40's

40 recently...kinda big yet subtle changes for me. Realizing I'm Ace and accepting that has led to other acceptances.

• Like 3
BaklavaGuardian

Turning 40 did seem as such a big deal. For some reason turning 30 messed with my head a bit. Not sure why, it was just like damn you're old now lol. Turning 40 was just like, Oh well another ten years passed. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

It was turning 40 and my daughters friends that made me realise I was ACE.  I hadn't heard of it before but I knew I hated being married and straight.  It didn't feel right.  It took another 4 years before I finally got out of my abusive marriage (mental and emotional not physical) and I started living my life.

I'm now 47, in a amazing relationship with an ACE man and I finally feel like ME.

My family have been amazing.  My mum was 'well that makes sense. As long as you're happy!'  BUT I've lost friends over it too.  One person I counted as a sister told me ACE was just a teenage faze (her 24 yr old daughter is ACE 🙄) and that I can't be ACE because I have a daughter!!!!!   What I don't get is she's only 5 years older than me so she knows what it was like when we were teens!  You were straight, gay or bi.  You were expected to get married and have kids.  SO that's what I did but I never felt 'straight'.  I found I was romantically attracted to anyone but not sexually.  But there wasn't anywhere to ask about it!

Honestly my daughters friends saved my life.  I don't think I could have carried on like that for much longer.  I hate the saying 'living my best life' BUT I REALLY AM!!

Unfortunately my partner is sick.  So we're making the most of the time we have.  So I'm hoping I can use this site as an escape and have fun and laugh with people.

• Like 8

That awesome!

I am glad you have such a healthy attitude.

I really hope both of you have an enjoyable time on the site. 

• Like 2

Has anyone had issues with friends not accepting you're ACE because you've been married?

I lost someone I thought was a good friend even though her own daughter is ACE!!  She kept saying I couldn't be because I'd had sex in the past.  Yeah but it doesn't mean I liked it!!  

In the end she cut me out for no reason.  I'm not even hurt anymore.  It's her loss!!!!  But I'm fed up with people my own age refusing to accept it.  

My oldest friend is the same age as me and she is ACE too.  She knew from her teens but didn't know what it was called.  Times change.  Why don't peoples attitudes??!!

Sorry I know it's a bit of a rant.  I just wondered if anyone else my age had experienced this?

• Like 2
Asexy Librarian

I have never had that happen but I have had friends look down on me for saying it’s not a bad thing to wait till marriage for sex (as a personal choice). At the time, I didn’t realize I was ace, or even knew what it was. 

Anyone who has an issue with something like orientation is not a very good friend, it seems. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I just, at 44, realized that I'm aroace. It's dizzying, I feel so many emotions. I've been in so many failed relationships due to a very sexually focused and charged (some inappropriately so) upbringing, I thought I was broken, then straight with bipolar disorder, then lesbian and FINALLY realizing that I never was interested in sex to begin with. It's been heartbreaking and freeing and scary and illuminating....and it just feels good to share that. 

AND now that I know this about myself a HUGE weight has been lifted from my shoulders. For the first time I feel like ME.

• Like 7

@TreeMarieYeah it's a head rush to realise whats been going on your whole life!!  But I found it such a relief.  I always felt I was trying to fill a hole but now I see I was just trying to be what I thought I should be and not what I am.  Does that make sense??!!!

• 2 weeks later...

i am 42, and I just realized last month that I have been Asexual this entire time.

i think i wondered about it as a teenager, but assumed it wasn't possible due to not fully understanding what it was (i confused sensual attraction with sexual for a very long time, for one thing).

it explains so much, but doesn't explain some other things.

It explains why when women would pretend to throw themselves at me sexually I had no answer for it.

• Like 3
Asexy Librarian
5 hours ago, 0svvan0 said:

i am 42, and I just realized last month that I have been Asexual this entire time.

i think i wondered about it as a teenager, but assumed it wasn't possible due to not fully understanding what it was (i confused sensual attraction with sexual for a very long time, for one thing).

it explains so much, but doesn't explain some other things.

It explains why when women would pretend to throw themselves at me sexually I had no answer for it.

Sensual and aesthetic attraction can be confusing. Glad you found your way here. Welcome!

• Like 2
Asexy Librarian

Sad that it is so difficult to have platonic friendships with the opposite sex. At least that’s my experience as a guy. The ones who aren’t interested in dating have less interest in spending quality time as friends, or the rare ones that do will only do so until they find their next relationship, and then they have no time for friends. 

The ones who do give me their time are doing so because they’re interested in taking it further. Eventually they realize I really am aro ace and they drift away, in search of other dating opportunities. 

The tough part is starting these friendships knowing how it will inevitably end. Ugh. 

I enjoy all my platonic friendships with the opposite sex, but I also tend to put a time limit on them as well.

I think it is easier for me since I am usually the one reaching out, and if I think it is time to end a relationship, I stop reaching out.

If the friendship goes the distance, great, if not, there are a lot of really interesting people out there.

Everything has an expiration date. 

So I tend to be fatalistic and enjoy the time I have, and if I get more time great, if not I invest that energy somewhere else.

Asexy Librarian
13 minutes ago, argar said:

I enjoy all my platonic friendships with the opposite sex, but I also tend to put a time limit on them as well.

I think it is easier for me since I am usually the one reaching out, and if I think it is time to end a relationship, I stop reaching out.

If the friendship goes the distance, great, if not, there are a lot of really interesting people out there.

Everything has an expiration date. 

So I tend to be fatalistic and enjoy the time I have, and if I get more time great, if not I invest that energy somewhere else.

That tends to be my pattern as well. I do have a few long-term female friends who have maintained contact throughout various relationships they’ve been in.

• Like 1
On 10/18/2022 at 11:28 AM, Asexy Librarian said:

The ones who do give me their time are doing so because they’re interested in taking it further. Eventually they realize I really am aro ace and they drift away, in search of other dating opportunities. 

I'm always wary of this. Generally I find it easier to either be a 3rd wheel with already coupled folks or hanging out with single friends who are not interested in dating women.

• Like 1
Asexy Librarian
1 hour ago, AceArospec said:

I'm always wary of this. Generally I find it easier to either be a 3rd wheel with already coupled folks or hanging out with single friends who are not interested in dating women.

I agree. It’s just easier all around. 

• Like 1

Hello ^_^

I'm back to this site but this time I have graduated from 30s to 40s... 

I came here first to hang out and find answers to questions about myself. That I have found somehow. And then life got busy irl.

But now I'm back to find answers about other people. Crazy how you can still learn huge things about people that you think you knew since forever.

• Like 4

Hello, I just realised that I have now attained Level 40 a few days ago! Doesn't time fly?

• Like 9

I'm still a few months away, but people are starting to think I'm older than I actually am, so that counts for something, right? :P

• Like 8
  • 2 weeks later...
Rain dancer81

I’m 39 but am looking forward to my 40’s.  My 20’s and 30’s I was busy having kids and raising toddlers. Pinching pennies. My 40’s will be just for watching the kids grow into people. We are also financially a lot more sound. We have a nice house which we are paying the mortgage on so will eventually own this house, we have enough savings where I feel secure enough to buy nice things. No more IKEA furniture or Walmart clothes for me. I can upgrade my taste a tad. So yeh, I think the 40’s will be my best decade yet. 

• Like 1