• Male, lost it between 21-30
    • Male, lost it between 31-40
    • Male, lost it 41+
    • Female, lost it between 0-20
    • Female, lost it between 21-30
    • Female, lost it between 31-40
    • Female, lost it 41+

This poll is closed to new votes

Well, however way you want to define it, I haven't done ANYTHING, so I'm still covered by safe blanket terms. ;)

Me too.

Reply to borrowedTime

I disagree that you only lose your virginity when you orgasm.

I was in a sexual relationship for several years before I realised how much I hate sex, and I have never orgasmed (probably because I just used to lay there and wish it was all over), and there is no way I can call myself a virgin even though i've never reached orgasm. So no, virginity is not just lost when you orgasm (by whatever means).

:oops:

In my opinion, you lose your virginity when you first have vaginal or anal sex, not oral sex or something else like that.

bard of aven

I'm copying this over here because this is really where it belongs.

Well, since we are talking about virginity in the What is Sex? thread, I wonder how long it will be before we start talking about sex in the virginity thread.

Oh. Wait. I already did...

Merriam-Webster Unabridged wrote:

1 a : an unmarried or chaste woman noted in the early Christian Church for her piety and steadfast service to her faith and accorded by virtue of these qualities a special place among the members of the Christian community b : an unmarried woman devoted to a deity in a celibate life of service within a religious temple *the Inca virgins of the Sun*

2 a : a usually young woman noted for purity and chastity b : a young unmarried woman

3 : a person who has not had sexual intercourse

4 usually capitalized : VIRGO

5 : a picture of a madonna

6 : a female animal that has never copulated

O.E.D wrote:

I. 1. Eccl. An unmarried or chaste maiden or woman, distinguished for piety or steadfastness in religion, and regarded as having a special place among the members of the Christian church on account of these merits.

Chiefly used with reference to early Christian times.

2. a. A woman (esp. a young woman) who is, or remains, in a state of inviolate chastity; an absolutely pure maiden or maid.

In early use chiefly of the Virgin Mary: cf. 4 and 5.

b. An old maid, a spinster.

c. transf. Of things.

d. Virginity. (After 1 Cor. vii. 37.) rare.

e. Entom. A female insect producing fertile eggs by parthenogenesis. (Cf. 13g.)

f. transf. A naïve, innocent, or inexperienced person. Freq. with adj. indicating sphere of activity. colloq.

3. a. A young woman, a maid or maiden, of an age and character affording presumption of chastity.

b. In allusions to the parable of the wise and foolish virgins (Matt. xxv. 1–13).

4. a. the Virgin Mary, the mother of Christ. Also, an image or picture representing her.

b. attrib., or in possessive, in popular names of plants (see quots.); also (after Gaelic use) Virgin Mary's nut, the Bonduc or Molucca nut.

c. Virgin Mary [after bloody Mary s.v. bloody a. and adv. C. 2], a glass of tomato juice (see quots.). Chiefly U.S.

5. a. the Virgin (also the blessed, holy, etc., Virgin), = sense 4.

b. A picture or image of the Virgin Mary; a madonna.

6. A person of either sex remaining in a state of chastity. Usually in pl.

7. A youth or man who has remained in a state of chastity.

8. Astr. (With capital initial.) = Virgo.

9. a. ellipt. Applied to varieties of apple and pear.

b. Ent. Applied to species of moths and butterflies.

10. A cigarette made of Virginia tobacco. slang. Now Obs. or rare.

11. attrib. and Comb., as virgin-birth, -born adj., -produced adj., -violator, -worship; virgin-bower = virgin's bower; virgin-stock, the Virginia stock; virgin-tree, Oriental sassafras.

12. In possessive collocations: virgin's garland, a garland of flowers and coloured paper formerly carried at the funeral of a maiden; †virgin's honey, -oil, = virgin honey, oil (see 18b); †virgin's sea = Virginian sea Virginian a.1 1d; Virgin's spike (see spike n.1 1b); †virgin's thread (see quot.)..

