Heavy Bananarama

test account

Midnight Lady

I'd rather a leader be cool headed than warm hearted.

How likely do you think it is that someone would have both? I'm on the fence about it...

I would say personally that very unlikely

That's my guess too... I'm sure if I think hard enough i could come up with an example of someone who has both.

Oh hahahaha! Do you watch The Ghost Whisperer? Melinda Gordon is kinda both, but then she's fictional. It's easier to be perfect when you're fictional.

Midnight Lady

That's my guess too... I'm sure if I think hard enough i could come up with an example of someone who has both.

Oh hahahaha! Do you watch The Ghost Whisperer? Melinda Gordon is kinda both, but then she's fictional. It's easier to be perfect when you're fictional.

I have the same thought... ;)

Is there really such a thing as perfection, or is it just an elusive concept? (I personally believe it's the latter).

Midnight Lady

Is there really such a thing as perfection, or is it just an elusive concept? (I personally believe it's the latter).

Elusive concept

Midnight Lady

I think it would require a little bit of arrogance to be a good leader, to be totally sure that of all the options, you are making, not necessarily the best decision, but nevertheless a sound decision. My idea of leadership is that you don't stand at the front of the group, you stand at the back. Though you might provide them with a basic framework, you let the group set the pace and the direction, and as leader you back them up, provide them with the tools they need and alert them to things they need to see so they can reach their goals. You facilitate communication and encourage ideas. You manage the dissenters, encouraging them to join the ranks or depart in peace, and if an enemy threatens you take it upon yourself to repel them so that your group can go on working in peace and security.

Well, that's my theory anyway. Probably a bit different in real life. Maybe it's more about management style than leadership, though I'm not sure if there's a lot of difference? Is leadership and management the same thing?

That sounds interesting. But it is good for maximum 3 people. :) The more people involved, the more opinions and desires and other characteristics a leader/manager has to deal with. That's why I honestly feel sorry for politicians... Looking at how they try to make everyone satisfied more or less, when it is impossible from the very onset...

I would assume that managers ARE leaders... Leaders sound more like something about politics or something... and managers are more about business... But then again - it is my view at these 2 words... :)

I think a leader would have to be self confident, calm in a crisis and know what their goals are-both for themselves and for the group.

Midnight Lady

Yes, it's easier in a small group. But have you noticed that as groups get bigger, people tend to form clumps? It's like we know our individual voice will be lost if we don't have the support of others who feel the same. So the clumps kind of categorize the people I suppose. The biggest clump I think is usually the one that contains complacent people who only want to know they won't be eating less tomorrow than they are today. Which is not a bad way to be I hasten to add--those people help to keep things stable.

I've gone on so long now that I'm starting to confuse myself.

Looks to me like democracy... The power of the majority... ;) God help those who will be in a minority!

Hi, I'm more on-again, off-again poster, but the subject of sociopathy interested me.

From a purely philosophical standpoint (or whatever point, it's late in the US nao), what would be the difference between Asperger's, and sociopathy? I've often wondered if I'm considered sociopathic due to being unable to "get" emotions, and the times that I feel a bit "out of place" at funerals and other such emotional settings, but I do have the desire to connect.

The way I see it, a sociopathic personality is less concerned with wanting to connect, while an autist/aspergian is simply unable to connect. I wonder, though, if sociopathy is so often confused with AS because of the seemingly uncaring attitude of those with AS. Is sociopathy simply the lack of emotions, or is there another facet that must be present, such as not feeling the drive to understand others?

Midnight Lady

Hi, I'm more on-again, off-again poster, but the subject of sociopathy interested me.

From a purely philosophical standpoint (or whatever point, it's late in the US nao), what would be the difference between Asperger's, and sociopathy? I've often wondered if I'm considered sociopathic due to being unable to "get" emotions, and the times that I feel a bit "out of place" at funerals and other such emotional settings, but I do have the desire to connect.

The way I see it, a sociopathic personality is less concerned with wanting to connect, while an autist/aspergian is simply unable to connect. I wonder, though, if sociopathy is so often confused with AS because of the seemingly uncaring attitude of those with AS. Is sociopathy simply the lack of emotions, or is there another facet that must be present, such as not feeling the drive to understand others?

