus confusing people), I LOVE romance novels and films, I get crushes - all without the sexual attraction. If you didn't know I was asexual, you'd think I should be sexual, but I'm not.

3) It's lonely! I am in the very difficult position of being not just a romantic asexual, but a HYPERromantic asexual. I WANT a life partner, but no sex. And at this point there's no way I'm getting that.

Thoughts?

Archived