Is It a Sin?

DarkPolarBear

glitchunter

I don't believe in the concept of sin, you should really consider ditching your religion as it tells you that your very being is wrong. If so, why did "God" create you that way? Ask Father that one.

Seriously though don't worry about religion you are better off without it. Religion allows/promotes for further judgment of yourself and others.

You love that girl, don't worry about sinning or Christianity, just love her. That's all you can do, you cant change it so embrace it. :blush: I'm a girl lover myself (homo-romantic) I can understand the feelings you have as I used to be Christian. <_<

She's not foisting her Christianity on you, so why are you foisting your atheism on her? I find your post rude. I find it especially rude considering that several atheists have posted to this thread without coming off as rude.

The Great WTF

Posted Yesterday, 03:49 AM

You just reminded me why I hate organized religion. I'll never believe that loving someone is a sin. The very idea of an apparently loving and forgiving god damning his creation just for having the audacity to act on the love he created them with makes me sick.

Apologies for the tirade, it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine. As I've said, I don't believe love is a sin no matter who it is you've fallen in love with.

Organized religions do not believe love is a sin. Such a generalized statement is bizarre to me but then, I am reading my Masters in Religion...That thing in the Old Test. thats says "man shall not lay with man..." etc was a product of the historical era, the environment and yes, society has changed its view now so it clashes and causes difficulties. But plz don't confuse this with love, the Bible is full of love and make your own choices and 'whatever you hold on earth I'll honour in Heaven' stuff.

You might be able to tell, but this is also a pet peeve of mine :P I blame studying it for too long - I see arguments everywhere... *runs off to finish that essay I'm avoiding*

I don't believe in the concept of sin, you should really consider ditching your religion as it tells you that your very being is wrong. If so, why did "God" create you that way? Ask Father that one.

Seriously though don't worry about religion you are better off without it. Religion allows/promotes for further judgment of yourself and others.

You love that girl, don't worry about sinning or Christianity, just love her. That's all you can do, you cant change it so embrace it. :blush: I'm a girl lover myself (homo-romantic) I can understand the feelings you have as I used to be Christian. <_<

She's not foisting her Christianity on you, so why are you foisting your atheism on her? I find your post rude. I find it especially rude considering that several atheists have posted to this thread without coming off as rude.

Can we stop being offended for other people? If they found it offensive, they can comment about it.

Not an atheist bro, I am an Agnostic. I believe in A god, just not that hypocrite "God".

Can we stop being offended for other people? If they found it offensive, they can comment about it.

I ever tell you I love you Lonely? Well I do. You tell it like it is.

Batman's Ace

You may want to look up the concept of romantic friendship and see if it fits what you describe. Same-sex romantic friendships were fairly common a while and certainly were not considered a sin, so I don't see why it would be sinful now.

I've read about this. And it makes perfect sense.

What's considered sinful is homosexual acts. Which wouldn't be present in the platonic relationship you've said you want. Loving someone else platonically, even someone of the same sex, is not a sin. The relationship between David and Jonathan comes to mind--and that story's in the Bible and is considered not only okay, but good! Since it sounds like she's hetero, you may never have her all to yourself, but wanting to be an important part of her life and to be acknowledged by her is completely fine.

Maiandra HW

When it comes to matters of faith, I think this is a question you're going to have to answer for yourself.

My personal beliefs, if you're interested: When I was a Christian (I'm not really, anymore) I always pictured God as a supremely good being. As such, I could not imagine why He would be against any type of love. Love is love, and love is good. How could something so good be a sin? How could a supremely good being be against something so good?

I guess, if you aren't sure what you think about homosexual/homoromantic love, you might start by asking yourself, "Why is romantic love between two men, or two women, wrong?" Like, really? Maybe the Bible says so--though I think the Bible only explicitly prohibits sexual relations between two men or two women, though of course I could very easily be wrong--but why does the Bible say so? And are you satisfied with the answers you can come up with?

I hope this post hasn't seemed offensive--was not my intent at all. I hope everything works out, whatever you decide! :)

That is her business. Please be respectful.

Pretty sure that the other person's atheism is her business, too

Generally, when we love someone, we wish the best for them. I can just get that a person might think that converting a loved one to their religion is doing what is best for them.

What I don't get is wishing to bring a loved one around to a belief that makes you think love between you is probably a sin. This just fails to make sense in so many ways.

May I recommend to you this this pamphlet? http://www.psa91.com/pdf/whatthebiblesays.pdf

It approaches the topic from a Christian viewpoint, and is very well written. There are MANY Christian churches that celebrate the love of LGBTQ people, that have gay pastors, and who see no conflict between their faith and feelings. If you love your faith, you do not have to sacrifice it because you disagree with one body's interpretation of it.

On falling for your best friend... that one is harder. Especially if they are the first same-gendered person you've had feelings for. It was similar for me--I actually went to prom with her, as friends. *bangs head in memory* She might be interested, but falling for straight people is like the curse of every gay, lesbian and bi person I know. And it tends to be far more painful for the gay one. Not to discourage you, just to warn warn you.

For me the most important thing to remember (probably easier for me, being part of the LGBTQ community already as a "heterosexual" ally) is not to apply the double standard of unrequited love, however automatic it might feel. I.e. if you fall for a guy who doesn't like you back, people right poems, plays, movies, books, etc. glorifying the pain of it. But if the crush is directed at someone of the same gender who is straight--that's icky, or creepy, or for some reason less OK. *IT IS NO DIFFERENT* repeat it a dozen times over anytime you need to.

