Asexuality on Jornal da Cultura (Brazil)

Sennkestra

honor is all

http://tvcultura.cmais.com.br/jornaldacultura/jornal-da-cultura-03-04-2012-2-bloco

Content starts at 5:17

I personally don't know portuguese so I have no idea how good it is, but it's always cool to get some visibility in new languages/areas.

As a passive speaker (i.e. understands but can't speak) of Portugese (due to my background in Spanish) I can attest that this piece of visibility is a very positive one and that 7,5% of Brazilians identify as asexual as opposed to the general 1% estimate. :D So much for the Brazilian nympho stereotype. Stuff Fox with its beach-boy, femme fatale portrayals. There is so much beauty and complexity to this seemingly superficial beach and coctail culture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU4dV97MyvY

I know it's meant to be a joke and satire (I generally like the Simpsons) but this episode is an overload of negative stereotypes. :wacko::mad:

Well, basically it goes:

- Basical explanations.

- Stating clearly that it isn't a medical condition.

- A survey from a hospital (psychiatric section) revealed that 2,5% of males and 7,5% of females in a 7000 group are asexuals.

- A researcher said that are romantic asexuals and aromantic asexuals, only not using the terms.

And everything went well, until a commentator point out that the making the asexuality a flag can get in the way of medical researches about hormonal disfunctions, in a sense that every research about the relation of lack of sexual attraction and hormonal disfunctions can be considered wrong, discriminatory, "asexism" and so on. They all seemed ok with asexuality, with this minor fear that making it a cause having side-effects.

On a interesting note, one of the commentators is a doctor and pointed out that:

- there are people with hormonal disfunctions and asexuals

- a linguistic thing: it's wrong to say "asexuated" (don't know if it's an english word, but there's a translation issue with the word asexual, as the word "assexuado" is used to define beings that don't have a gender, or is related to sexless reproduction), as everyone has a "sex" when born, and even those who born without genital have a gender in chromossomic level.

Personally, I'm glad we have a bigger perncent of asexuals (even on a small group). I wish I could know the aromantic numbers...

eoliverbetinha

I am the asexuality sociologist researcher who appears from 7:00 to 7:25. The piece was favorable to asexuality, except for some of the comments between the newscaster and those two philosophers. One of them says that it's OK to not feel sexual attraction, but he sees no reason to flaunt it to the rest of the world, to politicize it. The woman doctor who spoke about it is a celebrity psychiatrist from São Paulo University (my university too). Unfortunately asexuality is widely unknow here in Brazil. I don't know any other Brazilian researcher studying it, except for me.

honor is all

Believe me, that Simpsons episode, 100% stereotype. Brazil is not like that at all.

I KNOW it's 100% stereotype. That's what annoyed me about it! :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

the two guys did get a bit jumbled up when trying to dig their way out of their cultural preconceptions!

it's a shame it was such a short piece... more time might have allowed for a more consistent discussion

and elisabete, it was great fun to recognize your face on tv!

Omg, I want to watch it now! (I'm brazillian :D)

Let's see... *watches*

Wow, this is very interesting. It's also my university :)

What I didn't like was the fact that they said it might be a medical problem, but if we stand our grounds and say we have the right to not like sex, we'll never find out if this is an illness after all. <_<