Ace Inclusion at Trevor Project (National LGBT Suicide Hotline)

kitchenwitch

kitchenwitch

I’m really happy to announce that Trevor Project will be including some training materials about asexuality and asexual issues for their staff and volunteers. The Trevor Project offers 24 hour 7 day a week telephone counseling services to youth who are struggling with crisis and thoughts of suicide. In addition they have an online anonymous advice message system for non-crisis issues surrounding gender and sexual identity. The staff and volunteers who provide advice and support will now have access to and training on ace positive information.

This is huge and is great inclusion by the Trevor Project! Suicide prevention among youth of all gender and sexual minorities and the other work that Trevor Project does is critical. Suicide has touched many of us in some way. Now there is a place for ace, grey-a, aromantic, and demisexual people to seek help when they are in crisis. The Trevor Project crisis line is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-866-488-7386.

Now is the time to spread this information across our community so that everyone knows. I’ve attached a bunch of graphics: two purple Trevor Project logos and a few of their own graphics. There is also a set from a campaign they did recently that I pulled off of google. Note: Trevor’s logo color is primarily orange; I made purple graphics instead of orange/purple ones for color clashing reasons.

If you have a blog, website, tumblr, or other web presence, you can use these graphics to spread the word. I know that we can get this information across our community very quickly and let everyone know that there is help and hope when they feel alone. If you have a blog or tumblr, please write about this to spread the word. I’m also adding the info to my AVEN signature.

The materials that were created for Trevor Project’s training manual are available here. Originally I intended to have them be produced via a community project but I wasn’t able to get that together in time (I’m sorry :( ). Producing more documents like this one is a goal of mine over the summer, so anyone who is interested in that should send me a message. If you would like to thank the Trevor Project, I suggest using their Facebook page or their Twitter feed.

acetrevor-1.jpgacetrevor-2.jpg

trevor-gladIfailed-1.jpg

trevor-gladIfailed-2.jpg

trevor-gladIfailed-3.jpg

trevor-gladIfailed-4.jpgtrevor-logo.jpgtrevor-neveralone.jpg

• 2 months later...

Very good news indeed! Thank you for the update. I'm still working on inclusion from the mighty HRC... The fight is endless.

Member4445

This is awesome. What I want to do is start something similar for the uk because the trevor project seems to be only for americans. Today I found a flyer at my mental health service involving help for lgbt but not aces. I'll be contacting them.

Watch me succeed.

Brilliant news!!

This is awesome. What I want to do is start something similar for the uk because the trevor project seems to be only for americans. Today I found a flyer at my mental health service involving help for lgbt but not aces. I'll be contacting them.

Watch me succeed.

Yes... I agree. I don't know if it's already been done but i'd like to see how we can reach out to UK-based organisations. It's great news that asexuals are now officially included within the NUS LGBT, too, so I reckon that'll help when working with these organisations. Talking of mental health services - I'm starting a new job in October in mental health in primary care (in GP surgeries, other community centres etc) so i'm definitely going to see how I can help provide info on asexuality in the community, too. Looks like we might be able to discuss this at Reading Pride, Cy Cy :)

Archived