Hey! Well, a person with autistic spectrum often fails to understand the social context, all those delicate nuances and half-tones of communication. Such person will believe when someone says "Yes, it's been nice to see you. Feel free to drop by any time!". But the intonation of the speaker will show that it is just a mere politeness. A person with autistic spectrum disorder will fail to hear that behind the words. It is not the lack of empathy. It is more the lack of social competence (inability to get sarcasm is also considered to be a classical symptom). Sociaopath is actually quite brilliant in social situations. They won't feel pain of the other person, but they will be able to understand a variety of emotions: they will see that someone is happy, angry, upset, and so on. But they won't actually care.

Yes, it's easier in a small group. But have you noticed that as groups get bigger, people tend to form clumps? It's like we know our individual voice will be lost if we don't have the support of others who feel the same. So the clumps kind of categorize the people I suppose. The biggest clump I think is usually the one that contains complacent people who only want to know they won't be eating less tomorrow than they are today. Which is not a bad way to be I hasten to add--those people help to keep things stable.

Looks to me like democracy... The power of the majority... ;) God help those who will be in a minority!

The power of the majority is ok when one of their concerns and priorities is the rights of the minorities.

Beachwalker

Links please to latest season of ghost whisperer :)

No problem! It's not on the air anymore... maybe last year it ended? I never watched it while it was on, but it's on Netflix and I've gotten addicted. It's a pretty embarrassing guilty pleasure... most episodes end with a major tug at the heartstrings, and mine are always willing and able to comply. I cry at the end of 75% of them lol.

Here's a link to Ghost Whisperer download options. I think seasons 2-4 are best but I don't really know since I've watched them all totally out of order like a dummy. :blush:

CompassRose

The power of the majority is ok when one of their concerns and priorities is the rights of the minorities.

Yeah, the "tyranny of the majority" is why the Bill of Rights is so important. There must be institutions in place to protect minorities from the majority.

Totally unfettered democracy is as totalitarian as actual totalitarianism. Just to part of the population instead of the whole population. But if you happen to be part of the minority, there's no effective difference.

Beachwalker

No problem! It's not on the air anymore... maybe last year it ended? I never watched it while it was on, but it's on Netflix and I've gotten addicted. It's a pretty embarrassing guilty pleasure... most episodes end with a major tug at the heartstrings, and mine are always willing and able to comply. I cry at the end of 75% of them lol.

Here's a link to Ghost Whisperer download options. I think seasons 2-4 are best but I don't really know since I've watched them all totally out of order like a dummy. :blush:

Cheers my daughter will be very pleased too, it's a show we used to watch together but it's not been on for ages.

@sweetex why did you delete your post?

oneofthesun

Or lawyers... We talked about them... How can they sleep at night after they have defended someone like Ted Bandi?...

I know a defense lawyer and it's really quite simple. The lawyer just makes the argument; it's up to the judge/jury whether they believe it or not. They are the ones who really bear the responsibility for whatever happens. And if the decision does go wrong, the legal system offers several chances for appeal or judicial review.

There are times when defense lawyers know perfectly well the argument they're making is a load of crap, but it doesn't matter because that's what they're paid to do. They're not paid to make decisions.

Midnight Lady

Or lawyers... We talked about them... How can they sleep at night after they have defended someone like Ted Bandi?...

I know a defense lawyer and it's really quite simple. The lawyer just makes the argument; it's up to the judge/jury whether they believe it or not. They are the ones who really bear the responsibility for whatever happens. And if the decision does go wrong, the legal system offers several chances for appeal or judicial review.

There are times when defense lawyers know perfectly well the argument they're making is a load of crap, but it doesn't matter because that's what they're paid to do. They're not paid to make decisions.

Yeah, that was what we kinda came up with. The diffusion of responsibility. They just take it away from themselves. Especially, when they do know that the person committed the crime. But I personally can't imagine myself doing it: defending someone like T. Bandi and alike, trying to use all my skills to ask for no punishment or for the minimum punishment. After all, that what makes a good lawyer: the skill to persuade and manipulate with the evidence and witnesses and stuff. And after that, I will come home and go like "Yeeees, I did it! The judge and the jury decided Not Guilty because I am so skilled!".