(Aren't you glad I left out the dozens of citations??? And the adjective defs???)

My point being, that serious lexicographers describe the way the language is used, not how they think it should be used. And in these two, senses and meanings of words tend to be listed in the order in which they came into usage.

boa

Miss_Moneypenny

Female, and never did.

I got selected for a training program in the States for which the entry requirements were very, very strict, and I had to fill in a life history. One of the questions included listing out all the sexual partners you had had. (I think the point of this was to make sure that the person hadn't done anything illegal or hadn't got a history of promiscuity.) Anyway, I answered the question "None". This was queried both by the college and my sponsors. In fact, the man looking after my application said, "Nothing at all? Not even kissing?" When I reasserted this truth, he said, "It's all right, you know."

Yes, I know it's "all right" to have relationships, and I would have disclosed any if there had BEEN any to disclose. Sometimes I just feel like I'm made out to be a saddo who can't get any.

Cate Perfect

Miss Moneypenny, I think I would have laughed out loud. Did you? Maybe from shock. 'HARHARHAR! Yeah, I KNOW it's all right to have relationships. Thanks, Mom.' It's so bizarre that they'd ask for that info.

At least they believed you. I don't think it's out of the question that you'd end up being interviewed by someone going, 'Oh, come ON! Everyone has relationships. Really, how many people? C'mon, tell me or we'll be here all day.'

Cate

female, haven't.

If I had done, it would have been at 18. I went to a ball with a date. I got drunk. We went back to my room. I remember lying on my bed, naked. I remember him naked with me. I remember thinking that I could finally be "normal". Then I thought things through a bit more and realised that I didn't want to go through with it. I laid things on a bit strong at this point. I told him to get out and that if he tried to take things any further I would accuse him of rape. Which was a bit mean as I had been encouraging him til this stage, but I wanted the quickest possible way to get him out of the room and, fair play, he got the message.

Male (22), never lost and never will lose it. I have no desire, so if I would ever get a chance, I think I would be phisically unable to do it.

::raises hand:: Soon to be 25 year old female, never had and don't plan to. This reminds me of joke I read once...

A woman in her eighties was extremely proud of the fact that she was still a virgin. She made arrangements for her funeral in advance, and told the gravestone makers these instructions: Put "Returned to God as she came into the world" on her gravestone. Well, the day finally came when she passed away. When the makers of the gravestone went to make the stone, they got lazy. The gravestone simply said, "Returned unopened"

bard of aven

I've answeed the poll (quite early on, actually) but Im not saying how, for reasons I AVENblogged about yesterday.

boa

I'm female and I haven't lost it. I keep it in a box with other precious things....

Male and mine's also still in its original packaging in the box with all the other stuff I have no use for but don't want to throw away. Who knows, maybe it'll become a collectable one day?

I'm hoping to beat Tesla's record...

I was going to say virginity is a state of mind, but I despise those who claim a 'second virginity'. Look, maybe you had sex and regretted it, but live with it. It was what happened. If you want to claim a 'sexual rebirth' or something along those lines, great. But you're NOT a virgin just because you say so!

Dammit!! My dreams are ruined! Oh well.

I don't think that orgasming is a factor in virginity at all. I suppose from a male perspective it might be a question because males generally do orgasm. But many females will never have an orgasm in their life no matter how much sex they have or how long they go. It really isn't all that easy for females to orgasm, and tons of females fake it.

anyway, lost mine at 16 (closer to 17). and would never do it now that I know I'm a.

I'm 19 female, and still have it (or that's how I see it, at least) I do think I'll probably lose it "someday" though, just not now :lol:

[This entry contains specific descriptive language about sexual activities.]

The only person I've ever done anything sexual with was another woman, but she just touched me, and I didn't orgasm (I made her stop), so I'm not counting it as losing my virginity. Maybe if she had penetrated me I would count it, but not that way. It's hard to tell between to girls, I think it's too subjective.

