Allergics, anyone ?

Heimdall

Allergies "A la carte", which one do you have ?  

1 member has voted

1. 1.

• Pollens
    • Animals (which one(s), then ?)
    • Foods (which ones ?)
    • Wasps, bees, ants, etc
    • Dust, acarinas, moulds
    • Asthma
    • More than one of the aboves (specify which then, please)
    • I'm not allergic to anything

This poll is closed to new votes

Since I'm prone to speak about the littles problems of my life right now (I promise I'll speak about much funnier things soon), why not start a rant about allergies ?

Basically, I'm allergic to dust and acarinas. But later I also developped an allergy to pollens, and I have a recurrent issue with urticaria, which make me need antihistaminics every once in in few days. :oops: (which is the colour I get without antihistaminic)

By the way, I also have a difficulty to breathe (don't ask me then why I have mitigated feelings about sports), yet nothing like asthma.

Let me now I'm not alone !

Cate Perfect

*goes to tick the 'none' box* Uh...

May I add a 'I'm allergic to nothing' option?

Cate

Cate Perfect

*adds box* *ticks it*

Cate

Kombucha2000

no known allergies. Thank god I'm not allergic to dust or mold, cuz I'm certainly not a clean freak....

I do tend to get sinus problems, usually in the winter.

SpinningIdolStar

I put more than one of those above.

I'm pretty sure I'm mildly asthmatic, but I haven't yet seen a doctor about it.

I'm sneezy/coughy/eye watery allergic to dust (wheat dust in particular), molds, and most pollens.

I have mild intolerances of several foods, in particular spicy foods and coconut (of all things). These usually make me feel like I'm going to die through combination headaches and stomach cramps.

-Trey

Dust, mould, mildew can make me itchy - it used to be a major problem. Then I had children and it's very mild now.

My son has bad allergies though - dust we think.

hawke

I have no actual allergies, but I do tend to tell people I'm allergic to aspertame, since it's a lot easier than telling them I'm phenylketonuric, then explaining what phenylketonuria is.

Pollen.

Dust.

Mould.

Ibuprofen.

Penicillin. (to a slight degree)

Fun.

Oh, shit, I forgot two.

Sunscreen

Make-up

Awww, Cate wrecked my fun! But that's okay.

I also have none, thank god.... but when I was young, I had a series of ear infections, so they crammed me so full of antibiotics that I became allergic to EVERYTHING for a few years. Then Dr Michelson (still remember his name... what a miracle worker!) put me on a horrendously strict diet for a year and all my allergies dissipated.

Woops. There are people who are *not* allergic to anything ? :oops:

Well, thanks Cate, absent-mindedness, as usual, is my cup of tea.

My mum is allergic to penicilin too. In fact I got all my allergies from her, since my dad has none; but I didn't got all her allergies, fortunately.

Dust, though I didn't get it worked out until last summer. I used to keep feeling I just had a cold, but it wasn't that at all.

I may also be developing a Sculpey allergy, but I sure as hell hope not...

I'm not sure that allergies are genetic though. They may pre-dispose you to getting the allergy, but I dont believe they are passed down.

*Starts counting on fingers*

Pollen

Dust

Mold

Fragrances (all types)

Penicillin

Sulfa

Crab meat

Bananas (mildly)

Apples (ditto)

Pet dander

Cig smoke

Milk (mildly now)

And I have mild asthma.

I think that was more items than I have fingers. :lol:

I'm allergic to only three things, but they're three very big things:

Bees (give me hives, harhar)

Peroxide (gives me chemical burn, makes it a bit tough to dye my hair the lovely purple it normally is)

And I'm also gluten intolerant, and while it isn't exactly an allergy, most people just say that I'm 'allergic to wheat.' Really, though, it's wheat, rye, barley, and oats. Makes eating at restaurants very interesting :roll:

The Evil Cashew

i'm not allergic to anything that i know off. i hope it stays that way.

~Cashew

Miss_Moneypenny

I have all sorts of allergies. These vary from a mild intolerance to some pretty nasty symptoms, but fortunately I've only ever once had a life-threatening reaction to something and that was one of the regular baby jabs (the diptheria vaccine). My wise parents never consented to have me vaccinated against anything else after that.