With all my respect to lawyers, by the way. :) But yes, criminal law is something where a person should be able to switch off all his conscience, and just use the changed worldview (like Skull said, changed at schools and practicums and so on).

WOW I see you guys have embraced the sociopathy topic.

In England in order to be diagnosed with a Personality Disorder,you have to "suffer" from at least 4 of the symptoms from said P.D.

I was diagnozed with Schizo-typal P.D. 2 years ago.Because of some symptoms dissapearing I was subsequently re-evaluated and given a new diagnosis of Schizoid and borderline Anti-social(the now more PC term for Sociopathy)P.D.

The reason it was borderline was I suffer from 3.5% of the symptoms,but as some symptoms from Schizoid mimmick Anti-social,then Dex baffled the little buggars and an out and out Sociopathy diagnosis was,thankfully,rebuffed.

I have only a tiny bit of Conscience.I do not suffer from guilt or remorse,in the way that most average(I'm not calling you average I just mean normal)people do.I don't see people as possessions like a lot of Socio's do and I am obviously not a billionaire,self made,gained by standing on the backs of everyone,fucking them over in the process.

I certainly do not want to come off as some sort of as monster,shit,I would like to meet you guys at some time,so it is probably best if I don't go into my motivations.I had a recent disscusion with a C.P.N. (community psychiatric nurse) about wether or not bin laden was a Sociopath.It started quite the disscussion.

Thanks for listening guys.

Beachwalker

Sorry for the interruption but I have some heavy news on the banana front. I have returned from camping today to the smell of fermenting bananas which have been pillaged by the local rats, possums, fruit bats and birds and left in a mushy mess of some digested some undigested on my verandah. My banana trees are too high maintenance and must go! They are no longer welcome. I could have picked the fruit but I used as much as I could and gave away as much as I could and throwing it in the bin felt like a waste, a rather heavy conundrum I know. I am not sure if this is the right place to be posting this, please feel free to split it from this thread :)

Sorry for the interruption but I have some heavy news on the banana front. I have returned from camping today to the smell of fermenting bananas which have been pillaged by the local rats, possums, fruit bats and birds and left in a mushy mess of some digested some undigested on my verandah. My banana trees are too high maintenance and must go! They are no longer welcome. I could have picked the fruit but I used as much as I could and gave away as much as I could and throwing it in the bin felt like a waste, a rather heavy conundrum I know. I am not sure if this is the right place to be posting this, please feel free to split it from this thread :)

It sounds like Dex the handy man needs to be donning his lumberjack cap.I taught Axe safety(watch out you up above you may be my boss for the second time,but I can quite easily shut this thread down if you go wielding that Axe of your's.I'm watching)when I was an instructor in the Scouts and as my old man refuses to accept that banana tress will thrive in Sunny England,how's about I lop it down and take it back to blighty.And anyway its most unfair that you have bananas growing in your garden,which sounds everyday more like an episode from the latest David Attenborough nature extravaganza.

I came to this thread thinking it might be about the 1980s cheesy pop band...oops :P

By the way DexM, it is indeed possible to grow banana trees in *cough* sunny England, we have one in our front garden. Rather unhelpfully though, the fruit is produces is inedible as it is the wrong sort of banana tree.

Beachwalker

Does conscience even exist really? Isn't it more just a social construction that guides the minds decision making process? Is it possible that some people just care more than others? Do people who proudly commit barbaric acts in countries where these acts are considered normal cultural practices lack a conscience?

I came to this thread thinking it might be about the 1980s cheesy pop band...oops :P

By the way DexM, it is indeed possible to grow banana trees in *cough* sunny England, we have one in our front garden. Rather unhelpfully though, the fruit is produces is inedible as it is the wrong sort of banana tree.

*An almighty din is emmanating from Dex's bedroom as he hurredly packs his hanky on a stick looking forward to the adventure set out before him.He thinks to himself "just like Bilbo Baggins I am" except for he know's what he is looking for.A piece of the World he lives in,England,and a place where Bananas can grow.Or not as the case may be.But my friends,hope springs eternal.I just hope I don't bump into any filty Orkses.*

Archived