By the way, I have a friend that thinks you have 2, one for boys and another for girls, but I don't agree with her.

PeterMacKenzie

21, male.

I lost it at 16 with a female in strictly mechanical terms. I had coitus with her on a few occasions, but never orgasmed, or indeed felt any sensation at all. She was 19 BTW. I was doing it out of curiosity to see what there was to see, but was rather confused and dissapointed it all.

I tried again at 17-18 when 26 year old female picked me up in a bar, but again, no orgasm, pleasurable sensations or anything else. I haven't bothered since.

Never have, never will. Still a virgin by even the most conservative definitions.

Would someone be so kind as to describe (discreetly) what 'dry sex' refers to? It's been bugging me, and so has my overactive imagination. :shock:

I understand that if your first sexual encounter was not consentual, you would still want to be considered a virgin afterwards. But isn't one of the horrible things about rape and sexual assault the fact that it deflowers the victim, that it ruins virginity? I'd just like to know y'all's thoughts . . .

dry sex is like having sex when you're still clothed (I think) so it's basically not full intercourse. Yeah, I think I blocked it out of my mind, but I think I had a lot of that. *resumes blocking*

Cate Perfect
I understand that if your first sexual encounter was not consentual, you would still want to be considered a virgin afterwards. But isn't one of the horrible things about rape and sexual assault the fact that it deflowers the victim, that it ruins virginity? I'd just like to know y'all's thoughts . . .

I think that a person who has been raped is still a virgin. Not medically--and they should be checked out for STIs--but I still think they're virgins. It just doesn't seem right to say to a person who has been violated in that way that they've also lost something important like that.

Cate

Male, did it at 18. Stopped at 18. Not planning on going back to it. Interesting poll, I like the groupings.

On a side note, Christians in the Middle Ages thought that you could reclaim your virginity. It was mostly for people who wanted to become nuns/monks/bishops/etc. Women who bore children could do it. The History Channel's History of Sex is informative, indeed!

Still a virgin at 40...

I simply don't have the ability to lose it.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Even though, by the definition provided I am still a virgin, I don't see myself a virgin anymore. Goodbye virginity :( 8)

Damn, I am the only male who lost in that age group. Hope others will join.

Female physiologically, virgin intacto ('hymen never broken') 58 years old and never seen the point of the whole sex thing *personally* (yeah, I do see a certain evolutionary & biologic/ logical necessity...)

So anyway, on to more interesting things: what was the weather like where you are?

I'm 26 (turned last month) and still a virgin. I've never had a boyfriend. I've never understood the point of the whole sex, romance, and relationship things.

I was distracted and accidentally answered this, and incorrectly! I'm sorry. Subtract one from Male 0-20... add one to Male never, but I think too much is being made about this this.

I don't think non-consensual things, and/or uncomfortably coerced, should EVER count in this determination.

Cate Perfect
And I find the word virginity automatically puts you in a state when people sees you as being “innocent and pure”. And fleck that! I aint innocent nor pure.

RIGHT ON!!

Sometimes I forget I have never had sex, because its not important to me anymore. It’s just like someone would ask you: have you ever been to Disney World? And then I remember, ooh yeah Disney World, that place everyone thinks its wonderfull and everyone wants to visit it at least ones in their lifetime.

First, I LOVE that metaphor. 'Sex: just like Disney World--not nearly as fun as they make it out to be.'

I know what you mean about 'forgetting' you haven't. Someone asks and you think, 'Of COURSE I have--everyone has...oh wait a minute...'

I haven't done much, but what I have done was so long ago I can't remember it with any clarity. Which seems strange to me. You'd think you'd remember quite well something like physical contact. Guess not if you're thinking the entire time, 'BOY I wish I was someplace else!'

So basically my point of view is, virginity counts more when you put a personal value to yourself if there is a difference in you when u have sex and when you do not.

Having sex or not having sex doesn’t make you more or less valuable.

*seconds all that*

Cate

Archived