The foods I have to avoid are: wheat, cow's milk, sugar (all forms), yeast and anything else mould or fungus-based, anything fermented and several types of additives. This can be difficult, especially when eating out or when having to rely on ready made meals due to pressure of time. Most things seem to contain wheat, which is the thing that causes the worst reaction in me. It's not just a simple case of avoiding bread and pasta. It's the things you don't think about - breadcrumbs on chicken, gravy, stuffing, powdered soups etc.

The lack of dietary awareness REALLY annoys me. I'm by no means the only person to have wheat allergies etc. Yet restaurants go on catering to vegetarians and those on slimming diets (which are lifestyle choices) and have very little to offer people like me who don't have a choice about what they have to avoid.

I'm also allergic to house dust/mites, insect bites and perfume. I had to ask a student of mine not to wear perfume in the classroom as I don't even have to be able to consciously smell it to start having an allergic reaction. She was very rude and said the scent was only mild, and as she came straight from work she couldn't wear no perfume. I found this attitude ignorant in the extreme.

Cate Perfect
I had to ask a student of mine not to wear perfume in the classroom as I don't even have to be able to consciously smell it to start having an allergic reaction. She was very rude and said the scent was only mild, and as she came straight from work she couldn't wear no perfume. I found this attitude ignorant in the extreme.

I find this particular allergy interesting, because you don't hear about it very often. There was a teacher in the States who had her school install a fan like device on her door so it kept her room from being 'contaminated' by out side smells. I was wondering--does that allergy include strongly scented soaps and washing powders? I would guess that whatever gives those things their smell (and some perfumes stink like anything) would be the same in all 'good' smelling products.

Cate

I am allergic to most kinds of fur-bearing animals, as well as products made from them like wool and lanolin.

It generally isn't too severe except for a few species that I have become sensitized to, like cats, dogs, rabbits, and guinea pigs. Birds don't bother me, thankfully.

Ironically, my very first job was as a dog groomer! I was okay with poodles, but a golden retriever ended up sending me to the emergency room at the local hospital. That's when I found out I was allergic to fur.

Prior to that I had had a pet guinea pig that I dearly loved. Nobody ever made any connection between that and the itchy hives and raw skin that covered most of my body. They thought it was just a stubborn case of eczema. But, with 20/20 hindsight ..... :oops:

-Greybird

I was wondering--does that allergy include strongly scented soaps and washing powders? I would guess that whatever gives those things their smell (and some perfumes stink like anything) would be the same in all 'good' smelling products.

Cate

Does for me, anyway.

• 1 month later...
Princess Brat

Pollen

Hazelnuts

Perfum and things that are perfumed like scented soaps, laundry detergent and so on.

Smoke

I also have asthma.

I became allergic to pollen when I was about 6 years old, my other allergies have come later in life.

In theory I have no allergies, but I believe I have a mild one to dust... sometimes I feel really bad when I'm cleaning the house... but if I have it its definitely mild considering all the dirt we have around, lol.

There was a time when I couldn't use my regular deodorant in my room either because I'd be sneezing for hours afterwards, that disapperared though :roll:

Wow, if this was a contest I'd win it hands down, though it's not something I care to win.

I have severe asthma; frequent hives; infrequent anaphylactic shock, and lots of things connected to allergies.

I am allergic to:

Food --

Pineapple

tree nuts (severe)

chocolate (severe)

milk (really minor)

soy (minor compared to my childhood days)

Plants/Molds--

mold particularly asperilligus (sp?, severe),

palm trees

ragweed

oak and most trees

grasses

echinacea (sp?)

cotton blooms

sorghum pollen (or whatever it gives off)

soy plant pollen

pine trees

dust

dust mites (ok not plants but related)

cockroach droppings (learned that from teaching!)

Medicine--

Zithromax

Animals--Cats (severe)

Horses (severe, strange for sure)

Dogs (only some)

Chemicals (which don't actually count as an allergy because they don't actually contain living things or protein or something else that makes them allergies)--

Cigarette smoke

Cotton defoliant

Cholorine

Bacquacil (sp?)

Formaldehyde (sp?)

Archived