And similarly, trying to get people to realize they fall for the wrong people is *really* hard. And watching them do so repeatedly is harder. I can't count how often my mom and I tell my sister to dump the guys that aren't treating her right, but even when she knows they aren't worth it she goes back to them. Over and over. Most often, the best you can do is just support her when she is in a bad place, and try and show her she is worthy of so much better.

Welcome to AVEN--I hope things can work out for you :cake:

Wayland Cybersmith

My church, the Jesus Fellowship, is open to all people, regardless of gender, orientation, or any other factor. People are looked on as being unique creations of God in all respects, and every member is encouraged to pursue a life of love, purity and holiness.

Sin depends on what we think is a sin. I mean, I'm Catholic, but even I feel as thought he bible has archaic laws too old to be applied to a modern day society such as our own

May I recommend to you this this pamphlet? http://www.psa91.com/pdf/whatthebiblesays.pdf

It approaches the topic from a Christian viewpoint, and is very well written. There are MANY Christian churches that celebrate the love of LGBTQ people, that have gay pastors, and who see no conflict between their faith and feelings. If you love your faith, you do not have to sacrifice it because you disagree with one body's interpretation of it.

On falling for your best friend... that one is harder. Especially if they are the first same-gendered person you've had feelings for. It was similar for me--I actually went to prom with her, as friends. *bangs head in memory* She might be interested, but falling for straight people is like the curse of every gay, lesbian and bi person I know. And it tends to be far more painful for the gay one. Not to discourage you, just to warn warn you.

For me the most important thing to remember (probably easier for me, being part of the LGBTQ community already as a "heterosexual" ally) is not to apply the double standard of unrequited love, however automatic it might feel. I.e. if you fall for a guy who doesn't like you back, people right poems, plays, movies, books, etc. glorifying the pain of it. But if the crush is directed at someone of the same gender who is straight--that's icky, or creepy, or for some reason less OK. *IT IS NO DIFFERENT* repeat it a dozen times over anytime you need to.

And similarly, trying to get people to realize they fall for the wrong people is *really* hard. And watching them do so repeatedly is harder. I can't count how often my mom and I tell my sister to dump the guys that aren't treating her right, but even when she knows they aren't worth it she goes back to them. Over and over. Most often, the best you can do is just support her when she is in a bad place, and try and show her she is worthy of so much better.

Welcome to AVEN--I hope things can work out for you :cake:

We need to understand that although these pamphlets are sometimes genuinely good advice if not a bit patronising, they are applied to laws supposedly passed 2000 years ago supposedly by God, and that most do not apply to modern life in the same way as they did in St Paul's time

If you want the answer from a fundamentalist standpoint, it is only a sin if you have sex.

Though, in my personal opinion, I would echo the others' sentiments.

Trava u doma

I'm not Christian, but I have the experience of ten years of "religion" ("religion" = solely Catholicism <_< ) classes and and even more years of regular church-going.

And I just wanted to point out to you, that from what I remember, God never intended people to make judgements about the sins of other people. Actually, to me, the famous quotes 'When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her."' and "Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?" suggest quite the opposite.

In my perception, what the God's servants/church people were supposed to be doing, is to give guidelines on God's words for those who cannot do it for themselves. They are NOT supposed to be the ultimate Judgement authority.

Additionally, if you remember the teachings of Jesus, He Himself did not condemn sinners in his behaviour to them. No, quite the opposite. They were sinners, yes, but it didn't mean he treated them as less of a person (less of a people? lol). Christians who are quick to shame others for their "sins" apparently forgot part of their religion. Which was supposed to be a religion of love, not hate.

Anyway, as I said - those are GUIDELINES. Human interpretation, nothing more. And humans can be wrong, really, even if they don't intend to. Do you know the Decalogue? Do you see anything about homo-anything there? So why are you so worried? What parts of the bible make you believe that what you're doing is "wrong" in the eyes of God?

And, as someone said already, I can understand that you want all the best for your friend, which includes her "going to heaven", but if I were you I would seriously wonder if I want to make her into a homophobe. (Although, I have to agree with someone else, in that that I believe converting people to anything isn't particularly okay - if that's what you're doing)

And, lastly, again - don't get yourself into thinking your love is reciprocated, unless she tells you so. It probably isn't. But you know what? We're not really all unique - if there is your friend, then most probably there are other people who are pretty much like her. So, don't worry =) And you can always stay great friends =)

And, god gracious, I've just noticed... Is the age in your profile correct? If so, don't take it the wrong way, but you have still a lot of time to worry about things like that =)

DarkPolarBear

Is there any possible way to close this topic? I have worked everything out, she is understanding and we are discussing everything, the situation is looking up, and I would like to close this topic.

Actually your kind of right I apologize for being insensitive. DarkPolarBear if you see this forgive me as I got carried away with my own opinion. I should have been gentler with my words. :blush:

Is there any possible way to close this topic? I have worked everything out, she is understanding and we are discussing everything, the situation is looking up, and I would like to close this topic.

No need too -- generally threads aren't closed unless there's something really bad going on. Just ignore it.

Sometimes threads carry on far beyond the point where the OP is active in the thread because the issue is interesting to people.

GirlDreamer

Topic locked as requested by the OP

GirlDreamer

Asexual Relationships moderator

Archived