Marriage counseling for mixed couples

TAfan

Sexual male here married to asexual wife I believe. I want to introduce her to AVEN before we have "The Talk" but I was wondering if anybody has tried marriage counseling or sex counseling? We've been to marriage counseling before but had to discontinue for scheduling conflicts. And we never got in depth to talk about sex. Communication has always been a problem, and my wife clams up when the subject of sex comes up. For 15 years I've thought the problem was me (not sexy or romantic enough) and have tried everything to increase sexual frequency. I now know that I cannot change her. I want to try counseling again and maybe ease the pain/confusion we have. I'm just wondering has therapy worked for you?

Yes i've tried that with my wife. The councelling system "relate" didn't acknowledge that asexuality existed and developed our councelling based on physchosexual councelling which my wife failed to get into. Eventually, after another week of her not doing her 'homework' due to apathy, I decided to call it quits.

So not a terribly good result.

Three sessions here...when sex came up, he never went back (this was years ago though). I do think if you had a therapist that acknowledged asexuality you might have some good results, maybe they could help with the communication issue.

Good luck and welcome to AVEN. :)

My partner and I have been seeing a counselor on a monthly basis for a few months now. She wasn't really familiar with asexuality, but she has helped with some communication issues and insecurities.

Archived