Curious...What exactly is demi-romantic?

BlonDee

Just wondering, what exactly is the definition of demi-romantic or

what does demi-romantic mean to you? Most of the time I feel aromantic

but every once in a while, I do get a crush. Perhaps I am demi-romantic?

Thanks guys!

Pandora's Fox

To me, it's romantic attraction only after one develops a bond. For example, squish > friend > crush and romantic attraction. Something like that anyway.

I'm still unsure I'm demiromantic, but there is someone who I have at least a major squish on (and is a friend). For me it's only likely after that stage.

well i can only speak for myself, but for me it means i need to be good friends with someone before i develop any kind of crush ^_^ . This is more than just getting to know someone, i have to spend time talking to them and building a kind of emotional connection :wub: .

If you don’t feel that fits for you, perhaps your grey-romantic which is a more catch all term meaning anything between fully romantic and completely aromantic, this can be how strong the romantic feelings are, how common they are or only if specific criteria are met (like demi ^_^ ) here is a link to the aven wiki page on grey-A, romantic orientation is kind of a mirror (i know bad wording :ph34r: ) of sexual orientation just substitute sex for romance ^_^

Hope this helps :cake:

I may be a demiromantic. I don't usually feel it, but I've felt romantic attraction for two friends in the past. But also, infrequently, people I knew less well.

But theoretically, since one might assume to feel romantic attraction for someone, you have to know them, at least to some extent, and so that might make most romantics demiromantics.

Notte stellata

But theoretically, since one might assume to feel romantic attraction for someone, you have to know them, at least to some extent, and so that might make most romantics demiromantics.

This is how "demiromantic" confuses me. Romantic attraction is different from sexual attraction in that you have to know the person's personality, interests, views, etc. to like them. Seeing it this way, it's kind of hard to draw the line between romantics and demiromantics.

When I was younger I could experience romantic attraction to someone I barely knew, or only knew a small part of the whole person, but that's because I was naive. Now I don't think I can have romantic feelings for someone without knowing them very well (usually by being friends with them).

There have been a discussions on demiromanticism before (the one I remember the most is here), and the main point of contention is whether or not romantic attraction can be divided into primary and secondary attraction. Is it possibly to see someone across a room or be introduced to them and feel romantic attraction towards them? Isn't that what love at first sight is?

I think most romantics feel both - sometimes they're attracted to people immediately, or relatively soon after meeting them, and other times it's after they've been friends with someone for a while. Most probably fall somewhere in between. Demiromantics only feel the second type. No instantaneous crushes or crushes from afar. They have to know the person very well before the romantic attraction develops.

Archived