What's the percentage of asexuals in the world?

Bellaitalia

I'm just curious what the percentage is. Sometimes I feel like it's way too rare for me to be asexual and that it can't be possible. I seriously wish there was a brain scan or some sort of test to tell you your orientation. At one point, I was so confused and felt as if I could be ANYTHING. From straight, bi, gay, asexual. Seriously it's scary not knowing what you are. It makes so much more sense saying im asexual. Solves sooo many problems for me. Although it makes me sad and relieved at the same time.

Radioactive Goat

I've heard statistics say around 1% of the world population. Still seems a little too high, in my opinion (1% of the entire world is a lot of people).

yeah, not sure where you're from, but think about your town population. I live in Ottawa which has a million people. 1% of a million is 10,000. Ten THOUSAND asexuals in Ottawa alone! If that stat is true, I feel so surrounded by fellow aces!

Radioactive Goat

Suddenly, asexuals around Mordsith.

Thousands of them.

I've heard statistics say around 1% of the world population. Still seems a little too high, in my opinion (1% of the entire world is a lot of people).

i agree. thats 1 in 100 people. i feel as though its at least 1 in 1000 people. unless its just that people arnt as open as i am.

1 % but I'm in opposition here I would think it probably would be a little higher ( 1.5 - 2 % ) by now lol.

yeah, not sure where you're from, but think about your town population. I live in Ottawa which has a million people. 1% of a million is 10,000. Ten THOUSAND asexuals in Ottawa alone! If that stat is true, I feel so surrounded by fellow aces!

You have to keep in mind that this also means you're surrounded by 990.000 sexuals. ;)

I was just at a presentation of a research of sexual behavior in my country, it was the first research dealing with the entire population and not specific subgroups so it included many types of behavior. The question closest to asexuality was whether they've had a sexual experience and in the oldest group (I think it was from 35-49) there was 1% of those who didn't have any. So I guess this percentage is quite right, although there is a possibility that some declined the participation after finding out it's a survey about sexual behavior where they couldn't contribute.

Janus the Fox

Which is why this site doesn't have 70,000,000 members :P

Even then I say 10,000,000 of those are never made sexually aware and carry on with life without it, I only recently become aware of it some 6 months ago. Maybe it's more, but no one really knows without an extensive global Census/study on it.

Bellaitalia

Okay I also find it somewhat ironic that some of my really close friends are almost exactly like me when it comes to this kinda stuff. Two of them are virgins still and have only "dated" casually. One hasn't gone past second base and she tells her boyfriend whom she had been on and off with for 6 years that she doesn't want to "hook up". Both of them feel forced to hook up I feel. Two other friends tell me all the time that they don't understand why they can't find someone to like--and have no attraction anymore...they had relationships in the past but didnt seem to like sexual stuff. Another friend never had a bf either. I obviously love being friends with them because they are like me. It makes feel better to know that I'm not abnormal.

Also, do you think asexuality could be genetic? Both of my aunts on my dads side are single and in their 50's...I'm pretty sure they don't date and they don't have hookups either. And they have never been married.