Sometimes I really wish I could be aromantic...

Lia

But that's the stickler right there. "Romance" is a purely cultural thing... it's flowers and chocolates, it's candlelit dinners and walks on the beach. Romantic attraction isn't actually related to the term "romance"... instead, romantic attraction is that which pulls us toward special relationships... whether or not those special relationships include the culturally-flavored "romance" is quite beside the point. In other words, you can have a romantic orientation AND hate romance at the same time.

IDK, even that's tricky. There are certain things people like (see: Snuggling) that I'm not a fan of, but I think a walk on the beach would be more fun. It's to the point where I'm not sure if romanticism is clustered enough to be able to put people into groups.

I'm always hurt by those who I develop romantic feelings for, even when those feelings are returned...at first. I know that some gripe that they'd like to be "normal" just once, but I wish I could just not have the ability to form romantic attachments to anyone, because that would just be easier. I'm perfectly happy on my own. I don't NEED a romantic relationship to be happy with myself and my life, so wouldn't it just be easier if I didn't have to worry about forming those attachments? Maybe I'll work on teaching myself to be aromantic. Perhaps those feelings will still be present within my head and heart, but I can learn to ignore them...right? Wouldn't that just be easier and less painful???

Being aromantic isn't a wonderful thing, in fact I have lost many a ppl I view as friends but have decided they want to be more. They can't handle just a friendship, and I can't force myself to be with them, because along with being an aromantic, I also don't like being touched a whole lot, so I loose the friend, and to me friendships mean ALOT. I don't get romantically attached to ppl and I loose friends because of it.

Perhaps you should be careful what you wish for.... :blink:

Aromanticism is not about relationships or wanting relationships. It's about attraction. The same way that asexuality is not about sex or wanting sex. It's about attraction.

Archived